Can A Security Guard carry handcuffs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sig229 View Post
    That is exactly right. There are many companies that issue firearms but prohibit handcuffs. So you detain someone by holding your gun on them? What if they take off running? You just shoot them? I always have cuffs on me but would never use them unless someone was violent or refusing to cooperate.
    You probably aren't there to do anything but use lethal force against a threat to life. The contract specifies an armed guard. As in, a guard with a gun. The company doesn't want you to be hands-on, but they are required to provide a guard with a gun.

I have seen, in several states, a guard with a revolver and no additional ammunition. He is, by definition, an armed guard. He is not responsible for anything but killing someone threatening lethal force against others. He is not there to arrest people, to confront anyone, or to enforce any law or policy. He is there to kill.

So, he doesn't need handcuffs. Or pepper spray. Or anything else, except 6 bullets in the revolver.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
      You probably aren't there to do anything but use lethal force against a threat to life. The contract specifies an armed guard. As in, a guard with a gun. The company doesn't want you to be hands-on, but they are required to provide a guard with a gun.

I have seen, in several states, a guard with a revolver and no additional ammunition. He is, by definition, an armed guard. He is not responsible for anything but killing someone threatening lethal force against others. He is not there to arrest people, to confront anyone, or to enforce any law or policy. He is there to kill.

So, he doesn't need handcuffs. Or pepper spray. Or anything else, except 6 bullets in the revolver.
      You are right that sometimes a contract specifies armed security. If it didn't they would most certainly be unarmed. We have a contract where the client is mandated by DHS to provide armed guards. They have no choice in the matter.

But to say they are only there to defend against deadly force is simply inexplicable. These guards provide every security function you can think of including access control, protection from theft and vandalism, etc. And let's not forget about deterence.

I can only hope that the bolded statement above was meant tongue-in-cheek.

Comment

Originally posted by sig229 View Post
        You are right that sometimes a contract specifies armed security. If it didn't they would most certainly be unarmed. We have a contract where the client is mandated by DHS to provide armed guards. They have no choice in the matter.

But to say they are only there to defend against deadly force is simply inexplicable. These guards provide every security function you can think of including access control, protection from theft and vandalism, etc. And let's not forget about deterence.

I can only hope that the bolded statement above was meant tongue-in-cheek.
        Comparing a DHS account (where FPS dictates what the guards will do using the GSA Schedule, FPS General Orders, FPS Special Orders, and company special orders), and non-government account where the client is a small business looking to get an insurance break by having an armed guard is apples and oranges.

Its great the FPS orders require the guard to provide security functions. However, there are contracts with private companies which require the guard to be a deterrent, and only a deterrent, until lethal force is required. If you go past them, their job is to call 911 or report it to the client manager. If you get into a fight in the parking lot, the guard will call 911. Their job is to observe and report only. They are not to become involved. They are NOT to attempt to impose authority on anyone, just call the police.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Taboola

Collapse

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X