Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malls going with Armed Security

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Malls going with Armed Security

    While doing my requal this morning the range master who teaches the course mentioned that a few of the local malls are going with armed Security as well as unarmed. Never thought this would happen but I guess with the changing times and the malls being prime targets for gangs, criminals and terrorist things would have to change. I hope they send their Armed Officers to more then just the minimum training required and weed out the liabilities, to get better people they need to raise their pay grade to attract better talent. (West Covina mall and others related to it)

  • #2
    They won't.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Soper View Post
      They won't.
      I wish that I could say that was merely cynicism talking. I have to say that I think that's an accurate assessment, however. Until it's mandated at a state level that mall security officers have to be armed, with an Active Shooter Response course under their belts, before beginning their first shift, it won't happen. They'll ask that the contract company hire retired cops, first.
      "Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

      "Veni, Vidi, Vici!"

      "Whatcha gonna do now, PL?"

      "Strategy is the craft of the warrior. Commanders must enact the craft, and troopers should know this Way. There is no warrior in the world today who really understands the Way of strategy." Shinmen Musashi No Kami Fujiwara No Genshin

      http://sentinelsofflorida.com/ is where I go for all of my Florida security info.

      Comment


      • #4
        The reality of economics, vs the fantasy life of some in the industry.

        Retired cops, that'll be around $35-40/hr. Not many are going to pay that rate.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Soper View Post
          The reality of economics, vs the fantasy life of some in the industry.

          Retired cops, that'll be around $35-40/hr. Not many are going to pay that rate.
          I've seen plenty of retired cops that were happy to make $15-$20/hr.
          "Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

          "Veni, Vidi, Vici!"

          "Whatcha gonna do now, PL?"

          "Strategy is the craft of the warrior. Commanders must enact the craft, and troopers should know this Way. There is no warrior in the world today who really understands the Way of strategy." Shinmen Musashi No Kami Fujiwara No Genshin

          http://sentinelsofflorida.com/ is where I go for all of my Florida security info.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tacticalguy View Post
            I've seen plenty of retired cops that were happy to make $15-$20/hr.
            What kind of pension do they get? I believe a retired cop around here gets 70K.
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
              What kind of pension do they get? I believe a retired cop around here gets 70K.
              To be honest, I never got into their financial stuff with them. I'll give you an example, though. A friend of mine, Murphy, is from Patterson, NJ, where he retired from after 20+ years. I'm not sure what his department pension is. He lives down here now and takes care of his very, elderly parents. He is considered a senior by most standards himself since he is over 60. He works for FL DOT and does some security gigs on the side. He's DELIGHTED to see a security job that pays more than $12/hr.
              Last edited by tacticalguy; 12-15-2013, 10:38 AM.
              "Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

              "Veni, Vidi, Vici!"

              "Whatcha gonna do now, PL?"

              "Strategy is the craft of the warrior. Commanders must enact the craft, and troopers should know this Way. There is no warrior in the world today who really understands the Way of strategy." Shinmen Musashi No Kami Fujiwara No Genshin

              http://sentinelsofflorida.com/ is where I go for all of my Florida security info.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm talking CA.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Soper View Post
                  I'm talking CA.
                  Well, according to the commercial, everything is better in CA. South Florida? We have oranges.
                  "Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

                  "Veni, Vidi, Vici!"

                  "Whatcha gonna do now, PL?"

                  "Strategy is the craft of the warrior. Commanders must enact the craft, and troopers should know this Way. There is no warrior in the world today who really understands the Way of strategy." Shinmen Musashi No Kami Fujiwara No Genshin

                  http://sentinelsofflorida.com/ is where I go for all of my Florida security info.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Shhhh. Don't tell them. CA sucks.

                    Your oranges are better than ours.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Public service is a gold mine, for those in it and they want to keep it that way. Perception is very important and most people see their world via the TV. It's all about creating the perception which has very little to do with reality our image lacks to say the least. I've seen guys who work as guards who looked like they slept in their uniforms , over weight and had a very limited knowledge of anything security related. It's not that hard to study 30 minutes a day in areas of related to our industry. Get a book on criminal law and study it, your be better for it, the protection officers manual is a very good book and if studied can improve our knowledge and our image when in a conversation with someone. Theirs lots of great books out their regarding security and criminal behavior. Learn how to wear a uniform and maintain your equipment and invest in your self. For the last two month I've been carrying a vocabulary builder and it's been one of the best investments I've made. Don't expect anyone to take care of you, were not union employees take self responsibility and improve yourselves. Look professional and act like a professional and when in a conversation know your job and related subject matter.
                      Books: Basic penal codes
                      Protection officers manual
                      Gift of fear "Gaven de Becker"
                      Vocabulary builder/report writing
                      If armed take a number of defensive classes, theirs lot's of info on youtube! Jim Rohn say's we get paid for the
                      value we bring so make yourself more valuable.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Frank Black View Post
                        Public service is a gold mine, for those in it and they want to keep it that way. Perception is very important and most people see their world via the TV. It's all about creating the perception which has very little to do with reality our image lacks to say the least. I've seen guys who work as guards who looked like they slept in their uniforms , over weight and had a very limited knowledge of anything security related. It's not that hard to study 30 minutes a day in areas of related to our industry. Get a book on criminal law and study it, your be better for it, the protection officers manual is a very good book and if studied can improve our knowledge and our image when in a conversation with someone. Theirs lots of great books out their regarding security and criminal behavior. Learn how to wear a uniform and maintain your equipment and invest in your self. For the last two month I've been carrying a vocabulary builder and it's been one of the best investments I've made. Don't expect anyone to take care of you, were not union employees take self responsibility and improve yourselves. Look professional and act like a professional and when in a conversation know your job and related subject matter.
                        Books: Basic penal codes
                        Protection officers manual
                        Gift of fear "Gaven de Becker"
                        Vocabulary builder/report writing
                        If armed take a number of defensive classes, theirs lot's of info on youtube! Jim Rohn say's we get paid for the
                        value we bring so make yourself more valuable.
                        While I agree with the majority of your statement, I'm going to have to disagree with your last statement, sir. If armed, ABSOLUTELY, take a weapon retention class. Do NOT use youtube as your instructor. Go to an actual class, AFTER you have verified the instructor's bonafides; prior LE/military weapon-retention/defensive tactics instructor. Don't just go anywhere. There are good martial arts instructors out there, that for all of their ranking and skill, have no experience with weapon retention.
                        "Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

                        "Veni, Vidi, Vici!"

                        "Whatcha gonna do now, PL?"

                        "Strategy is the craft of the warrior. Commanders must enact the craft, and troopers should know this Way. There is no warrior in the world today who really understands the Way of strategy." Shinmen Musashi No Kami Fujiwara No Genshin

                        http://sentinelsofflorida.com/ is where I go for all of my Florida security info.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Soper View Post
                          Retired cops, that'll be around $35-40/hr. Not many are going to pay that rate.
                          99% of our staff are active police officers, and we pay them $12/HR.


                          I think $15/HR is more fair. Malls are cheap though and would never pay that at all, more like $9-$11.
                          "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            $9 to $11 for armed? No Way. For that salary I might wear a gun, it would never break leather. The potential for problems just isn't worth it for that pay. I make DOUBLE that amount as an UNARMED peace officer.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Active cops working a security job, armed, for 12 an hour. Pretty stupid way to screw your career.

                              Comment

                              300x250

                              Collapse

                              Mid 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Super Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X