Power outage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power outage

I am working the overnight shift tonight at the Gatehouse.
    I got a call that plant wide power outage at our site is now
    going to last all weekend. The 13K circuit breakers
    are outside and the electrical crew, since it is pouring
    rain here in Boston for safety measures, won't work
    in the rain. That I can understand

Only utlities working at the
    Gatehouse are water for the restroom and the telephone
    No power for the coffee pot, or 'frig. or microwave oven.
    Just Jolly. No Power and lots of fun doing patrols in buildings
    where your only source of light is our Wal-Mart flashlight
    with size "D" batteries.

Just my luck the Ghost and Goblins will have a fun night with my
    imagination. And any noises and things that go bump in
    the night will be multiplied
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

I know what you mean. Here in Arizona we have monsoons that knock the power out sometimes. About 19 years ago when I moved here after getting out of the military I was a swing shift security guard at a large factory. When the storm hit and the power went out I didn't know what to do. It's not easy patrolling a 200,000 sq. foot single story facility with a flashlight. Especially when there were stray cats that would get in. They really know how to freak someone out in the dark.

Good luck and remember that ghosts only bother those that deserve it. lol

Comment

We recently had our elevators renovated at the hotel & they are putting in a new heating system. Both need to be connected to the emergency generator. In the past month they've had to shut off the power overnight twice to do the work. One night last week for about 3 hours our 25 story building had no lights, water or ELEVATORS! I had to hike upstairs 20 floors twice. (Hey, I'm 50 now!). The hotel was more than 50% full too! Up on the floors I have never seen a place so dark. We've had power failures in the past but at least there is some emergency lighting in the halls. There was absoultly none & with the guest room doors closed there was nothing coming in from outside.

On a side note, I don't think the 2 guards sent by the contract company were too happy when they found out they would be responsible for patrolling 10 floors, up & down, without elevators.
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
        We recently had our elevators renovated at the hotel & they are putting in a new heating system. Both need to be connected to the emergency generator. In the past month they've had to shut off the power overnight twice to do the work. One night last week for about 3 hours our 25 story building had no lights, water or ELEVATORS! I had to hike upstairs 20 floors twice. (Hey, I'm 50 now!). The hotel was more than 50% full too! Up on the floors I have never seen a place so dark. We've had power failures in the past but at least there is some emergency lighting in the halls. There was absoultly none & with the guest room doors closed there was nothing coming in from outside.

On a side note, I don't think the 2 guards sent by the contract company were too happy when they found out they would be responsible for patrolling 10 floors, up & down, without elevators.
        Talk about a liability!! Was the hotel's insurance company aware of this?
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
          Talk about a liability!! Was the hotel's insurance company aware of this?
          Yes.(Here's some extra characters since the forum will not post anything under 10 letters )

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
            Yes.(Here's some extra characters since the forum will not post anything under 10 letters )
            Whew..........

Comment

Something to take into mind, make sure your radios are still getting charged during a power outage. At the campground we used my vehicle jump starter battery pack and a 110V ac inverter to charge our radios for a 3 day period when we lost power from the remenants of hurricane ernesto.

Embarrasing to say, but we never even thought of this until the second night of the outage, when all our radios died during an emergency with a live wire down in the facility. We were all perplexed at first, and then realised that stupidly, we all put our radios on the charger at the end of shift the first night of the blackout, expecting them to be magically charged the next morning as usual,, even though the chargers had no power.
              Last edited by cnick001; 09-30-2006, 07:20 PM.

Comment

I wonder what you do when your site is large enough to require a repeater in order for the portables to have an effective range? A CPU would help in the short run, but not for 3 or more days.

Comment

Originally posted by copelandamuffy
                  I am working the overnight shift tonight at the Gatehouse.
                  I got a call that plant wide power outage at our site is now
                  going to last all weekend. The 13K circuit breakers
                  are outside and the electrical crew, since it is pouring
                  rain here in Boston for safety measures, won't work
                  in the rain. That I can understand

Only utlities working at the
                  Gatehouse are water for the restroom and the telephone
                  No power for the coffee pot, or 'frig. or microwave oven.
                  Just Jolly. No Power and lots of fun doing patrols in buildings
                  where your only source of light is our Wal-Mart flashlight
                  with size "D" batteries.

Just my luck the Ghost and Goblins will have a fun night with my
                  imagination. And any noises and things that go bump in
                  the night will be multiplied
                  Inform your company management or the client of a new invention....."portable generators". A 3000W unit should do just fine. For safety sake patrols into totaly unlighted spaces should be temporarily suspended from dark till dawn.

Comment

Originally posted by mh892
                    Inform your company management or the client of a new invention....."portable generators". A 3000W unit should do just fine. For safety sake patrols into totaly unlighted spaces should be temporarily suspended from dark till dawn.
                    We have a diesel generator that normally supplies power for the pumps, hallway lighting & 1 of the 6 elevators. The repair work was being done on it. We INCREASED security patrols. We normally have 1 Night Auditor, 1 Houseman(cleaner), 1 Maintenance man & 1 Security overnight. That night we had: The Rooms Division Manager, the Assistant Director of Security (me!), 2 hotel security officers, 2 contract security officers, the Director of Maintenance, the Assistant Director of Maintenance, a Maintenance man, a Houseman & 2 Night Auditors. Even cheap flashlights make a difference in cmplete darkness.

Comment

Don't be too envious, our generators supply the Security lunch room. Meaning the fridge, microwave and coffee maker work, oh, the emergency lighting and security systems toooooo.
                      Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                      Groucho Marx

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X