Some questions about the job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SEOHopeful1
    I can only do so much but only civilian rights? come on. Security has got to have more than that?
    After 9/11 you bet we do. If anyone disagrees..refer to the blackwater security thread.

Comment

Originally posted by SEOHopeful1
      Call the police? I'll call my co-workers first to back me up. Then if we can't handle it i'd probably see if the police can back me up.

I wouldn never let the badge go to my head, I know my role and I know that I can only do so much but only civilian rights? come on. Security has got to have more than that?

Mayor says you guys are above the law. Gotta have some authority granted

ps. can someone please give me som advise on training and how hard the academy is?
      Yes, call the police. Failure to do so could result in your being disciplined, arrested, injured, or killed. You should notify the police immediately, even if you have to take direct action.

No, SEO's have no more authority then a private citizen.

The police academy is not rocket science but you do have to apply yourself. If you go in with a know-it-all attitude, don't study, or other wise dick around, you will be tossed out.

Jump over to Officer.Com. Look around and read some of the threads. There is a lot good information regarding police training and related issues.
      Last edited by Tennsix; 11-08-2005, 08:23 PM.
      I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
      -Lieutenant Commander Data
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mayor
        After 9/11 you bet we do. If anyone disagrees..refer to the blackwater security thread.
        Explain how the blackwater security thread even applies to what you are saying... I have worked for Blackwater before, and I don't understand your comparison? Considering that Blackwater is doing now, exactly what it has been doing since pre-9/11. Are you comparing private security operators employed by Blackwater and working in hostile environments on government/private contracts to how you have more powers during your everyday mall patrol routine?
        Last edited by davis002; 11-08-2005, 08:27 PM.
        "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Just pointing out that your blanket statement of "security guard's having no more authority than private citizens" is unfactual.

Comment

There is an exception to everything. However, we are talking about the average SEO position. For the purposes of this conversation, the answer is no. SEO?s, have no more authority than a private citizen.

SEOHopeful1 has a complete misunderstanding of the criminal justice system.
            sigpic

Comment

Just pointing out that your blanket statement of "security guard's having no more authority than private citizens" is unfactual.
              It's very true that a handful of states/cities grant on-duty security officers some level of limited arrest powers that is higher than that of a private citizens. Why don't you go on, and explain what powers you have that is different than that of a private citizen?

And answer my Blackwater question, don't avoid it please.
              "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

If you truly valued my input and wanted me to answer your questions..then you would behave accordingly..rather than flame.

If your not going to have a friendly attitude with me than I have no desire to speak with you.

In response to your Blackwater question..my answer is "no". If you want anymore than that..than take up your problems with me directly rather than flaming behind my back.

Have a nice day.

Comment

If you truly valued my input and wanted me to answer your questions..then you would behave accordingly..rather than flame.

If your not going to have a friendly attitude with me than I have no desire to speak with you.

In response to your Blackwater question..my answer is "no". If you want anymore than that..than take up your problems with me directly rather than flaming behind my back.

Have a nice day.
                  Unfortunately, All you are doing now is avoiding the question. I am trying to help you prove your knowledge to the rest of the group, by asking you industry-related questions. If you truly care about the private security industry, you would more actively participate in open topical discussions. I understand you are young, and fairly new to this field of work. I simply want to help you avoid the same mistakes we all made when we were younger. It's not your fault, i'm sure someday you will understand and be more wise if you choose to make this a career.

Comment

Originally posted by davis002
                    Are you comparing private security operators employed by Blackwater and working in hostile environments on government/private contracts to how you have more powers during your everyday mall patrol routine?
                    No.

Comment

No.

Originally Posted by SEOHopeful1
                      I can only do so much but only civilian rights? come on. Security has got to have more than that?

applies to this:

Originally Posted by Mr_Mayor

Give me your opinon, what does one have to do with the other?

Comment

WoW I'm starting to realize that security is not just "private police" crazy mayor has me all confused. I thought he was experienced.

Oh well guys keep saving the world, I hope one day I can make it amongst the ranks of the industry. Until then its servin food and mowin lawns.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Drooly
                          I'm an S/O in St. Pete, Fl. I think this link to the Security Guards Handbook (for Florida) may give you some idea as to what to expect. However, all states are not the same. Also, I haven't updated in a while and the gun law has changed so that we can carry 9mm now. Guess I should fix that...haha.

www.geocities.com/johnniemccoy/HANDBOOK.html
                          Hehe. Go see Defense Academics in St. Petersburg, if your not G certified with the 9mm. They're a viable alternative to S2 Institute.
                          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Just a thought regarding powers, s/o's vs LE:

When it comes to searching people/bags, security officers can do so when the client stipulates that an individual is not allowed to enter the private building/stadium unless they consent. Of course, they have the right to refuse, but doing so means that they will be denied access. Since employees know that refusal to submit will likely result in suspension/termination, there is pressure for them to go ahead and consent.

A LEO can only search the same employee on the street if they have p/c or ask and are given consent. If the employee said "NO" and p/c did not exist, then the LEO must respect the decision w/o pressure.

All I'm saying is that s/o's MAY have greater search power in the private sector than LEO's have in the public sector.

TENNSIX: Feel free to straighten me out if I'm off-base here. I know that no one knows it all, no matter how long they have been on the job.
                            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                              Just a thought regarding powers, s/o's vs LE:

When it comes to searching people/bags, security officers can do so when the client stipulates that an individual is not allowed to enter the private building/stadium unless they consent. Of course, they have the right to refuse, but doing so means that they will be denied access. Since employees know that refusal to submit will likely result in suspension/termination, there is pressure for them to go ahead and consent.

A LEO can only search the same employee on the street if they have p/c or ask and are given consent. If the employee said "NO" and p/c did not exist, then the LEO must respect the decision w/o pressure.

All I'm saying is that s/o's MAY have greater search power in the private sector than LEO's have in the public sector.

TENNSIX: Feel free to straighten me out if I'm off-base here. I know that no one knows it all, no matter how long they have been on the job.
                              I think that sounds about right. Who wants to comment on stop and frisk for LE?
                              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

You are correct. As a private security officer, you are not a law enforcment agent. If a LEO has PC to search and the suspect declines, the LEO may request a search warrant. IF the warrant is issued, then the search is on. If the suspect offers any resistance while the warrant is being requested, he could be arrested for a resisting or interfence type of charge.

The whole search warrant process is pretty involved so it is generally reserved for more significant situations. There are some circumstances where a warrantless search may be conducted, without consent, based on PC.

However, if a SEO searches under the direction of an LEO he is considered a law enforcement agent.

Exceptions to this would include frisks (pat down for weapons-not a search), public safety concern, evidence being destroyed, search incident to arrest, inevitable discovery, vehicle inventory (tow and impound-not a search).

If the article targeted for search is on the subject's person (pockets, back pack, purse, etc.), it would be discovered incdent to arrest, if the subject interferred with the warrant process (see above)
                                Last edited by Tennsix; 11-09-2005, 12:38 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X