Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mall Director
    replied
    I have been fortunate enough that another corporation purchased most of the shares of my corporation, which is also our client, so in the end, no contract issues..

As for the cross over.. It has been tried by my counter partner department and failed. I never allow it, as we do have janitors, and if something needs cleaned, then they handle it. For spills, instead of just walking by and calling a janitor, my staff will stand by and keep people from walking though it until the janitor arrives or a more urgent call is dipatched. Protection both ways.. Security doesnt play janitor, and the messes are secured until it is cleaned with in reason!

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    I recently found out that we have been working without a contract for almost a year. The client just keeps sending the check to our company and nobody says anything different.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    Now the next question. Do the laws of your provience make it a criminal or administrative offense for a security company to take on clients without a written contract? Most of the states in the United States do.
    Like I said, I have never had to sign a contract when hiring an agency.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Check out the thread I started back in January about similar Value Added Services- http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...=2985#post2985

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Now the next question. Do the laws of your provience make it a criminal or administrative offense for a security company to take on clients without a written contract? Most of the states in the United States do.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    They want your money. How much were the guards being paid, and what did they look like when they showed up?
    $12.50/hour. Very professional

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity
    Nathan,

Everytime this subject comes up you mention that if it's not in the contract, Contract Security People are not required to do it. This got me thinking. Tomorrow night for example I have hired 2 Contract Security to help because we are working on our electricity system & we will have no elevators for 4 hours. (In a 25 story occupied building). You know what? We don't have a contract with the Agency. We simply send a fax asking for x number of men for x number of hours. This is the 3rd or 4th contract company we've dealt with & they are all the same. No one has ever asked for written instructions on what we want their guards to do We always give them verbal instructions when they arrive.
    They want your money. How much were the guards being paid, and what did they look like when they showed up?

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Nathan,

Everytime this subject comes up you mention that if it's not in the contract, Contract Security People are not required to do it. This got me thinking. Tomorrow night for example I have hired 2 Contract Security to help because we are working on our electricity system & we will have no elevators for 4 hours. (In a 25 story occupied building). You know what? We don't have a contract with the Agency. We simply send a fax asking for x number of men for x number of hours. This is the 3rd or 4th contract company we've dealt with & they are all the same. No one has ever asked for written instructions on what we want their guards to do We always give them verbal instructions when they arrive.

Leave a comment:

• Charger
    replied
    Bridgate: Re read my post. It is not uncommon for even large hotels now a days not to have any staff on duty some nights except the Night Auditor & Security. You could put up a cone or sign but THERE IS NO JANITOR TO CALL. There is NO MAINTENANCE MAN to unblock the toilet, just YOU!
    As I said, I'm not trying to tick you off or anything. It's just insane that companies would require security to do this stuff. We're supposed to be there for protection, not cleaning duties...

The contract security company is not responsible for the client's inability to adequately staff their operation.
    Hell, NO security should be responsible.. Contract, In-House, or otherwise...
    Time spent by security cleaning up vomit or plunging a toilet, is time away from patrols that could've prevented that car break-in or strong-arm robbery in the parking lot. And WAY too many of these companies won't learn that lesson until it actually HAPPENS to them...

After all, security isn't much of a visual deterrant when they're plunging a toilet..

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Actully Mr. Security it would be worse. They would simply change our title to Houseman (janitor) who calls 9-1-1
    I know from other posts I've made, but when I worked for two contract security companies they thought it was wonderful since I retained my police commission.
    I loved when they said as add-on contract features, please dump the trash from such and so in bin #1 only. Hmmm! What is so special about bin #1? Put trash on a dolly and move it to a safe location and have a peek. Bin #1 was very near the fence that just happened to have two ribbons, one green and one red tied to the outrigger. Keep up, don't disappoint me. Small expensive machine parts in the trash and that was to go to bin #1. Pay phone, dial a number and talk to a friend on the County's theft squad. "In ten minutes there will be an unmarked car, two deputies with star light scopes and cameras. Take dolly to bin #1. Placed in trash. Sprayed with "Tag-IT." Go about my business. Meet friend, gave canister of tag-it to officer, signed receipt and went home.
    Two weeks later read in Cincinnati Times-Star about breaking up a very well organized interstate theft operating from such and so industrial plant. Squeeling, sounded like a mouse convention. Three plant employees and shift supervisor pled out. Interstate ring leaders tried and sentenced to 40 years each in Federal prison on a variety of charges.
    Such and so guard company not involved and certainly not me. Odd thing though, security guards no longer had extra duties.
    I am realistic enough to know extra duties can get out of hand and that can lead to horrible security.
    God Almighty, what a thrill!
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    I understand HotelSecurity's dilemma. He has contract security companies after his in-house security job like bees on honey. If he refuses to bend on the issue, management might give his position to contract security since they love to promote value-added services. If he has to work for contract security, he'll have to do those other tasks anyhow.

Personally, I dislike this ever-increasing trend toward focusing on non-security services. Guardsmark is one of the worst offenders, IMO. It's one thing to check FE's and eyewash stations. That is a safety function that ties in w/ security. Unfortunately, it is starting to include the absurd tasks noted in the above posts. I WILL NOT clean up vomit, transport corpses to the morgue, check rodent traps or anything similar. Find out what a company requires before you apply.
    Actully Mr. Security it would be worse. They would simply change our title to Houseman (janitor) who calls 9-1-1

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    I understand HotelSecurity's dilemma. He has contract security companies after his in-house security job like bees on honey. If he refuses to bend on the issue, management might give his position to contract security since they love to promote value-added services. If he has to work for contract security, he'll have to do those other tasks anyhow.

Personally, I dislike this ever-increasing trend toward focusing on non-security services. Guardsmark is one of the worst offenders, IMO. It's one thing to check FE's and eyewash stations. That is a safety function that ties in w/ security. Unfortunately, it is starting to include the absurd tasks noted in the above posts. I WILL NOT clean up vomit, transport corpses to the morgue, check rodent traps or anything similar. Find out what a company requires before you apply.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    In a contract security situation, that's not the security company's problem. Period. Unless the client wants to put it into the contract that the security company is going to perform those duties.

The contract security company is only required to prevent loss that it is contracted to. If it says, "Protect property through observation and reporting," then they don't prevent loss through intervention. If it says, "Protect property and personnel from fire or criminal interference," then that's what they're responsible to do.

The contract security company is not responsible for the client's inability to adequately staff their operation.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Bridgate: Re read my post. It is not uncommon for even large hotels now a days not to have any staff on duty some nights except the Night Auditor & Security. You could put up a cone or sign but THERE IS NO JANITOR TO CALL. There is NO MAINTENANCE MAN to unblock the toilet, just YOU!

Leave a comment:

• S Messina
    replied
    I worked a Golf Country Club/Estate Housing area. The Club has a 30 room "Hotel".

After 3 pm the maid/maintenace staff goes home. All service requests (towels, bedding, instructions on how to work the heater, bath tub, clogged toilets...) are then handled by the Security Patrol officer.

After 8 pm all Hotel staff is gone. Then all Hotel operations are handled by Security (guest check-ins- including swiping credit cards or cash payments, switching rooms for unhappy guests, wake-up calls...) until 7 am.

Facility maintenance lived at 45 minutes away so any maintenance issues that arose after hours were handled by security. Serious issues would call out the maintenance man but should be avaoided due to his high after hours overtime payrate.

This was done from a 5'x7' Gatehouse while also handling the entry point to a 1000 home gated community.

1 officer in the gatehouse, 1 on patrol.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X