Stay warm out there.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stay warm out there.

What's the temperature dropping into dangerous levels of coldness. I feel the need to bring up some basic tips for the stuck working out in this cold. A lot of this will seem to be common sense but to others these tips may just keep you from freezing your tail off.

Tip #1 keep dry. Wet clothes will suck the heat out of you in a heartbeat. Keeping dry is the secret to keeping warm. As soon as you start to sweat remove layers to cool off.

Tip #2 dress in layers. This goes into tip #1 but having enough layers to trap heat and to release it when need be is good for regulating your body temperature.

Tip #3 wool is king . One of the great things about wool is that it will still be a good insulator when wet. This is a godsend when talking about socks and other areas close to your skin as mid layers. I use polypropylene long John's as a wicking layer and then use wool to keep warm. Wool is not cheap but the cost of getting sick is even more so I am willing to make this investment.

Tip #4 cotton kills. For cold weather cotton will spread moisture all around and it will cool you down. This is great for summer time but worthless in the winter months.

Tip #5 know where your heat will escape to. There are three major areas where heat will escape from on your body . The head the chest and the feet. As you start to get cold the body will first stop sending warm blood to your limbs. The feet first then the hands then the head. This is the beginning stages of hypothermia.

Tip #6 your body is a furnace. The human body runs off of food and water. During times of cold weather your calorie intake needs to increase in order to have enough energy on hand to produce its own heat. You are going to want complex carbohydrates and some sugars to keep warm. Also if possible hot fluids are good for warming the body as well.
    Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
    Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

cold weather

I am outside for about 85-90% of my 10hr overnight shift. The coldest night I had to work was about 2 years ago. -20 windchill. It wasn't unbearable due to the fact I had the correct clothing on. In layers. But It was cold. I check the weather a few times before I work. So there is no surprises.

fun fact. Iphones freeze when they get too cold. Similar to when they get too hot. Inside chest pocket doesn't keep the phone at a usable temp

Comment

I'm fortunate enough now that I really only need to venture outdoors to check for a parking permit and unit number when someone leaves the lights of their car on in the parking lot, as opposed to when I was at Killington doing outside patrols at 7 degrees which felt like -11 with the wind...

If i ever get chilly, I can always walk into the pool area of my condo where it's a balmy 80 degrees in there.
      “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
      "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I work in Colorado and I spend the majority of my shift out doors in all types of weather.

My uniform includes a vest and duty belt and I find a jacket too bulky over all that. So I usually layer up under my uniform (BDU Pants and a polo under the vest)

I start with a base wicking layer and then (situation dependent) an insulating layer then an outer layer under the uniform. I also make a point of using good quality water proof footwear. I find that keeping my feet dry and warm is half the battle

Comment

Originally posted by HospitalMan2000
          I remember a few winters ago working as a parking enforcement officer at a Metro Boston hospital and they never provided me with any type of cold-weather garments. Remind you, this was a fierce winter with sub-zero temperatures, bone-chilling winds and copious amounts of frozen precipitation. Well, my job was to check all of the parking stickers affixed to employee's cars to make sure they were parking in the correct lots. The most senior employees obviously had the closer lots, least senior, furthest, etc. Well, to make a long story, short, I was out there with cheap, thin-lined polyester blue paints and some generic custodian blue shirt with my own personal jacket on because it was the warmest thing I had. No gloves, no hats, I think my ears suffered permanent damage that winter, at the least, frost nip. I remember a fellow compadre pulling up asking me why I didn't have anything to keep me warm, and I told him they never provided me with anything. He asked if I wanted to wear his grubby hat and gloves and I politely declined, because I would rather have lost an appendage than get head lice or a bacterial infection on one of my cuticles. The moral of the story is, I had enough of being treated like a piece of trash and walked off the job, I did return their measly uniform, but at the end of the day, it wasn't even worth keeping just for spite.
          Was there a reason you couldn't purchase your own cold weather gear? My employer provides a cheap "Law Pro" coat and the basic uniform and that's it. Hit a surplus store and pick up some used polypropylene long johns

Comment

When I worked for a mom and pop company I had to pay for my own uniforms. I wasn't willing to pay $200-ish for the winter jacket so I just bought a thick fleece liner and wore it under the fall jacket. As for the hat, I didn't want to pay $30 for the winter hat with the company logo so I wore a $5 plain black tuque.

Comment

"Officer must wear department issued uniform only and not outside garments due to keeping consistent the image of our department." So, if I did what you tell me to, I'd be breaking department policy,
              How is this NOT breaking department policy then?

I was out there with cheap, thin-lined polyester blue paints and some generic custodian blue shirt with MY OWN PERSONAL JACKET on because it was the warmest thing I had.
              If you can wear your own coat over their uniform certainly you can wear some good thermals under it.
              Last edited by Ingio Montoya; 03-17-2016, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Console,

What you wrote brings back a haunting memory of mine when I was working an overnight shift in the Merrimack Valley region for an undisclosed contract security firm. First, this post was in the parking lot of a rather shady section 8 housing complex, and I had to use my own vehicle to "observe and report". Well, there was no way I could leave my car running for eight solid hours, due to high gas prices at the time, so I bundled up with a nice fleece vest, down jacket, hat, gloves, etc, all in matching black color. Well, I knew the road supey liked to perform "pop-quizzes" and sneak up on us, not like I was doing anything wrong, but he felt the need to operate in a convert manner to try and "catch us in the act", whatever the hell that was suppose to mean. Well, I see him enter the lot, he sees me, he comes over to my vehicle in person, knocks on the glass, and I get out. He then kneed me right in the lower abdomen and tried to uppercut me, but I saw it coming. As he swung upward, I caught his arm, grabbed hold of the accompanying shoulder and proceeded to put him into an anaconda vice lock. At this point, I was completely seeing red as I thought to myself, "who the hell does this guy think he is?" As I am rearing to choke his POS ass out, I make him utter the words "sorry", and as he was gurgling on his own spit and vomit, let him loose. As I did, I asked him what his deal was, and he proceeded to say I violated all company policies with regards to uniform and vehicle appearance code, and since I just "assaulted him", he stated he could send my ass to jail. He said he was doing me a favor by only firing me, but before I left, I asked him what this supposed vehicle appearance policy was, and he said I needed to keep my parking lights on at all times to signify I wasn't a "casual observer". Having no idea what that meant, I spit in his face, threw a rock through the window of his company vehicle and left a cloud of dust in my wake. Never in my life have I been so angry yet so confused at the same time.

You think that's bad? My site supervisor once shot at me 48 times because I filled in my duty log incorrectly. I wouldn't have minded so much, except that he only had 24 rounds on him so he made me drive him to the hunting supply store to get more AND didn't "chip in" for the gas.

Welcome back.

Comment

Now we KNOW why he didn't get the "Supey" (whatever that is), job.
                  Hospitalman, no one is impressed with your made up tales of "I'm so cool."

This is a professional site, not a "There I was, fighting AQ single handed..." Fantasy Cosplay site.

If you WANT to promote, lose the attitude, stop trying to bs people, and LEARN YOUR JOB...

Comment

Originally posted by Consolewatcher View Post
                    You think that's bad? My site supervisor once shot at me 48 times because I filled in my duty log incorrectly. I wouldn't have minded so much, except that he only had 24 rounds on him so he made me drive him to the hunting supply store to get more AND didn't "chip in" for the gas.

Welcome back.
                    Group buy on some Dr Thunder ???
                    Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
                    Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

I appreciate the tips. I tend to lose focus on tip #6, especially "You are going to want complex carbohydrates and some sugars to keep warm". I'm one of those grab and go types of people when it comes to food, but I feel that incorporating these will definitely help while on the job.

Comment

For me I find the best cold-weather gear is just USGI stuff. It's 20 degrees where I'm at right now I'm on an outside walking post wearing usgi poly Pros under my uniform under a sweatshirt and wearing a USGI ECWS fleece over it and it's cold but I'm not uncomfortably cold

Comment

Originally posted by Ingio Montoya View Post
                          For me I find the best cold-weather gear is just USGI stuff. It's 20 degrees where I'm at right now I'm on an outside walking post wearing usgi poly Pros under my uniform under a sweatshirt and wearing a USGI ECWS fleece over it and it's cold but I'm not uncomfortably cold
                          USGI gear is great when you can find it at a good price. Some of my favorite cold weather items are the wool sweaters, the gloves and their field jackets with liners. I can get down to 40 degrees with out a jacket with fleece lined tactical pants , long johns and a wooly pully.
                          Spiro Agnew

Comment

Originally posted by psycosteve View Post
                            USGI gear is great when you can find it at a good price. Some of my favorite cold weather items are the wool sweaters, the gloves and their field jackets with liners. I can get down to 40 degrees with out a jacket with fleece lined tactical pants , long johns and a wooly pully.
                            The Army was just starting to field some of the better cold/wet weather options when I got out.

They had just started issuing the Gortex/Thinsulate winter boots and the Gortex Parka came out while I was in Germany but they weren't an ISSUE item for another 3 or 4 years. They were developing the ECWCS when I was in my last year and they started issuing it with the transition to ACUs (yes I am that old)

That said I think they're are much better options than a field jacket and liner. Number 1 I can't wear a field jacket over a a duty belt. And of course it's not uniform.

I can wear the ECWCS fleece under my company coat if need be and no one would be the wiser.

The nature of my job is such that I'm out for 45 minutes in for 20 all night long and when I'm out I'm moving and I sweat so I need to be able (to some degree) to adjust layers.
                            I try to dress so that if I'm not moving I'm a little chilly.

Last night I started out in the foothills West of town (8000 feet 6 degrees) and ended up on the Plains East of town (5000 feet 25 degrees) (in snow up to my ass in both places)I was able to remove my outer jacket and hat and unzip and zip as needed and stayed relatively comfortable all night.

They're are 5 military bases in the town I live in so (in addition to what I kept) I can pick up used cold weather gear from the surplus stores all day long for like 10 bucks an item

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X