Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A thesis for Wild Dog

Wild Dog:

Let’s look at two very different men. This is all let’s make believe so make me happy and read
    I am thinking of two far different men. Henry Mitchell Certified Public Accountant at a Bank
    in downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee. Henry is loving caring husband, dad. George Wilson his next door neighbor has nothing but kind words for Henry Mitchell Henry Mitchell only sleeps with his lovely wife. He is not cheating, gambling, drinking the money he earns from being a CPA
    On weekend Henry spend time with his boy Dennis

Henry is calm, soft spoken, easy to be with. During Christmas he works at LP at a local Best Buy in Chattanooga

Then there is Rocky Sylvester Stallone. Friends call him Rambo. He works as a sheet metal worker at a factory in South Chattanooga. He is married, if you want to call it a marriage
    He sleeps with the secretary at the sheet metal factory. He rarely spends quality time with his 10 year old daughter
    He gambles the family money at lottery, and drinks with the boys at the Twist and Shout Bar in nearby Georgia

Rocky Sylvester Stallone is working at LP at the same Best Buy in Chattanooga at Christmas

Henry Mitchell is walking around the store when he notice a group of boys putting music C/D in their jacket pocket. In order not to be too suspicious the boys walk to the register and buy some C/D’s Henry walks up to register as the boys are checking out with the clerk at the register
    and calmly says “boys don’t forget the C/D’s in your jacket” Boys comply and purchase same C/D’s that were in their jackets

Rocky Sylvester Stallone is walking around the store when he notice a group of boys putting music C/D in their jacket pocket. In order not to be too suspicious the boys walk to the register and buy some C/D’s Boys walk out of the store with C/D’s in their jacket and Rocky Sylvester Stallone body slams one of the teenage boys

Some other factors
    Henry Mitchell did what Best Buy’s policy at LP to the letter

Rocky Sylvester Stallone did not follow Best Buy’s policy to the letter

Now for some questions WD
    Who do you have more respect for? Quiet, calm, Henry Mitchell or Rocky Sylvester Stallone

Is Best Buy’s policy backwards and should follow do what Rocky Sylvester Stallone did

Oh might interest you to know I saw something quite similar to this when I worked at a cash register at Best Buy. Replace Henry Mitchell with a 98 pound woman math teacher

BTW: If I was working as a Chattanooga police officer, and I had a choice of who my partner would be
    I'd choose Henry Mitchell

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2910361600/ch0042790

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambo_%28film_series%29
    Last edited by copelandamuffy; 03-25-2014, 05:07 PM.
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Well since we're talking hypotheticals here, what if as soon as Henry Mitchell approaches the kids they pull a switchblade on him? What then? In that situation I think you would be thankful for Rambo there ready to kick@$$ and take names, I know I would. And on a personal level, I would rather go out drinking with Rambo, he would seem more fun.

Comment

Weapon comes out, time to back off. You're a damn idiot if you're gonna risk your life over some dvd's.
      Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Dog View Post
        Well since we're talking hypotheticals here, what if as soon as Henry Mitchell approaches the kids they pull a switchblade on him? What then? In that situation I think you would be thankful for Rambo there ready to kick@$$ and take names, I know I would. And on a personal level, I would rather go out drinking with Rambo, he would seem more fun.
        Define fun? Your drinking with some one who is not home with his children and wife, and spending whatever cash he earns for a living for his family at the local bar. You are judged by the company you keep

You would? What kind of training do you have to take down some punk kid with a switch blade
        Does it equate the training of a Boston or Phoenix police officer who spend much time in training in these situations

What would Henry Mitchell do? Back off, and let them walk out with the c/d's
        Now go back and read ZM 88 has posted to this thread
        "Weapon comes out, time to back off. You're a damn idiot if you're gonna risk your life over some dvd's"

Wild Dog: If I remember your 25/26? Many on this forum are former law enforcement officers. Some of, and that included myself, are and have been served in the military. Many of those on this forum are fathers/dads. We do not spend time at the Twist and Shout bar with guys like your hero Rambo. We go to work, go home, and care for our families and wives

We have seen life experiences let us hope to God you do not have to experience

As long as your taking down the bad guys with switchblades. I suppose if you were a clerk at your local 7/11 food store and
        some punk kid walked into the store, pulled a switch blade, you would kick a** and take names

Want to know who the real tough guy is? Who has the guts? Who is the hero?
        It is not your pal Rambo your having a good laugh and joke with at the local bar
        No WD it is Henry Mitchell. Same Henry who is working long days as a CPA banker
        During Christmas Henry Mitchell works as LP at Best Buy, following the rules, and protocol
        to the letter as a Loss Prevention Officer at Best Buy

Henry Mitchell if he is not working, is home. Being a good husband
        Maybe when his wife Alice is out grocery shopping, he is home
        cleaning the house. Doing laundry
        Being a good dad. Spending quality time with his boy Dennis
        Nurturing him on how to be a outstanding member of society
        He does this so Dennis will not be some punk kid stealing c/d's
        There is your hero, not Rambo who neglects his family, and his
        ten year old daughter because he is having drinks down at
        the Twist and Shout bar with his buddy WD.
        Last edited by copelandamuffy; 03-26-2014, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Yes but Rambo always kicks over the poker table and hits on the next door neighbors wife. Sometimes I hate hanging with him.

Comment

Originally posted by zm88 View Post
            Weapon comes out, time to back off. You're a damn idiot if you're gonna risk your life over some dvd's.
            Yup. Its just not a wise idea to further instigate a fight with a deranged loony with a weapon. There are situations where you have no choice but to defend yourself. Like when the guy makes aggressive movements toward you with the weapon. You can only back up so much and realize this whackadoodle wants your life and despite how much or far you back up, he will come after you. These situations are rare, but occasionally do happen.

I know when I am facing someone that is like this, I'll back up and give him the option of just walking away. I won't endanger my life for a few dollars of merchandize. Screw that.

Comment

Ive been stabbed and slashed over merchandise. Not fun. I was even retreating. If someone hurts you over merchandise, not worth it. If you kill someone over merchandise, you will end up in a world of hurt. Everything can be replaced, except you.

Comment

Originally posted by capurato View Post
                Ive been stabbed and slashed over merchandise. Not fun. I was even retreating. If someone hurts you over merchandise, not worth it. If you kill someone over merchandise, you will end up in a world of hurt. Everything can be replaced, except you.
                That is classic along with, "When in doubt - let it out."

The day will come when Pound Puppy will get his behind kicked really good and all of a sudden he will become a wise old dog. Woof - Woof.
                Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                CoAuthor - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post

The day will come when Pound Puppy will get his behind kicked really good and all of a sudden he will become a wise old dog. Woof - Woof.
                  Perfecta. Wild Dog you are amongst veterans of not only the security industry, but police officers, men who were Marines
                  Marines as in Vietnam. Why would you doubt our words of wisdom? I toss in the towel.
                  I and perhaps others have tried to tell you that your Rambo, kick a**, take names may cost your life, and maybe others

Yes WD if my life was in danger, my family, my friends, I would do all I can to protect them, and me
                  None of us on this forum are pacifist. We believe in law and order. Many of us are members of the NRA
                  But we try and use street smarts. Try to defuse before something ignites
                  Last edited by copelandamuffy; 03-26-2014, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Amen!!!...

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post

This....

Like I said in another post, nothing good will come with the mindset he is currently in.

We had a guy the other day fighting with us, kept reaching his hands to his waist. After we cuffed him and got him upstairs we found a good sized knife in the pocket he was reaching for.

Rewind a fee months ago. 1 of our detectives and a guard stop a guy and he hits guard in face. After wrestling around they find a straight razor in the guys pocket.

Wilddog, I deal with violent and potentially violent people daily. PD rarely takes our cases, they go due to the warrants they have. You're still young and can change your mentality but if you don't, you'll be more of a burden than an asset for your entire time in this industry.

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by zm88 View Post
                        Wilddog, I deal with violent and potentially violent people daily. PD rarely takes our cases, they go due to the warrants they have. You're still young and can change your mentality but if you don't, you'll be more of a burden than an asset for your entire time in this industry.
                        ^^^^Agreed.

Along with being a burden, you'll be your own worst enemy and put yourself in danger for no reason. There is a time and place for UoF and an aggressive demeanor...ZM has cited examples, as have other security personnel on this site. I will give you one piece of advice: Learn how to talk with people! Not TO....WITH. Take an effective communications course or a DeEscalation course, go take cotillion classes or watch The Waltons for all I care, just learn how to communicate.

Suppose you are sitting in a nursing station on a psychiatric ward. A doctor is talking on the phone near the open window, a patient walks by and hears his name so he stops and listens and finds out that he has been Discharged...This causes the individual anxiety and he reacts by talking/pleading with the doctor in an overly excited manner. The nurses tell the man to calm down and ask him to pack up and leave as he is no longer a pt on the unit, the man refuses and continues to excitedly in a not-threatening-but-unstable manner beg and plead with the doctor who is still trying to talk on the phone...You now have a man who has been asked to leave the unit and refused, this is now trepassing and the nursing staff tells you to interviene;

Do you...1: Exit the nursing station, square up with the man and inform him that if he doesn't leave the unit you will remove him by force?

Or....2: Step outside, get between the man and the doctor, get the man's attention by calmly using his name and asking him to relax and explain to you his anxieties--as he clearly has not articulated them to the doctor in his present state--and then offer an amicable solution? The man has to leave the unit, there is no option at this point, but he feels he needs further treatment...

If you chose #1: You just exacerbated the situation by taking an aggressive approach with an anxious and paranoid individual, put the doctors and nurses unneccessarily at risk, and probably got yourself assaulted and/or caused a Code which brings in more nursing staff and fellow security personnel putting more people at risk.

If you chose #2: You brought the man's attention away from the staff, gained his trust, explained to him he has options beyond that setting, and he calmly and happily agreed to go pack up his belongings and walk WITH you down to the main lobby where you gave him the information for services in his hometown, got him on a bus and out of the hospital safely and without incident.

That there is a true story, WD...But I will tell you right now #1 was so far at the back of my mind, I didn't even consider the possibility...Option 2 was the first and pretty much only option I chose...If you think opposite, I am not going to scold you or berate you...But you need to look deep inside yourself and decide what kind of person you want to be, and what you want to make of this field of employment.
                        Last edited by UnsupervisedCanadian; 09-11-2014, 11:50 AM.
                        World's Youngest Grumpy Old Man

D.T.O.M.!

August 22nd 1992--Never Forget.

Comment

I see where you all are coming from. And I admit, I can be a shoot from the hip kind of guy and acknowledge my tactics may need refinement.

Comment

You're actions don't always effect just you, if you're with a partner it can hurt them or get them killed. Back in 2006 at the rink we were on the floor during dance monitoring 2 separate gangs in the building. There was this one kid Lloyd who was passing messages back and forth between the groups, clearly instigating them. Now instead of tossing Lloyd our boss gets this great idea (which to this day I still haven't gotten a clear answer) to toss a kid from one of the gangs instead of Lloyd. My boss walks up to the kid who we'll call Terry and tells him it's time to bounce. Now seeing how Terry didn't do anything he says no its not right (which it wasn't) and said he wouldn't leave til we told him why. Our boss grabs Terry and in return Terry places his hands on our bosses throat. As much as I didn't like the guy no one touches staff so we grab the kid and walk him out. Along the way Terrys friends run up on us and we start throwing hands with them. Terry puts up a fight and is taken to the ground to be cuffed for his safety as well as ours. Right when he hits the floor we get almost half of the 200+ kids rushing us throwing trash barrels, skates and anything that isn't bolted to the ground. I get kicked in the leg and pushed all over while I stand above the guy cuff in Terry. Police come in after somebody calls and the disturbance is quelled.

If our boss hadn't made a stupid and random move to try an assert some power for himself, NONE of this would have happened. It could have been much much worse for us and we were pretty darn lucky that no one needed to go to the hospital after. Of course it didn't end there WD, Terry went around the corner after he got booted and grabbed a razor. During the let out a few hours later he came back and slashed one of the rivals in his face. Fast forward a few years later and Terry gets stabbed to death over 20 times in a vacant lot in Boston. Keep in mind the victim and perpetrators are (with the exception of 2 of the attackers) all under 16 years of age.

The moral of the story WD, you're actions and what you do, how you say it and how you carry yourself can damage multiple people. The advice being given to you by the members here isn't because we hate you, it's out of concern that your attitude will lead to the events (or something similar) as in the story of Terry.

If your job requires you to O&R then observe and report the he'll out of your site. Look for safety issues and other hazards and fix them. Going in and being the best you can be is a reason to be proud. You don't need to be out swinging a gun, kicking as and taking names to validate yourself. Outstanding customer service at the mall, helping a lost kid find his parents or reporting a safety hazard that could potentially hurt patrons is noble. Going in and being overzealous, being 'that guy' that people dread working with is not good. If you wanna do more (which I wanted 7 months ago after doing o&r for a bit) then find that job that's for you.

Either way I hope you take this advice and just remember that actions have consequences, those consequences are never left just on you.
                            Last edited by zm88; 04-03-2014, 02:06 AM.

Comment

I see where you all are coming from. And I admit, I can be a shoot from the hip kind of guy and acknowledge my tactics may need refinement.

We are here to help. I have learned a lot from people on this forum
                              We have good ears for listening, and good hearts
                              Check back what ZM 88 has to say
                              We have spoken in private
                              ZM 88 is a good man
                              Curtis, Soper, Condo Guard, HS, and so many people who have good ideas

Might suggest you drop Wild Dog.
                              Not professional
                              If your into cars. call yourself Chevy man, or Ford man
                              If your favorite baseball team is the Kansas City Royals, call yourself KCR man

Believe me WD, we have all done very dumb things
                              I have been in bad bars, with bad women, and bad men, and I wonder why I am not dead

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X