Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Security Guards who think they are cops.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SeanCO
    replied
    While I work for a small company handling section 8 housing I can only speak for my fellow officers and they are top notch. All but me are former LEO's and conduct themselves in a professional manner in all situations, however they all know what the "line" is and do not cross it. We have a very good working relationship with the local municipalities and we can always count on them when we need them and vice versa, I have not had any bad encounters with a LEO yet, in fact they have all treated me with the same amount of respect I give them. I do want to be a cop, however I am anything but a "WANNABE", I am working hard to get into law enforcement and count what I am doing now as nothing other than a step into that direction and a great learning experience. Once I am done with school I fully intend and am confident I will find my "home" with a department.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    I'm also told that there's another Security Officer Union, a specific union under federal collective barganing statutes, called the Department of Homeland Security Police Officer's Union. They're organizing regular security unions to deal with the fact that, as an employer, I don't have to enter into a collective barganing agreement with the IOSU or whatever that jack-of-all trades union is.

I came from a state with no union representation authorized. Those who tried were blacklisted, and there are right to work laws protected the employers.

However, I don't see a problem with a collective barganing agreement with a professional security officer union or association. Most of the things I believe in, I have a feeling people are fighting for. Decent wage, better equipment, focus on job and not "value added services," proper fitting uniforms, employers who will back their employees, and proper training in the tools they're recieving.

Leave a comment:

• S/O245
    replied
    You cant make everyone out to be a bad S/O just because of one or two. The same thing is done with LEO's. As for because of being contract or making not alot of money. Alot of Security Officers dont make much money. I'm one of them. But i still go out and do my job everyday and sometimes im even called in on a off day. I sometimes only get one day off sometiems i get two but not in a row. And sometimes i do get two in a row off. I work holidays im away from my family, dont get to see my step neice and alot of things. I do this because this is what I do. Im a Security Officer and damn proud to be one. Proud of what i have done in the past and now. If someone a citizen or police officer thinks different thats his/her problem. I would like the police officers to respect me. I know alot do. I dont know about all of them on the local pd where my post is. But if they dont respect me then fine. I really could care less. I have a duty to do. They have a duty to do. So i say do it stay out of my way and im out of his/her way. And if i need them or they need me for the job then great. I did not become a S/O to work for police officers. I became a S/O to help protect life and property on and off duty if needed. Same as when i was a police explorer.

Some Security Officers dont have arrest powers etc. But do we need them. When i hlped catch that DUI i caught him being DUI and called it in right away till they found our location and made the arrest. So again you see we both do the same thing. And we both S/O's and LEOS are needed. Just because your a LEO dont mean you are the only one helping to protect people and property. LEOS are important so are S/O's and the Military and others. I know what my authority is and not. I dont have Powers to Arrest as i said i dont need any. All I have to do is catch what ever it is then call them. I think its the TV that makes us out to be some crap. Even little kids say thats just a security guard or security officer. They dont think they can do anything but they are wrong. Ask two police officers that happened to be bad officers they got caught by a security officer they got arrested put in jail and terminated of police powers. And they are kinda right we can only do so much. But thats the i dont need powers part. Once you have gone as far as you can with what ever authority you have you can call others in with more powers. We only do our jobs. If anyone has a problem with it too bad. Cause wether they like it our not S/O's are out 24/7 on duty.

And as for the thread about think we are cops. I dont think im a cop. I dont wanna be a cop right now.. IM A S/O AND PROUD of it. Just because we wear uniforms does not mean we are trying to be a cop. Or carry certain gear we are suppose to have. I dont see how doing your assigned duty of protecting people & property makes you trying to be a cop. The National Guard helps to protect people & property they are not trying to be cops. Some of them are Military PO's.

www.napsoa.org

Stay safe All

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    3rd_shift, I'd say that you have just about got it right.

With that attitude, you will enjoy the job for what it is.

Leave a comment:

• 3rd_shift
    replied
    Much better.
    Now you are fitting the profile, professionalism, and personality of law enforcement officers I have gladly met at my asigned security posts.
    Welcome aboard ARC.
    For the rate of pay I make, I would never waste my time trying to even look like a cop.
    I'm not even a good wannabe.
    I'm too lazy to wannabe a cop.
    I just babysit my post and take care of it.
    If the cops are really needed, I gladly call them (911) and enjoy a live action version of the TV show "COPS" shortly there-after.
    And yes, I do tease and make fun of any coworkers who act like cops just because they are so easy to rile up. LOL!

Leave a comment:

• ARealCop
    replied
    Originally posted by UncleDooly
    I would think that, if someone is being disrespectful to a cop - name calling, etc., they were probably doing something to attract that cops attention in the first place, in which case, I would prefer that cops in my neighborhood not ignore them. Although it is a case of having respect for a law enforcement officer, a more important aspect is, what kind of treatment can we average citizens expect from someone who shows open disrespect or hostility to a policeman.

Good point

Leave a comment:

• UncleDooly
    replied
    Originally posted by ARealCop
    Actually that depends. That's what we have "Disorderly Conduct" for. I am only going to ignore so much, especially in the eye of the public or in a bad neighborhood where my reputation is at stake. But, I see your point.

I would think that, if someone is being disrespectful to a cop - name calling, etc., they were probably doing something to attract that cops attention in the first place, in which case, I would prefer that cops in my neighborhood not ignore them. Although it is a case of having respect for a law enforcement officer, a more important aspect is, what kind of treatment can we average citizens expect from someone who shows open disrespect or hostility to a policeman.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Actually that depends. That's what we have "Disorderly Conduct" for. I am only going to ignore so much, especially in the eye of the public or in a bad neighborhood where my reputation is at stake. But, I see your point.
    I <3 disorderly conduct. Its a breach of the peace, a misdomeanor, and is going on before you, so its arrestable by private citizens in Wisconsin.

Leave a comment:

• ARealCop
    replied
    Originally posted by bigdog
    would u consider s/o that r special deputies realcops?

Yeah, to me, a cop is a cop...part-time, full-time, whatever.

Leave a comment:

• ARealCop
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    When people call you names, you just ignore it and move on.

Leave a comment:

• 3rd_shift
    replied
    I have been away a while from here,
    and look what has hatched.
    I may research the possibility, of thinking about the possibility of a response to this thread and someone's sigline later in the near, or (probably) distant future.

Leave a comment:

• bigdog
    replied
    would u consider s/o that r special deputies realcops?

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by UncleDooly
    Much like when someone's signature continues to inform you that your position is far below theirs and advises you to "deal with it."
    Does he still have that? Honestly, I stopped paying attention.

Leave a comment:

• UncleDooly
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    Good. I'm glad to hear it. As far as unkind remarks by some S/O's, why not let it roll off "like water off a duck's back?" You can't change everyone. Besides, as you already know, you need to have a tough exterior to make it as a LEO because of the disrespect that comes with the job. When people call you names, you just ignore it and move on.
    Much like when someone's signature continues to inform you that your position is far below theirs and advises you to "deal with it."

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Absolutely! But it is hard when little turds send me private messages like ........did:
    Good. I'm glad to hear it. As far as unkind remarks by some S/O's, why not let it roll off "like water off a duck's back?" You can't change everyone. Besides, as you already know, you need to have a tough exterior to make it as a LEO because of the disrespect that comes with the job. When people call you names, you just ignore it and move on.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X