officer safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• officer safety

How do u all feel about the bill filed in the fl house regarding enhanced penalties for battery on s/o, check out house bill 85. which basically says if on duty a battery on a licensed security officer while on duty would be elevated from a misdemeanor 1st to a felony third.
    Last edited by bigdog; 11-20-2007, 08:35 AM.
    "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Sounds like a wonderful proposal. Texas recently passed an upgraded assault law that made an assault on a security officer the same offense as assaulting a police officer. We have seen fewer instances of this happening since then.
    "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog
      how do u all feel about the bill filed in the fl house regardinding enhanced penaties for battery on s/o, check out housebill 85. which basically says if on duty a battery on a licensed security officer while on duty would be elevated
      from a midemeanor 1st to a felony third,
      Finally. Is FALI backing this legislation again? Its been up for years, but dies in committee - the legislators feel that they're granting security special authority if they pass it.

This is the same redef that security officers who work for junior colleges get, btw.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Florida Association Of Security Companies Is Backing Who Fali

Comment

Only Applies To Security Officers

Comment

Also Fldoacs Is Backing

Comment

Got a link to FASC? I remember FASO, but I also remember what happened to them.

FALI is the Florida Association of Licensed Investigators. They seem to try to champion the security industry, as PIs are partially governed by the same laws.

I believe this is good news.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

no sorry dont have a link

Comment

Seems fair to me. Security often deals with the same dangerous individuals as LE. At any rate, don't forget that you can always file a PI case. Many police officers do this when they suffer injury at the hands of an offender. Of course, if the bad guy doesn't have any assets, it may be an exercise in futility.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                    Seems fair to me. Security often deals with the same dangerous individuals as LE. At any rate, don't forget that you can always file a PI case. Many police officers do this when they suffer injury at the hands of an offender. Of course, if the bad guy doesn't have any assets, it may be an exercise in futility.
                    I consistantly remember the arguments on why this law usually died in committee:

"But they're private citizens, why should they be different?"
                    "This will give security guards common-law authority to detain people who hit them." (Common law authority to detain for felony with personal knowledge, can't get more personal than being hit yourself.)
                    "Only public employees should have this."

They seem to have forgotten that private security officers providing services to the Junior Colleges of the State are already accorded this redefinition, another instance of the state trying to make private police because the JC's can't afford State University Police.

Comment

that be considered a forcible felony. probably also afraid that s/o would shoot someone who hit them. deadly force clause in fss 776

Comment

that be considered a forcible felony. probably also afraid that s/o would shoot someone who hit them. deadly force clause in fss 776
                        Damn, your right, it would be a forcible felony. And you know that someone out there is going to forget that you can only use deadly force to terminate a forcible felony if no other reasonable option is available, and you can only use deadly force to terminate the flight of a forcible felon if no other reasonable option is available.

*BG hits Ofc*
                        *Ofc hits BG*
                        *BG runs*
                        *Ofc shoots BG because he's a fleeing forcible felon*

Ouch.

Comment

how does the resist with violence statute apply to security officers?

Comment

how do u all feel about the bill filed in the fl house regardinding enhanced penaties for battery on s/o, check out housebill 85. which basically says if on duty a battery on a licensed security officer while on duty would be elevated
                            from a midemeanor 1st to a felony third,
                            While lying in the hospital, it will be very satisfying to know that the guy who hit me with a 2x4 is being prosecuted as a felon.

I think it is a reasonable law but, since we're the only ones who will know about it, .... revenge, after the fact is not very comforting....haha.

Of course, every little bit helps but I would prefer they work on deterents.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                              ....snip, snip....
                              and you can only use deadly force to terminate the flight of a forcible felon if no other reasonable option is available.
                              I don't believe "flight" is a felony, or constitutes a felony-in-progress (Florida), but you can bet your bottom some idiot would....haha.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X