Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone gearing up for post Zimmerman trial riots?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone gearing up for post Zimmerman trial riots?

I'd have all guards "on standby" or even hanging out in office ready to roll when verdict is hours away.

Anyone in security do any "pre-riot board up services"?

We are prepping at my site

Comment

I've been contacted by a couple of retailers in regards to prep. This thing has the potential to be much bigger than what happened as a result of OJ trial.
      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
      CoAuthor - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
        I've been contacted by a couple of retailers in regards to prep. This thing has the potential to be much bigger than what happened as a result of the Kingtrial.
        Please expand on this. What happens if Zimmerman is found guilty?

I meant Kong and not OJ.
        http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Originally posted by copelandamuffy View Post
          Please expand on this. What happens if Zimmerman is found guilty?

nothing at all. Its if he's found Not Guilty that'll be a problem. Rodney King reaction nationwide.
          Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Ah, Rodney King...

This one has the potential to be way worse, thanks to social media. Also, I have no doubt that departments outside of Florida may or may not be planning a response. (Hopefully Seattle has learned from the King disturbance, WTO and the May Day riots...or not, as often seems to be the case.)

Couple of quick pointers for those who've never been to a riot - 1) Bring a gear bag - two or three meals, water, and extra batteries for your flashlight. Even though all I did during the King disturbance was protect our maintenance guy as he boarded windows, I was stuck inside a closed down building for close to 24 hours.
            2) Have fire extinguishers ready for small fires (trash cans, debris, etc.) Seattle FD was taking calls, but told us flat out to call back only if the actual building was on fire.
            3) Make a plan - hats off to the client for leaving us clear instructions on what to do, what not to do, and who to call and when. My immediate supervisors were all ex-cops and ex-military - we knew "the plan & chain of command."
            4) the cops may not be there to help you - they are following their orders. Without going into a long spiel, one outside department that responded to Seattle appeared to have no instructions other than "stand around the mall area and look menacing." I was trying to get assistance for a civilian - I was essentially ignored. I finally found an SPD officer who helped.

Comment

Absolutely be prepared...but you should be anyway. I worked the King riots...It wasn't fun. and yeah they have their own orders to deal with consider yourselves on your own. I was fortunate to be working a hotel...so we had ways of guaranteeing police and NG on premises.

Comment

OJ and even King were 'side issues' for most folks.

R. King was about how the POLICE might or might not be held accountable.

Zimmerman is about much more common type of 'confrontation', which many security officers are tasked to do daily.

Yeah, it is our job to 'wander' over and observe any 'suspicious' persons, and provide a 'visual deterrent'.

Using no official nuthin, a SO in any 'housing' post might be expected to do something similar to what the navy calls 'freedom of the seas exercise' and walk up to any one and just stay near them and not need to give any reason.

Comment

Originally posted by TOII View Post
                  Absolutely be prepared...but you should be anyway. I worked the King riots...It wasn't fun. and yeah they have their own orders to deal with consider yourselves on your own. I was fortunate to be working a hotel...so we had ways of guaranteeing police and NG on premises.
                  Free rooms?
                  I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                  Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by Squid View Post
                    OJ and even King were 'side issues' for most folks.

R. King was about how the POLICE might or might not be held accountable.

Zimmerman is about much more common type of 'confrontation', which many security officers are tasked to do daily.

Yeah, it is our job to 'wander' over and observe any 'suspicious' persons, and provide a 'visual deterrent'.

Using no official nuthin, a SO in any 'housing' post might be expected to do something similar to what the navy calls 'freedom of the seas exercise' and walk up to any one and just stay near them and not need to give any reason.
                    It was still a disturbance where race was a HUGE issue. I don't expect issues at my site, however back in my neighborhood I'm not too sure of what will happen. Keep ya head on a swivel...

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                      Free rooms?
                      That, some meals and...laundry service. We got those too fortunately. One concern after the riots was police uniforms stolen from dry cleaners.

Comment

Originally posted by zm88 View Post
                        nothing at all. Its if he's found Not Guilty that'll be a problem. Rodney King reaction nationwide.
                        Is everyone watching the trial? He will be found not guilty, either now or on appeal. The prosecution's case is... not strong.
                        The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
                          Is everyone watching the trial? He will be found not guilty, either now or on appeal. The prosecution's case is... not strong.
                          It never should have gone to trial in the first place, but due to the nationwide campaign accompanied by the media playing altered recordings it did go to trial. West is doing a great job, so is O'Mara. After seeign the Judge play favorites (IMO) with the prosecution I decided to stop watching. I've never seen a judge sit by while a person was as disrespectful/rude as JEantel or w.e her last name was.

Comment

Well, we may find out next week. The speculation is that the jury will not go with first degree murder, but possibly 2nd degree or manslaughter. Even with manslaughter the judge can impose a longer sentence in the upper range or beyond due to "aggravating" circumstances.

I would like him (and anyone else in this country) to get a fair trial, but I wonder how much a repeat of the first King verdict and the aftermath is weighing on the judicial officials involved. And if he gets a lesser charge, will the Far Left be dissatisfied and take to the streets?

Comment

There is no winner here. I do believe in our Judicial system and stress to my employees as well as others to never avoid Jury Service. That could just as well be anyone of us up there nd I don't want to be tried by someone who is there because they have nothing else to do. I have made it a company policy to pay our employees regardless of the amoint of time they are on service.

With that said, what a mess.
                              Every time [some software engineer] says, “Nobody will go to the trouble of doing that,” there’s some kid in Finland who will go to the trouble.

— Alex Mayfield

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Taboola

Collapse

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X