Pirsac, Fl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirsac, Fl

The quarterly meeting of the Advisory Committee of the Division of Licensing dropped a couple bombs today. Pending confirmation from official sources armed security and PI's will soon no longer be restricted to .38 special and 9mm, .40, .45 and 10mm will be approved. A bigger change, to give port security officers the power to detain and search suspects a new title, Port Security Officer is being created. It will require 218 hours of training! (Tiered licensing, something like SO1, SO2, SO3 was discussed and is very possible.) On line training was approved for Recovery Agents. It was discussed for continuing/advanced training for security agents and is likely to be approved in the near future.
    Booth

Well, it seems like Florida is moving along quite well. Hopefully Washington will follow suit.
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by mike booth
      The quarterly meeting of the Advisory Committee of the Division of Licensing dropped a couple bombs today. Pending confirmation from official sources armed security and PI's will soon no longer be restricted to .38 special and 9mm, .40, .45 and 10mm will be approved. A bigger change, to give port security officers the power to detain and search suspects a new title, Port Security Officer is being created. It will require 218 hours of training! (Tiered licensing, something like SO1, SO2, SO3 was discussed and is very possible.) On line training was approved for Recovery Agents. It was discussed for continuing/advanced training for security agents and is likely to be approved in the near future.
      Ok, on the Port Security Officer thing.

1. Florida Statute 311.124 authorizes a certified Port Security Officer to detain for the crime of trepsass in a security zone only. They must then turn the offender over to a member of the Port Police Agency or the responding local police if the port does not elect to make a Port Police Department.

2. There is only one certification for Port Security Officer under Chapter 311, and that requires several hundred to over a thousand hours of federally mandated ISPS training. Any Class D officer certified as a Port Security Officer will have to take the entire course.

As to online training, considering several companies have petitioned DOACS to allow the Class D Security Officer course to be taken online, and have done so for about 3 or 4 years. I was part of a team that was supposed to put the course online, but the state would not authorize it.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

PIRSAC is opposed to class D training online as of yesterday.They discussed online training for advanced security training, which they are considering and for the port security training. They talked of a state mandated 218 hours of training, developed in house. They did not talk about changes to Florida Statute 311.124 which doesn't mean it can't happen. They recommended changes in the legislation which allows D licensed officers to carry semi automatic pistols. They recommend changes which will allow G licensed staff to carry .40 and .45 caliber pistols. They plan to recommend allowing R license training on line.
        Booth

Comment

311.124 has already been changed. As of right now, any Class D officer with the "Port Security" certification has detention powers. THe problem, of course, is that the certification doesn't exist yet.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I haven't seen the changes. Are they in the online statutes? According to PIRSAC they plan to create that certification. I'll believe it when I see it.
            Booth

Comment

To answer my own question; Florida Statute 311.121 (g) "By December 1, 2006, the council shall identify the qualifications, training, and standards for seaport security officer certification and recommend a curriculum for the seaport security officer training program that shall include no less than 218 hours of initial certification training and that conforms to or exceeds model courses approved by the Federal Maritime Act under s. 109 of the Federal Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002 for facility personnel with specific security duties."
              Booth

Comment

The statute was written to allow seaports to immediately create law enforcement agencies, and otherwise deal with their issues, while DOACS waited for FDLE to create the certification process.

If they didn't pass that statute, DOACS couldn't do anything, as they're not authorized under Florida Statutes to create anything, only enforce.

Comment

This has been the buzz around here for months. A few port security people come by the place from time to time and have been telling us about this.

I understand Security Forces, Inc. (yikes!) is bidding for those ports along with Barton. But the last talk (rumor) was TSA was going to run the ports. But I think the feds want thier own PSO's there.

Now if they can just pass this stuff on to the field security officers who work places other than ports if would be nice.
                  My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    The statute was written to allow seaports to immediately create law enforcement agencies, and otherwise deal with their issues, while DOACS waited for FDLE to create the certification process.
                    Makes sense. I was under the mistaken impression the statute was written so ports could hire security guards instead of cops and save money. Those security guards could detain and search. They would have to call the police to effect an arrest leading to criminal prosecution. My bad, don't see where creating a law enforcement agency is much of a cost cutting move. I am misinformed.
                    Booth

Comment

Oh, it is a cost cutting measure. They don't have to create a new agency. If they choose to, only 30% of on duty officers need to be Port Law Enforcement Officers. The rest can be Seaport Certified Security Officers.

SCSOs can issue traffic citations (With full statutory authority vested as a specia law enforcement officer for the purposes of enforcing all traffic laws. This may mean they may arrest as a Airport Police Officer for 314, 316, and 322 violations such as DUI), arrest any violator of a security zone (With full statutory authority as seaport security officers), and tow vehicles on public property as if they were LEOs.

Only requirements is that the duty supervisor must be a LEO, and 30% of the force must be LEOs. Instead of 100% LEO.

TSA can put Port Security (Police) Officers on the port, but that is seperate from the state's port security mission.

I have worked both ports and petrochemical plants, and am familiar with ISPS Maritime Security Regulations. Unfortunately, I was not ISPS certified because the certification was not required at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Echos13
                        This has been the buzz around here for months. A few port security people come by the place from time to time and have been telling us about this.

I understand Security Forces, Inc. (yikes!) is bidding for those ports along with Barton. But the last talk (rumor) was TSA was going to run the ports. But I think the feds want thier own PSO's there.

Now if they can just pass this stuff on to the field security officers who work places other than ports if would be nice.
                        Unfortunately, Echos13, the only reason that SPSOs are getting this authority is because its too expensive to have the Sheriff of each county provide maritime security. With ISPS regulations requiring extensive training, training every deputy in a squad that would have to be rotated out would be cost prohibitive.

Keep in mind that most ports in Florida use in-house county-run security forces, which are usually not even D officers. Those that arm their officers, of course, have to be D & G certified - or LEOs.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X