Securi-Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
    Bridgate: Re read my post. It is not uncommon for even large hotels now a days not to have any staff on duty some nights except the Night Auditor & Security. You could put up a cone or sign but THERE IS NO JANITOR TO CALL. There is NO MAINTENANCE MAN to unblock the toilet, just YOU!
    As I said, I'm not trying to tick you off or anything. It's just insane that companies would require security to do this stuff. We're supposed to be there for protection, not cleaning duties...

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    The contract security company is not responsible for the client's inability to adequately staff their operation.
    Hell, NO security should be responsible.. Contract, In-House, or otherwise...
    Time spent by security cleaning up vomit or plunging a toilet, is time away from patrols that could've prevented that car break-in or strong-arm robbery in the parking lot. And WAY too many of these companies won't learn that lesson until it actually HAPPENS to them...

After all, security isn't much of a visual deterrant when they're plunging a toilet..
    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
    Originally posted by ValleyOne
    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
    Shoulda called in sick.
    Be safe!

Comment

Nathan,

Everytime this subject comes up you mention that if it's not in the contract, Contract Security People are not required to do it. This got me thinking. Tomorrow night for example I have hired 2 Contract Security to help because we are working on our electricity system & we will have no elevators for 4 hours. (In a 25 story occupied building). You know what? We don't have a contract with the Agency. We simply send a fax asking for x number of men for x number of hours. This is the 3rd or 4th contract company we've dealt with & they are all the same. No one has ever asked for written instructions on what we want their guards to do We always give them verbal instructions when they arrive.
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Nathan,

Everytime this subject comes up you mention that if it's not in the contract, Contract Security People are not required to do it. This got me thinking. Tomorrow night for example I have hired 2 Contract Security to help because we are working on our electricity system & we will have no elevators for 4 hours. (In a 25 story occupied building). You know what? We don't have a contract with the Agency. We simply send a fax asking for x number of men for x number of hours. This is the 3rd or 4th contract company we've dealt with & they are all the same. No one has ever asked for written instructions on what we want their guards to do We always give them verbal instructions when they arrive.
        They want your money. How much were the guards being paid, and what did they look like when they showed up?
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

They want your money. How much were the guards being paid, and what did they look like when they showed up?
          $12.50/hour. Very professional

Comment

Now the next question. Do the laws of your provience make it a criminal or administrative offense for a security company to take on clients without a written contract? Most of the states in the United States do.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Check out the thread I started back in January about similar Value Added Services- http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...=2985#post2985
              Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Now the next question. Do the laws of your provience make it a criminal or administrative offense for a security company to take on clients without a written contract? Most of the states in the United States do.
                Like I said, I have never had to sign a contract when hiring an agency.

Comment

I recently found out that we have been working without a contract for almost a year. The client just keeps sending the check to our company and nobody says anything different.

Comment

I have been fortunate enough that another corporation purchased most of the shares of my corporation, which is also our client, so in the end, no contract issues..

As for the cross over.. It has been tried by my counter partner department and failed. I never allow it, as we do have janitors, and if something needs cleaned, then they handle it. For spills, instead of just walking by and calling a janitor, my staff will stand by and keep people from walking though it until the janitor arrives or a more urgent call is dipatched. Protection both ways.. Security doesnt play janitor, and the messes are secured until it is cleaned with in reason!
                    Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Like I said, I have never had to sign a contract when hiring an agency.
                      At that point, you have them in a position of advantage, as you can make them do whatever you want and they have no recourse unless an account manager terminates the verbal agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
                        I recently found out that we have been working without a contract for almost a year. The client just keeps sending the check to our company and nobody says anything different.
                        That's good, and bad. The client could throw you all out tomorrow and there's no recourse on the part of the company to hit them with the termination verbage. Alternately, the company could drop them the next day and not have to pay any fines or fees that are written into contracts.

OR, alternately, the contract automatically renews, much like your cell phone contract will, at the end of term.

Comment

Only in Florida

Saw this add in the local classified, it isn't the first time;

Landscape/Security.....
                          Booth

Comment

Not sure about only in Florida......but......Crestview, Guard, $7.60. Checks paperwork, tarps, straps and loads on trucks at lumber yard. No experience required.

Comment

I work for a contract security company and I've been told many times that we do NOT perform duties outside those specified in the contract for liability reasons. we are simply there to perform an assigned function and anything outside of that is the responsibility of the contract holder. although I do find it ironic that we are to only fulfill the assigned duties of the contract, yet we do not have a copy of said contract to find out what those duties are. stay safe
                              " You may make fun of us for what we do, but when it hits the fan, you'll be glad we were there"

Comment

Apolo,
                                The duties should be spelled out in your Post Orders. I've never seen a copy of a contract before but every post I've been assigned had a set of post orders assigned to it.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X