Is this misconduct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this misconduct?

Judge says guard who "saw ghosts" was not guilty of misconduct, as his employer claimed in firing the guard and attempting to deny unemployment benefits.

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/onl...uct/6311SIW457

You be the judge, is this misconduct? If you were the judge or the employer, where would you draw the line on misconduct?

Geoff Kohl, editor
    SecurityInfoWatch.com
    Last edited by SIW Editor; 11-15-2005, 12:33 AM. Reason: typo :-(

That is not misconduct. The guard reported what he saw to his immediate supervisor. That should have been the end of it! Apparently neither the supervisor or his company has seen the series of ghosts and other sightings presented on both the History and Discovery Channels.
    There is a series on Court TV entitled "Psychic Detectives" which is most interesting. The police officers interviewed are very much impressed by the abilities of these gifted folks.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Comment

I don't care if an employee sees ghosts, spooks, spectors, or freaky lights. It is an unsual occurance, a report should be made, and if sufficiently unnerving, a supervisor should be called.

Among that fact that there is no conclusive evidence that ghosts do or not exist, that the belief in such phenomenon may be a protected civil right (religious), there are also the issues that the employee could be in a hazardous situation from ELF or other electromagnetic radiation sources altering their perceptions.

I wish I could find it, but I do remember reading about a series of events where exposure to EMF caused hallucinations in others.

Personally, I am capable of detecting 60 Hz two and three phase from ranges of 25 to 50 feet, and it drives me insane if its not EMF shielded or spread spectrum. Thankfully, a supervisor also could detect 60 Hz transformers in operation, and understood why I knew someone was in a building with no other indicators - they had turned on a piece of equipment, and we both could hear the thing "humming." The employee on the previous shift couldn't detect the signal until he was RIGHT on it, like many people.

Oh, for the record, 60 Hz sounds like your standing underneath a high tension power line. That crackling noise and hum.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I would not fire him no. I would rule that the employer violated him. Alot of people see some thigs. police officers military people security etc. Once a Hamilton County Deputy was called to check out something in the sky a citizen called 911 and reported it. The Officer arrvied on scene and its all recorded on raido traffic and cruiser cam he also seen the thing in the sky. He told the dispatcher i dont know what it is. Im not sure if a Military Fighter Jet came or not on that one. But I have heard of other cases where fighters have came in the area from Wright Patterson AF Base to check out things in the sky. If for example that citzen where a S/O and they fired him/her for it should they fire the deputy who seen the same thing ? and fire the cruiser cam too. I guess things like that should be checked out you never know.

Stay Safe All

Comment

Apples and Oranges

I understand the point you are making but the situation you just outlined is not the same thing. The deputy that saw the UFO had the benefit of independent witnesses and electronic substantiation. The deputy would have tangible documentation had the SO taken disciplinary action.

BTW, I used to live/work near Wright Pat AFB. I have seen some anomalous things too.
          I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
          -Lieutenant Commander Data
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
            I understand the point you are making but the situation you just outlined is not the same thing. The deputy that saw the UFO had the benefit of independent witnesses and electronic substantiation. The deputy would have tangible documentation had the SO taken disciplinary action.

BTW, I used to live/work near Wright Pat AFB. I have seen some anomalous things too.
            You have a point. UFOs are just that, unidentified objects that happen to be flying. The person stated that there was an apparation directly in front of him, with no proof.

You know, this might turn into an ADA case, if the employee is found to have an undiagnosed mental health condition. Unlike public law enforcement, we have to stretch to terminate an ADA protected employee, usually having an attorney write up an "undue hardship on enterprise" brief to present to DOJ before firing the individual. That's after you try to reasonably accomodate them.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

LOL this reminds me of a time when i was like 11 or 12 the security officer and local deputies were trying to talk a teenage girl down from a watertower near. and the sheriff chopper unit was flying over. Now i did not put LOL cause the girl was on the tower but our next door neighbors budy was drunk as hell. And hes goes look man thats a UFO and we all busted laughing he was so drunk he was for real. the S/O had his car spotlight on top of the tower and deputies had lights on it too and a officer had to start climbing that tower to get her down. I think the FD gave him some safety thing to use on the way up. But that drunk was funny saying look its a UFO. he goes im calling chan 9 he got his friends port phone and 4 real was going to. The girl had some sort of problems going on. Cause her fahter was standing in our yard watching the officers try to get her down. That was on big tower too. If i was that deputy i would be like sheriff its time for a damn raise and quick. then we all know the sheriff would say what i cant hear you lol. j/k.

Stay Safe All

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X