Martial arts and use of force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martial arts and use of force

What are some of your thoughts on the martial arts? Do any of you practice this? If so, have you found it helpful as part of your use of force continuum?

I have practiced various systems for the past 15 years and currently train in muay thai. I have found this greatly helps my orientation with distance and angle to my suspect or person I am speaking to, as well as a better sense of timing and understanding of body mechanics. However, the striking aspects cannot be used in a non-combat application such as arrests or compliance holds.
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

There is not conflict. The arts temper force with reason and sound judgement, as does the force continuum. The problem lies with the person executing the technique. Most, if not all, defensive tactics training utilizes basic martial arts technique. In a sense, DT training is an art, in its own right.
    I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
    -Lieutenant Commander Data
    sigpic

Comment

Martial Arts are great. I prefer the grappling arts for DT purposes. Prior to Security I worked in a RTC and holds with minor pain compliance worked fine. Strikes will get you sued. I've practiced Aikido for four years.

Comment

I have found having experience with full contact striking makes me more prepared to handle such an attack. There is much less of a panicked response to a sudden punch or even an attack with a melee weapon. As far as employing those methods with defensive tactics, I have found great use for basic wristlocks and armbars, leg scoop takedowns, and finger holds. There is also a system of "trapping hands" I used to practice that becomes very useful when bridging a reactionary gap and initally laying hands on a suspect.
        "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

I agree, that the striking arts are excellent for gaining the appreciation for real time speed. I did Krav Maga for a liittle over a year and it is some very solid and practical training. If one is to practice martial arts for the purpose of self defense or combat then it is essential that the practicioner practices with real speed. Of course, this is after learning the technique.

Comment

What is krav maga? What type of methods and tools does it employ? I have heard this name before, but never seen it.

Comment

It is an Israeli Martial Art taught to Israeli Special Forces. A great deal of striking. Strikes used to incapacitate very fast..and sometimes followed by a hold. It is dynamic art..if there is a school in your area..try it out especially with your Muay Thai background. You'd be pleasantly surprised.
              Last edited by The_Mayor; 11-09-2005, 08:21 PM.

Comment

They have a class for that at the local gun club, but unfortunately I never do have the proper time and schedule to be able to attend. Someday I shall though.

Comment

Does the system incorporate physical conditioning as part of the program? If so, what type?

Comment

Physical conditioning in Krav Maga usually consists of calistenics for warm up. The physical conditioning is not as intensive as Muay Thai.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mayor
                      Physical conditioning in Krav Maga usually consists of calistenics for warm up. The physical conditioning is not as intensive as Muay Thai.
                      Most of the systems I worked with seem to have that dilemma
                      Actually the jkd I was involved with ten years ago was more intensive, but I have since disassociated myself with that.

Comment

Did you like Jeet Kune Do?

Comment

It was the most challenging thing I ever did. I enjoyed the training immensely and it still influences me to this day. However, I ended up leaving after 5 years of it because of the constant political infighting, the feelings of superiority everybody in the group was getting, and the insistence that one man's way of doing things (Bruce Lee) was set in stone. The very thing had become the "classical mess" he wished to eliminate in the first place. Unprofessionalism and disrespect had become commonplace, so I decided to leave, feeling the man himself would turn over in his grave if he knew. I am happier doing something more "classical".

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X