• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennsix
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    I hope this guard wasn't chasing him
    yeah ne was chasing the suspect. however, the officer did not realize the suspect was armed.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Tennsix
    Man Gets 30 Years For Shooting Mall Guard

INDIANAPOLIS -- A man was sentenced to 30 years in prison Tuesday for shooting and wounding a security guard and a bystander at Circle Centre Mall in 1999.

Ahmad Edwards had been convicted of attempted murder in the July 1999 incident. Authorities said Edwards fired a gun while running from the mall's Parisian store, where he allegedly had stolen a pair of shoes.

One of the bullets grazed an unarmed security guard, and another bullet injured a bystander, authorities said
    I hope this guard wasn't chasing him
    Last edited by Mr. Security; 01-25-2006, 09:02 AM. Reason: Added Bold to "unarmed"

Leave a comment:

• Tennsix
    replied
    Just A Reminder To Stay Safe

Man Gets 30 Years For Shooting Mall Guard

INDIANAPOLIS -- A man was sentenced to 30 years in prison Tuesday for shooting and wounding a security guard and a bystander at Circle Centre Mall in 1999.

Ahmad Edwards had been convicted of attempted murder in the July 1999 incident. Authorities said Edwards fired a gun while running from the mall's Parisian store, where he allegedly had stolen a pair of shoes.

One of the bullets grazed an unarmed security guard, and another bullet injured a bystander, authorities said

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Serpico
    We were only to use force if the non complaint subject had stolen over $50 worth of merchandise. Makes an interesting situation when they've got their pockets filled with wrenches and screwdrivers
    Yea, and don't forget about the framing hammer!

Leave a comment:

• Serpico
    replied
    We were only to use force if the non complaint subject had stolen over $50 worth of merchandise. Makes an interesting situation when they've got their pockets filled with wrenches and screwdrivers

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by EMTGuard
    As for detaining anyone, when I was hired and went through the required training we were told that we never detain anyone. We can trick someone into remaining on site by 'implying' that they are not allowed to leave. We can do that by phrasing the way we say things such as, "Sir, would you mind coming with me to the security office?", or "Maam, would you please wait right here for a minute?" in an authoritive manner while we summoned local law enforcement. At no time were we to block someone from leaving by standing in their way or grabing them. By asking them instead of making it an order we can always say that they were never unlawfully detained and if they wanted to leave then they could have at anytime.
    Sounds all too familiar.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Personally support any law that provides more protection to Security Officers who are assaulted while performing their duties. It is very similar to the problems we encountered when i worked as a State Correctional Officer. Inmates regularly assaulted COs and threw urine and feces at us. When we would go to the legislature asking for harsher penalities for the people that assulted us we always had someone saying "They are just prison guards. Why should we give them any privilages?"
    As for detaining anyone, when I was hired and went through the required training we were told that we never detain anyone. We can trick someone into remaining on site by 'implying' that they are not allowed to leave. We can do that by phrasing the way we say things such as, "Sir, would you mind coming with me to the security office?", or "Maam, would you please wait right here for a minute?" in an authoritive manner while we summoned local law enforcement. At no time were we to block someone from leaving by standing in their way or grabing them. By asking them instead of making it an order we can always say that they were never unlawfully detained and if they wanted to leave then they could have at anytime.

Leave a comment:

• bigdog
    replied
    I thought it was odd too but u have to remember alot of cops were former security officers themselves. the are oposing the stun gun restriction rto the public bill too

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by bigdog
    state of florida fraternal order of police posted on their website that they are supporting the battery on security officer bill under their bill supported section.
    That's a mixed message, at best. FoP routinely campaigns against private intrusion on law enforcement activities, stating that security are not LEOs and should have no additional protections... But the state chapter endorces such a protection?

Glad to see the FL FOP (Who dosen't have the huge collective bargining power that their northern brothers do) is supporting it.

Leave a comment:

• bigdog
    replied
    state of florida fraternal order of police posted on their website that they are supporting the battery on security officer bill under their bill supported section.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    [QUOTE=UncleDooly]
    Originally posted by UncleDooly
    You mean the gas cart.
    We had an electric cart and they broke that one... I didn't like the gas cart... couldn't sneak around on it.

I don't remember names well..... We might have met.
    Was the electric the one brought from Skyway? I remember Cory Schmitt rolling up in that thing at about 40. Then they gave it to me, and Cory was afraid for his life after I stepped on the gas.

Leave a comment:

• UncleDooly
    replied
    [QUOTE=UncleDooly]You mean the gas cart.
    We had an electric cart and they broke that one... I didn't like the gas cart... couldn't sneak around on it.

I don't remember names well..... We might have met.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by bigdog
    exactly what we r saying is that by virtue of our position we should get more authority than an average citizen
    Right. This is a hard, hard, road to climb, as your not acting on behalf of the government, who bestows these powers. Hopefully, the opposition will not be that stiff against it from law enforcement and citizen's activist groups.

The Homeland Security angle is good, and hopefully it can be argued successfully.

Leave a comment:

• bigdog
    replied
    exactly what we r saying is that by virtue of our position we should get more authority than an average citizen

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by UncleDooly
    I don't remember names well..... mine is Johnnie McCoy. We might have met.

...picture on my website (I didn't have the beard then)
    http://www.awfullyfunny.com
    I know you, but damn it, I can't remember WHY I know you. We've met. I mean, we met at work.

In other news... Folks who are not in Florida, read change493.org, and post your thoughts on it? If you notice in the links, they all point to CIS, (a security company in St. Petersburg), and the plaque's awarded to the senators have CIS Protection Officer badges affixed to them.
    Last edited by N. A. Corbier; 11-15-2005, 10:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X