Professional Rescuer Duties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional Rescuer Duties

How many of you are classified as a "professional rescuer," which is someone who performs first aid or life saving measures for compensation?

If so, are you regulated by your State Bureau of EMS? (Or Proviencial?) Are you required to hold a DOT First Responder certificate? Is your agency required to be a "first responder" organization, "first aid squad," or "rescue squad? under state law?

What do your duties include as a professional rescuer? Are you responsible for CPR and Rescue Breathing only, or for full BLS support? Do you have AEDs and are you authorized to use them?
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

I am an EMT as part of my duties. It's not a condition of employment, but the course is available for those officers who wish to take it. I recieve no extra compensation for it, so it's not really that great of a deal.

We have full BLS first responder gear as defined by the NYS Department of Health, we're classified as a non-transporting, first response agency. We also have a student-run EMS service that's on a few nights a week. They work off the same license. If it's determined by an EMT or CFR that a patient is in need of transport to the hospital, we contact the local commercial ambulance service.

Comment

I took the EMT-A course back in the early 80's. I'm over due in taking a refresher course.

The CSST in Quebec (Workmen's Compensation Board) requires that every place of work have 1 "secouriste" (first aider) per 50 employees per shift. The government pays for the courses every 2 years.
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I'm an EMT-Basic as part of my job requirements. In addition to my Security certification I'm required to have and maintain valid CPR/AED, State EMT Certification and National Registry of EMT Certification. As a EMT/SO I get paid more than the Unarmed officers I work with and am considered higher in rank.
        Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Like most O & R security companies, policy is that we do not render first aid unless we are certified for it. My CPR certification and basic first-aid training has long since expired. Honestly, I prefer not to be involved in the duties of a medical first responder. Nevertheless, company policy or not, if no one is able or willing to help, I will as long as the victim agrees to it. I can always find another job and I will still be able to sleep at night with a good conscience.
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I am an EMT-B and have been certified since the early 80s.
            The FD I just retired from also runs the EMS.

We/they are governed by the state EMS board and also by DOT.

The EMS consists of ALS and BLS engines, ALS and BLS rescues, and ALS ambulances.

On a med call the closest engine and next available ambulance is dispatched.

The VFD I am Asst Chief of runs First Responder cals on the BLS level. Again ithe ems part is controlled by the state EMS board and DOT.

Both the paid and vfd are under the their local EMS Director and operate under the ED liscense.

Both departments have AEDs and we can and do use them.
            CPR, O2, assisting in taking meds......

Comment

Every year I try to get the hotel interested in getting AEDs to use as a marketing tool as well as to save lives. So far I have not been able to get them to buy them. I'm even having trouble from my boss. His worry is that we get the units, we get trained on using them. Someone has a heart attack. Our Officer panics & forgets we have one or forgets how to use it. We get sued

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                Every year I try to get the hotel interested in getting AEDs to use as a marketing tool as well as to save lives. So far I have not been able to get them to buy them. I'm even having trouble from my boss. His worry is that we get the units, we get trained on using them. Someone has a heart attack. Our Officer panics & forgets we have one or forgets how to use it. We get sued
                Hotel Security:
                It is all in the initial training and repetitive training. It then becomes rote. When there is an incident you respond and react instinctively.
                Discuss it with an EMT off hours and read some of the literature. The AEDs are not idiot proof. It talks you through the process and won't let you make a mistake.
                Go the additional, talk with your Canadian Heart Association representative and things will become that much clearer. They even sponsor free seminars where you get a chance to operate the equipment.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                  Hotel Security:
                  It is all in the initial training and repetitive training. It then becomes rote. When there is an incident you respond and react instinctively.
                  Discuss it with an EMT off hours and read some of the literature. The AEDs are not idiot proof. It talks you through the process and won't let you make a mistake.
                  Go the additional, talk with your Canadian Heart Association representative and things will become that much clearer. They even sponsor free seminars where you get a chance to operate the equipment.
                  Enjoy the day,
                  Bill
                  Thanks Bill,

The problem is I already know this. I've been following AEDs since they first came out. I even visited the company that first started to make them in the Seatle area over 10 years ago. I'm sold. It's my boss & owners I can't get on board

Comment

I am a FF and EMT for my full time job. I work part time at the local mall. We have several EMT's on staff and have BLS equipment in the office. We respond to all medicals on property and provide care until the fire department or ambulance arrives, we pass on to them what we got then assist as requested.
                    Robert
                    Here endith the lesson

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                      Thanks Bill,

The problem is I already know this. I've been following AEDs since they first came out. I even visited the company that first started to make them in the Seatle area over 10 years ago. I'm sold. It's my boss & owners I can't get on board
                      Hotel Security:
                      If you know someone in the commercial insurance business, ask them how much the liability insurance premimums would be reduced in the course of, oh say, six months? Now the tricky part. Who is the carrier for your hotel or chain of hotels? Ask a person in the insurance industry, say your life insurance agent, to contact a trusted friend who works for the hotel's carrier and on the annual audit or courtesy call, bring up the fact premimums could be reduced if AEDs were available and hotel had a force of folks trained in their use.
                      It sounds devious; however, you would never be in the line of fire.
                      Bear in mind the old adage, "no good deed ever goes unpunished!"
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill

Comment

Great advice Bill!

My boss often meets with the claims adjustor for our insurance broker. I'm sending him an e-mail asking him to look into the savings on the premiums.

Neil

Comment

AED's are pretty damned foolproof nowadays. I have basic first aid, CPR, AED and child, and infant CPR ratings as of now.

The City has started a new program called Volunteers In Police Service, and part of that will be Getting Certified for C.E.R.T. (Citizen Ermergency Response TEams) This is a federal program thru homeland security. We will be applying for grants from various organizations. (the trick may be convincing the Police Union we aren't taking any of their jobs away.)

CERT training will be an added bonus for me to offer employers.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X