No announcement yet.

Title: Security Guard or Security Officer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honestly, folks, while I have preference for "officer," Guard is just a title and someone who has the basic minimum training in their state (if they get any) can still be called a guard.

Marchetti's suggestion that only an "officer" has such training is misguided. A proprietary security person in plain clothes can still be called an officer, and is not required to have such training, in his state.

The titles themselves are not regulated in most states, and then only to restrict what you can do with them, such as adding "enforcement" being prohibited in California (supposedly.)
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• If not pride for the job then at least for one self. A title is just a title but it can mean a lot or nothing. Being in the middle of differant people and cultures every night I like to think in thier eyes I am more. If you believe it then it will show. If it's just another pay check to you then you need to work someplace else.
      My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

• Originally posted by james2go30
        I prefer security officer...every time I hear security guard it makes me think of that fumbling old security guard from the andy griffith show...the old guy at the bank with the revolver that fall into pices when he tried to fire it or was asleep most of the time.
        Yeah, I complained to Andy about him. Andy suggested that I switch revolvers with him so that I didn't have to keep my bullet in my shirt pocket.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

• A name is a name, but sometimes a name lends more respectability from the outside of your proffession. Security guard just sounds less than security officer, just like jailer sounds bad compared to detention deputy, cop to police officer. So I can understand wanting security officer as a title, I think just the name seems more respectful.

I don't care about title myself cop, police officer, po-po, 5.0, the heat, smokey, whatever just do what I say. But I understand when your put more in the box as with what you can and what you cant do.

Comment

• Originally posted by outofplacevikingfan
            A name is a name, but sometimes a name lends more respectability from the outside of your proffession. Security guard just sounds less than security officer, just like jailer sounds bad compared to detention deputy, cop to police officer. So I can understand wanting security officer as a title, I think just the name seems more respectful.

I don't care about title myself cop, police officer, po-po, 5.0, the heat, smokey, whatever just do what I say. But I understand when your put more in the box as with what you can and what you cant do.
            Indeed. I don't care if you call me whitey, honkey, top flight, 2.5, po-po, imitation bacon, but when it time to go, or to stop doing something, its time to obey.

Officer really improves the general public's perception.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• I think the name does but when it comes down to it. People that police officers deal with in general will not like us.

Security officers the people they deal with that cause them issues won't like them.

Detention deputies clearly they aren't liked no matter what they do right.

Probation officer same deal.

The only name everyone likes of course FIRE FIGHTERS (jerks) just kidding.

Comment

• People don't even like firefighters and EMTs. Click on DT4EMS, you'll see what I mean.

Comment

• Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                  Indeed. I don't care if you call me whitey, honkey, top flight, 2.5, po-po, imitation bacon...
                  You forgot lackey.

Comment

• Originally posted by wilrobnson
                    You forgot lackey.
                    Thank you. Thank you for reminding me. Legions, remove him.

Comment

• Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                      Honestly, folks, while I have preference for "officer," Guard is just a title and someone who has the basic minimum training in their state (if they get any) can still be called a guard.

Marchetti's suggestion that only an "officer" has such training is misguided. A proprietary security person in plain clothes can still be called an officer, and is not required to have such training, in his state.

The titles themselves are not regulated in most states, and then only to restrict what you can do with them, such as adding "enforcement" being prohibited in California (supposedly.)
                      Golly gee you talk an awdul lot about Connecticut security for someone who does not even live here, under state law so called in-house are not even legally seen as Security Officers i.e. read the difinition of Security Officer in P.A. 04-192 and yes some standard of training is now required.

Comment

• Quote:
                        Originally Posted by outofplacevikingfan
                        A name is a name, but sometimes a name lends more respectability from the outside of your proffession. Security guard just sounds less than security officer, just like jailer sounds bad compared to detention deputy, cop to police officer. So I can understand wanting security officer as a title, I think just the name seems more respectful.

Indeed. I don't care if you call me whitey, honkey, top flight, 2.5, po-po, imitation bacon, but when it time to go, or to stop doing something, its time to obey.

We are talking about titles not being a CONTROL freak why even mention " Do as I say " I know it's the macho thing Mr. PoPo just keep in mind some out here if you order them around will put their foot up your ***. Back on topic I think their is a huge diffrence in titles as I have seen over the years people who call themselves Guards seem to have less of a perspective of themselves ( not look professional ) view their positions as a job and nothing more, lack training, and are making maybe less. As some indicate the old man in the bank, the guy that sleeps at night, the kid doing homework.

Comment

• No as a police officer when you give a lawful order they have to comply. That is not a god complex, that is the truth. If I have a reason to have some one step out of a car because I smell pot and I ask them and they say no. They are now breaking the LAW, I don't have the time to talk to some one and say please come on get out of the car, please get out of the car. That's absurd that you think when a police officer says when I say to do something do it is a god complex, there something really wrong with you.

If I see someone beat the crap out of someone when I'm driving around and I stop and say "POLICE get on the ground" and they run do I try to reason with them no. They made it worse for themselves assault, not obeying a lawful order, and fleeing. When I chase them down I'm not going to have a laugh with them and try to get to the real reason why they ran. They are going on the ground for my safety and everyone elses.

Comment

• Out of place you would not like me on the street then, I'll relate an incident to you that happened one night. One property we have is used by nightclub patrons that go to the bar across the street generally they are an annoyance, however the property owner has authorized the use of the property by these people providing they are not drinking, using drugs, fighting, or causing any other problems. The bar lets out and the parking lot is pretty much vacated except by a young couple sitting and sucking face in their car. They are not hurting anything nor causing any problems. Out of the blue a Police Officer shows up and orders them to leave the property and then leaves. I go up to the vehicle and ask them what the cop wanted and they tell me the policeman ordered them off the property. So I look at these two kids and tell them " Ignore the nice policeman as he had no lawful authority to enter the property, he can not say who has a right to be upon such property as it's private, they are welcome to stay here as long as they like, and if the cop returns and say's one word to them about not leaving they should tell the cop the security officer said they can stay and to come see me ". The cop never came back, but had he I would have told him the same thing and then told him to get off my clients PRIVATELY OWNED PROPERTY unless he is there by complaint, summons, or probable cause. Last I knew the property owner did not give up his rights not to have an agent of the government upon his property without good probable cause, and he certainly has No Authority to dictate as to who a property owner allows on his property. A property owner or his agent has far more authority upon that private property then that of a public servant as evident by state and federal laws. This is an example of some podunk cop trying to be godly by ordering others around on the basis of his employment.

No as a police officer when you give a lawful order they have to comply. They don't have to do anything if they don't want to, if they do it's of their own free will i.e. why we as a society have criminals and cops killed. One site I like is the ACLU as they tell you, you don't even have to respond to a police officers questions if you don't want to, it's called civil rights.
                            Last edited by Marchetti, David, M; 01-17-2007, 12:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marchetti, David, M
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by outofplacevikingfan

We are talking about titles not being a CONTROL freak why even mention " Do as I say " I know it's the macho thing Mr. PoPo just keep in mind some out here if you order them around will put their foot up your ***. Back on topic I think their is a huge diffrence in titles as I have seen over the years people who call themselves Guards seem to have less of a perspective of themselves ( not look professional ) view their positions as a job and nothing more, lack training, and are making maybe less. As some indicate the old man in the bank, the guy that sleeps at night, the kid doing homework.
                              Um, if the agent of the property owner tells you to leave their property, and you refuse to leave, you will be leaving by force, or you will be arrested for trespassing.

You yourself have said this. So, I don't care what they say to me, so long as they obey my lawful order to leave.

You have a problem taking things out of context. Correct it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marchetti, David, M
                                Golly gee you talk an awdul lot about Connecticut security for someone who does not even live here, under state law so called in-house are not even legally seen as Security Officers i.e. read the difinition of Security Officer in P.A. 04-192 and yes some standard of training is now required.
                                I've read it. I don't need to live in your state to get access to your statute book or read it. You, yourself, need to read it. In-house personnel who work for a company on an employee-employer relationship and are exposed to the public are required to be licensed.

I'd quote statute like I normally do, but I don't think you actually read the law and are too hung up on "I live here, I am right."

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X