Less than 24 hour a day coverage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less than 24 hour a day coverage

I've been wondering. Besides hotels are there other facilities that are open 24 hours a day in full operation, where security only works part of the day?
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

My post is only 8 hrs a day. i come in at 1630, leave at 0030. 7 days a week. Seems idiotic to me, but what do I know... lol
    "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

Comment

Less Than 24 Hour A Day Coverage

Originally posted by SecureTN View Post
      My post is only 8 hrs a day.....
      What is being protected? I doubt that it is a hospital or college/university. Is it a corporate office, a clinic, a retail store, or something else?

For Hotel Security, I actually have heard of satellite medical clinics that are open essentially business hours that have security from 0830 to 1630 Monday through Friday. Although that maybe isn't exactly what you are looking for. I get what you are asking. I think that most places worth protecting have at least somebody on staff 24/7.
      Last edited by Jim1348; 10-29-2013, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1348 View Post
        What is being protected? I doubt that it is a hospital or college/university. Is it a corporate office, a clinic, a retail store, or something else?

For Hotel Security, I actually have heard of satellite medical clinics that are open essentially business hours that have security from 0830 to 1630 Monday through Friday. Although that maybe isn't exactly what you are looking for. I get what you are asking. I think that most places worth protecting have at least somebody on staff 24/7.
        The medical clinics have formal security during their operating hours. Hotels operate 24 hours a day but a lot (and it seems more & more) don't have formal security during the day. They will deny that they don't have security, they will say that they have managers that provide security when the security staff is not there. From my experience it is true, they have managers that will respond to a security incident after it has happened, but very few managers are doing active prevention, which I believe is one of the main duties of private security.
        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

For my old employer I worked (among other things) grocery stores where security might only be around past noon or in the evening, and for the entire opening hours on weekends. Any incidents that took place before the guard shift started would be handled by a patrol officer. In retail security patrol our shifts also started at 2pm mon-fri, and at 11am in the weekends, and a regular mobile patrol unit would be responsible for any incidents requiring a guard outside of those hours. That's not 24/7, obviously, though.

Comment

A grocery store I worked at was open 24 hours. We only had security Friday, Saturday, Sunday overnight.

Comment

Hotel, you definitely are correct that managers may respond after a call, but how many of them even know how to do that properly, how to approach a fire scene,do evac, respond to a duress alarm etc. So I would argue that they are not even truly up to that task.

Comment

Office building with a 24/7 call center in the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                  I've been wondering. Besides hotels are there other facilities that are open 24 hours a day in full operation, where security only works part of the day?
                  Some companies do a risk assessment to see if it is necessary to have 24/7 security.

It cost boatloads of money at least $100,000 a year for 1 guard 24/7.

Comment

Originally posted by macguard View Post
                    Some companies do a risk assessment to see if it is necessary to have 24/7 security.

It cost boatloads of money at least $100,000 a year for 1 guard 24/7.
                    And....easily $200K+ to successfully defend a lawsuit for negligent security. You lose and it only skyrockets from there. You roll the dice and hope you don't roll craps.
                    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                    CoAuthor - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Comment

It doesn't take Skippy long to figure out Security leaves at XYZ.

Comment

The complex I work at uses the maintenance team for "security" during the day. They do their best, but they are not on patrol - they are doing maintenance tasks. The prop managers do respond to serious stuff, but as noted, they are not trained the way we are.

Most of our parking, speeding & malicious mischief complaints come during the day - and substantially drop off a 1/2 hour before Security comes on duty.

Comment

I was an expert witness in a case where the maintenance department also functioned as the security department and something very bad happened. The case settled in favor of the plaintiff before the case could go to trial. This maintenance department had no qualified security people on it and the department supervisor had no security qualifications/training at all.

Thinking about this case it actually went to trial and was settled before I was called to the witness stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                            And....easily $200K+ to successfully defend a lawsuit for negligent security. You lose and it only skyrockets from there. You roll the dice and hope you don't roll craps.
                            Wish you could tell all the clients that.

Comment

Originally posted by macguard View Post
                              Wish you could tell all the clients that.
                              I give a 1-2 hour talk on litigation avoidance. Most of the time it is free except for actual travel expenses. One of the areas I spend time on is taking the class through the litigation process from the filing process through trial.

When I start adding the costs up at different stages of litigation it really hits home with the class. Then I show the costs as compared to the company business model and show them how much they money they have to make to make up the loss. Then I go into punitive damages which are not covered by insurance. This really seems to sink in.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X