My story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My story

Hello all. This is probably my first post here on this forum.
    Last edited by c0187; 06-28-2015, 01:18 PM.

The police department said that providing the training and equipment puts the city in a situation of liability risk. So in short, no training or equipment to assist us

That's absurd. I would think the potential liability of a personal injury or wrongful death suit from the security guard for being asked to perform hands on functions without proper equipment would be much greater than from having properly trained and certified security. PROPER training reduces liability not increases it.

If nothing gets better maybe try talking with HR or Employee Safety about what OSHA requires with regards to workplace violence.

Comment

First and foremost a most warm welcome from all of us at this forum. I have good vibes you will be a plus to hear from you. My wife and I will making our 4th trip this October to Phoenix and Tucson. Both nice cities.

We are doing some serious home looking in Tucson

The only negative about Phoenix are your drivers. Good Lord you people are bad. Loop 101, and 202 the drivers look like recent graduates of driving school

Here in Massachusetts we say hello to drivers who cut you off in traffic with the one finger salute, and directional signals ain’t allowed

It is sad, so very sad what has happened to our libraries. Disgusting. If any consolation, you are not alone in Phoenix. We have the same problem with libraries in the larger cities in Massachusetts. Homeless congregating around libraries. In summer they hang around the front entrances. I would not want my daughter bringing our granddaughter to have to deal with this
      In winter they hang around inside the library for warmth Local Cops will sometime kick them out in the streets, but they soon return to the warmth of the library

I don’t have an answer. No doubt Phoenix Police are stretched out as they are in most cities
      And as I am sure in the Phoenix library a lot those who are hanging around libraries are for many intoxicated
      http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

I've been to the Phoenix Library many times and it need security. There used to be a fountain in front to the library, do the homeless still use it as a bathhouse?
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        CoAuthor - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Comment

Thank you for the welcoming. Copeland; Tucson is beautiful.

Meet Shane. Shane is 27 years old. Have been working for the library for over 5 years and is part time just like everybody else in the library department. One day, he was breaking up a fight on the stairwell between floors one and two. Shane felt he had to get involved because the fight was getting out of hand and the risk to other patrons had gotten to the point where several patrons got injured trying to get away from the fight. The fight originated on the seventh floor, where one person started throwing chairs at another. Innocent patrons by shear bad luck had been caught in the fray. Later, one patron left in an ambulance. Anyways, Shane seeing that other patrons will get injured while he waited for PD to arrive, he decided, with backup from two other guards, to get involved and try and break it up. Shane ended up getting pushed down the flight of stairs. He broke his leg in several spots. HR sent him to Concentra for splints. They splinted his leg. But since recovery time was going to take over the maximum 6 weeks part timers were aloud to take off for recover or any type of unpaid leave, they let him go. Because security needs to be able to walk and climb stairs, this made him unable to perform job duties.

Meet James. James is 57 years old. He is a retired plant manager from Honeywell. Looking to supplement his income he takes a part time job at the library in security. James was running up the stairs to the fourth floor (teen central) to break up a fight, roughly 4 years ago. He had a massive coronary heart attack between floors 2 and 3. He was taken to the hospital and was told to take a couple of months off so his heart surgery for the stints they put in can heal. After his time was up, 7weeks later, he returns to work only to find HR had discharged his position due to being a liability for the city. They fired him basically because he took longer than 6 weeks to recover, but also said they were afraid he would have another heart attack and couldn't take the risk he would sue the city.
          Last edited by c0187; 06-28-2015, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
            I've been to the Phoenix Library many times and it need security. There used to be a fountain in front to the library, do the homeless still use it as a bathhouse?
            Haha, no. Before I started, that fountain had been permanently shut off because of that. I'm glad you remember that fountain.
            Last edited by c0187; 06-28-2015, 01:22 PM.

Comment

. As far as the homeless go, because it is a public building there is not much we can do to keep the transient/homeless people out until they either commit a crime or violate a policy as it infringes on their rights to freedom of information.

What about my rights to enjoy some peace and a tranquil place to read a book. God I am tired of the rights of people who do not act in a polite and courteous manner, Do not misunderstand what I say. If someone down on his or her luck, and has no real home to go to except for shelter,and wants to spend the day reading books, ,magazines, Go for It.

But if you are in the Phoenix public library to cause a ruckus , disturbance, fights they security has every right to kick you out on the streets

Public building. Who paid for that public building? Gee let me guess. The hard working taxpayer of Phoenix. I believe you should be responsible, I repeat that word RESPONSIBLE to conduct yourself in a civil way. And responsible s shutting off your damn cell phone

Meet James. James is 57 years old. He is a retired plant manager from Honeywell. Looking to supplement his income he takes a part time job at the library in security. James was running up the stairs to the fourth floor (teen central) to break up a fight, roughly 4 years ago. He had a massive coronary heart attack between floors 2 and 3. He was taken to the hospital and was told to take a couple of months off so his heart surgery for the stints they put in can heal. After his time was up, 7weeks later, he returns to work only to find HR had discharged his position due to being a liability for the city. They fired him basically because he took longer than 6 weeks to recover, but also said they were afraid he would have another heart attack and couldn't take the risk he would sue the city.

Good God. The City of Phoenix treated James like this? If I were James I would sue the City
              of Phoenix into the Ozone. Not because of the fight, but the shabby way he was treated when he returned. The HR, must be a real cutie pie

And if I were the news director at FOX 10, or KPHO channel 12, I would have news trucks parked in front of the Phoenix Library demanding to speak with your HR, and the crud way they treat city empl

Comment

Okay what’s the solution? What’s the answer? Libraries. One of more sacred institutions. Books and more books, and we have allowed a few creeps and a** holes to turn our libraries into sleeping rooms, Friday Night at the Fights, and beautiful fountains, to pee in and bathe in

My views? Not going to like it. Allow the author of this posting to be trained at some form of Phoenix Police Academy, Assign him, and men like James to have the authority to arrest. Perhaps not have firearms, but other tools at their disposal for powers of arrest

Have a Phoenix police officer stationed at the entrance of the library, and another on foot patrol at the library
                Any and all are welcome to come into the library. Poor, homeless. You get my drift. BUT one altercation, one fight, one disturbance and the Phoenix PD toss you into a black hole for a very long time

Comment

Back a few years ago, we had a pd officer assigned to a post. He had his own office and everything. It was nice to have someone with arresting powers around on the fly. Needless to say, that went the way of the economy.
                  Last edited by c0187; 06-28-2015, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Boston Public Library has had similar problems with homeless showering and shaving in our sinks in the bathroom. We are talking about one of the oldest libraries in country.

I no doubt you document everything, not just electronically, but on paper of all the incidents that have occurred I would make copies of incidents of what has happened and take them home with you. By doing this, and something does go down, a gangbanger God forbid does harm you, or a fist fight does escalate into an innocent person being injured or death you have documentation of bad things happening

I would ask for a meeting with HR asap. Ask what can be done to nip this in the bud? More security officers would be a biggie If they brush you off, jot down on paper you had a meeting with HR. Write down what was said in the meeting. Get witnesses if you can you had a meeting with HR

What would happen if that innocent person was a five year little boy? You can bet your booties http://www.abc15.com/ would have live shots from Burton Barr library. I am not you, but if I were in your shoes I would start naming names. Whose who at HR.

I am not you, I am not paying your bills. But it appears you have a very serious situation on your hands. This sounds like problems I hear from members of this board in public housing, not a public library
                    This will change when someone of high influence in the city of Phoenix is killed from a fist fight or some homeless person attacks a woman and she is raped on the grounds of the Burton Barr library. My fear security will be held accountable

You have walked into a room of lots and lots of Good people who care. I am Industrial Security 99% I have done some public housing so my heart aches for you. I know darn well working with the public you have to have be made of steal to take crap like this

You are working for the city of Phoenix? Do they have their own web site for job openings? I don’t want to have you jump from the frying pan into the fire, but maybe opt for public housing in the city of Phoenix
                    Please keep in touch with all of us

As I said in an early posting my wife and I are in Arizona for a few days. Helter Skelter from Sky Harbor, down to Tucson, to Prescott, to Flagstaff, then back down to maybe Buckeye
                    If you see a guy on 1-17, or 1-10 who looks like Larry Fine of the Three Stooges driving a Budget Rent a Car, with a pretty wife, you know its me

Comment

Hey copeland, thanks for the reply. The only place to find work within the city. I do in fact make copies of incident reports and ive got a rather large stack of the ones involving me. Unfortunately, with the budget (yes, it gets brought up continously) , we are told our department runs on X amount of hours and can never ever go over. We cant have enough guards because it costs too much and the city cannot afford it. We were told to do more with less.
                      Last edited by c0187; 06-28-2015, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Wow...It seems odd to me that you are completely unequipped. I have a number of friends in library security in Los Angeles, they are not armed, but do carry cuffs, ASP and OC. I have noticed a number of openings in the Phoenix area for armed municipal security at courts. That may be an area to look into. Good luck.

Comment

I actually applied to the airport. We will see.
                          Last edited by c0187; 06-28-2015, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c0187 View Post
                            I actually applied to the airport ops assistant (airport security). We will see.
                            Hey that's cool. As long as your hanging out at Sky Harbor, could you drive us over to car rental from the US airways terminal??That shuttle is for the birds. We will be flying US Air. that is if they don't go bankrupt

Comment

Originally posted by copelandamuffy View Post
                              Hey that's cool. As long as your hanging out at Sky Harbor, could you drive us over to car rental from the US airways terminal??That shuttle is for the birds. We will be flying US Air. that is if they don't go bankrupt
                              Good news!! The sky train is open for business! I believe it carries passengers from the terminals to the rental car hub. Not completely sure how it works as ive never taken it before.

Comment

Taboola

Collapse

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X