Can A Security Guard carry handcuffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can A Security Guard carry handcuffs?

I work for a company in Arkansas and have been seacrching the web looking for the answer and nothing. Can a security guard/ officer carry handcuffs?
    I'm a private security officer , non commisioned thx for your help

Have you checked Arkansas State Statute? Under federal law, no person under 18 may possesss restraints. That is the only 50 states rule. Some states prohibit citizens from carrying restraints.

90% of states have no laws on the books restricting citizens from carrying restraints.

Even if you are authorized to carry handcuffs, you get the following questions:

1. Are you authorized under statute or common law to make arrests or detainments?
    2. Are you trained, or will you seek training, in criminal law (related to arrests), defensive tactics (surviving the arrest encounter), handcuffing procedures (how to properly restrain someone), and civil liability related to arrest?

The moment you place someone in handcuffs you are depriving them of their freedom, and the many state courts have ruled you are arresting them. It may be in the name of the people (not the state), but it is still a valid arrest and all the problems associated with an arrest are now yours.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Exactly as Nathan says.. Best places to check into this, is your supervisor, local PD can give you direction, and other Security Agencies.

I would highly suggest researching your state and city, and checking into getting trained.
      Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by littlerockguard
        I work for a company in Arkansas and have been seacrching the web looking for the answer and nothing. Can a security guard/ officer carry handcuffs?
        I'm a private security officer , non commisioned thx for your help
        If you determine that you are legally authorized to carry handcuffs as a private citizen, and receive some training on citizen's arrests and handcuffing, also make sure that you are not in violation of your company's policies by carrying handcuffs. If they weren't issued to you, and your company has a policy restricting you from carrying them, your job may be in trouble...

As a retail loss prevention officer, I carry handcuffs issued by my company. Many private security officers are issued them as well.

Above all else, be safe out there.
        Last edited by LPGuy; 10-03-2006, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Out here in Washington, Security Officers are authorized to carry handcuffs, but at my current position, I am not authorized the use of cuffs (yet) even though I have made use of them in the past as an SO
          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by LPGuy
            If you determine that you are legally authorized to carry handcuffs as a private citizen, and receive some training on citizen's arrests and handcuffing, also make sure that you are not in violation of your company's policies by carrying handcuffs. If they weren't issued to you, and your company has a policy restricting you from carrying them, your job may be in trouble...

As a retail loss prevention officer, I carry handcuffs issued by my company. Many private security officers are issued them as well.

Above all else, be safe out there.
            LPGuy:
            Training is key! Training is key! Training is key! Practice! Practice! Practice! I have a retired LEO friend who had the ratchets rake his cheek. Some 40+ years later the scar remains. Unless the pawl is engaged and then double locked, it is a edged knife!
            Enjoy the day,
            Bill

Comment

Cuffs

I second the motion that if your employer wanted you to carry them, he would have issued and trained you in their use. If you are overpowered, the cuffs could be used on or against you with serious consequences.
              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                I second the motion that if your employer wanted you to carry them, he would have issued and trained you in their use. If you are overpowered, the cuffs could be used on or against you with serious consequences.
                I do hate to say it, but there are many companies who want you to carry them, but will not buy them nor give you training on them. And yes, they will discipline you if you don't buy them yourself.

My old employer was like this in the 1990s. "You better have cuffs by next week."
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                  I do hate to say it, but there are many companies who want you to carry them, but will not buy them nor give you training on them. And yes, they will discipline you if you don't buy them yourself.

My old employer was like this in the 1990s. "You better have cuffs by next week."
                  That's pretty bad. No training....I think I'd look for another position before I was slapped with a lawsuit.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                    You betcha they can be used against and on you if you loose control of the subject. Once upon a time this healthy GCSO was first to the scene to check on a report of a young lady not acting proper. This GCSO sensed something not quite right about the lady so called for back up (to include a female). Damn good thing I did. All the quiet talking and calm went away soon as the lady saw my two partners round the corner. We thought we were ready but this young lady gave us a good lesson in "being trained and being ready". I'd never witnessed the strength and speed of a small person like this lady displayed. When one of the GCSO's finally got one hand free to take her cuffs out, the lady some how got hold of one cuff. Now we have kicking, screaming, jabbing, biteing and my partner yelling "she's got the cuffs". I finally made the decision that this lady had to be taken down hard and I did just that. I hated to do it but we had been left with no choice. We had tried to be as gentle as possable but now people were getting hurt. So I put my full wieght into body slamming her into the wall then onto the ground. Even this only slowed her down long enough for one SO to cuff her (would you believe, one hand in front and the other in back with the cuffs between her legs. That one is still unexplained.) Then two SO's held her legs and I held her head the best I could to keep her from further injuring herself. Altho we felt like we had fought her for thirty minutes, witnesses stated we had her down and cuffed in about forty-five seconds. It happened so fast that people rushing to help us got there after the cuffs were on. And these were fast, healthy military folks. Come to find out it was a drug related problem. All three of us SO's had scraps, cuts and gashes from the "cuffs out of control". So when in 'cuffing class; how to and the legalities' PAY ATTENTION. The skin you save may be your own.

Sorry for the long story but thought it might cause someone to realise that cuffs are not toys and some folks will do what it takes to keep you from putting them on them.
                    Last edited by mh892; 10-03-2006, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I love it when they don't let you carry handcuffs but the orders are...

"To report any minor infractions of the law to local law-enforcement and ensure all felony violators are arrested."

Okay so how do I safely arrest them?

Comment

With a brick to the face
                        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson
                          With a brick to the face
                          My dear Larson, Can't you get to your expandable baton faster than finding a "brick"?

Your answer cracked us up. We have two guys out looking for a brick and we're timeing them. Thanks for the laugh. We were getting bored.

Comment

I aim to please
                            "The Curve" 1998

Comment

I'm taking my Asp/handcuff takedown class this week, it's a full day course so It should be really beneficial, however I have been wrong about this in the past. afterwards we will be issued our certificates and be allowed to carry baton/handcuff. although I wish we could get more training than just one class.
                              " You may make fun of us for what we do, but when it hits the fan, you'll be glad we were there"

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X