Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FEMA Armed Security Officer, Disaster Recovery.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FEMA Armed Security Officer, Disaster Recovery.

    It appears Ernesto is headed in the general direction of approximately Ft. Walton Beach, FLorida and may arrive next week end as a Cat. 3 or 4 Hurricane. Anyone have any information on what companies may have FEMA Armed Security Contracts for this event? Any information would be greatly appreciated. The company I had work for for several years is suddenly out of business.

  • #2
    Try the Yahoo Groups, and DisasterOfficers.org (CIS's website).
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

    "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

    Comment


    • #3
      Hmm I might need to go home


      btw: it's disasterofficers.com
      Last edited by GCMC Security; 08-27-2006, 05:31 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the info.

        Anyone have information or experience with 'Disaster Officers' to share?

        The strength and landfall predictions at this time are all over the map but after landfall, wherever that may be, there will be security jobs for the qualified.

        Steve C.
        Last edited by mh892; 08-27-2006, 11:38 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm keeping an eye on it, I have family up and down the coastm and just moved from panama city 2 months ago if you find anyone hiring for it let me know

          Comment


          • #6
            When I was in Louisiana last year, I was not assigned to FEMA, but when I would go to public places in my Wackenhut uniform, I have had both Red-Cross and FEMA members come and tell me that they were glad to see me and Wackenhut was providing security for their location.

            I am not certain on the validity of their statements as I never visited a FEMA site.
            "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
            "The Curve" 1998

            Comment


            • #7
              Forcast today shows it going up the Atlantic coast of FLorida.
              I have relatives in Fort Walton Beach so I keep an eye on these forcasts.

              Comment


              • #8
                FEMA Work

                Originally posted by mh892
                It appears Ernesto is headed in the general direction of approximately Ft. Walton Beach, FLorida and may arrive next week end as a Cat. 3 or 4 Hurricane. Anyone have any information on what companies may have FEMA Armed Security Contracts for this event? Any information would be greatly appreciated. The company I had work for for several years is suddenly out of business.
                mh892,

                Forget Ernesto for the moment, there is quite a bit of FEMA work in Lousiana from Katrina that is expected to last 18 mos to 2 years. Try Inner Parish Security Corp. www.ipsc.biz They are a client of mine and a FEMA contractor. They are always looking for good out of town officers. Ask for Brian, V.P. of Operations.
                Richard Dickinson
                Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
                DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
                www.hrdickinson.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by hrdickinson
                  mh892,

                  Forget Ernesto for the moment, there is quite a bit of FEMA work in Lousiana from Katrina that is expected to last 18 mos to 2 years. Try Inner Parish Security Corp. www.ipsc.biz They are a client of mine and a FEMA contractor. They are always looking for good out of town officers. Ask for Brian, V.P. of Operations.
                  Thanks. On your recommendation I'll give him a call. We complete our local contract next week end.
                  Last edited by mh892; 08-29-2006, 01:19 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    All I have to say is do not go to work for the company I worked for. There are a number of FEMA sites, ranging from hotels to hospitals to trailer distribution sites. Most are under SHAW, the management company that is running the majority of Katrina reconstruction.

                    Shaw has the FEMA contracts, and then farms them out to sub contractors who take a cut and farm them off to sub-subcontractors, who take a cut and farm them off to sub-sub-subcontractors, who take a cut and farm them off to sub-sub-sub-subcontractors, etc.

                    We worked at the 5th and 6th tier contractors in some cases. Shifts were 12 on, 12 off, 7 days a week and no private transportation. Pay was 1200.00 a week

                    We were told by the police to carry a gun even at unarmed sites because things could be that hairy down there. WE had a supervisor out of our Baton Rouge office who was working with a local gang to give us backup at unarmed sites if the NEw orleans gangs moved in and threatened us. Glad I didn't work Baton Rouge!

                    The one hospital site we worked had ordered 12 shotguns for their security staff and the guards carried up to 180 rds of ammo on their persons for their sidearms.

                    It was not unusual to see most of the people on the street were security officers at times, and nearly all of the armed.

                    If I was to go back down there, it would be after getting an actual contract spelling out exactly what I was making, where I was staying, and where I would be working. Also, be sure who you are reporting to. One site asked to have me removed because I was doing my job trying to find out who the truck driver was working for prior to letting him on the property, but my attitude pissed off the site manager. They moved me to another site rather than risk upsetting the SHAW people.

                    There are better contracts to be had. One of our guys quit and went to work for a group of amish women cooking dinners for distribution to the needy. HE was making an 8 hour shift, had transportation, a room shared with only one other team member, and 1600.00 a week. he also got to eat at the site.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      WOW! #1200.00 a week? That is really LOW for a FEMA GCSO. Makes me wonder about the qualifications of the SO's AND the companies. Thanks for the reply.

                      I've been searching for a web-site that lists companies with FEMA contracts. Anyone know of info. on the www?

                      Thanks. Steve.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        That is probably the difference between a 1st tier and 6th tier contract. But That is what most places were offering. a Few were a lot less. I saw security officers working for as low as 8.00 an hour with no overtime.

                        ALSO, you have to qualify to work as a security guard in LA. A 16 hour class plus qualifications with a firearms 8 hours.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by kingsman
                          That is probably the difference between a 1st tier and 6th tier contract. But That is what most places were offering. a Few were a lot less. I saw security officers working for as low as 8.00 an hour with no overtime.

                          ALSO, you have to qualify to work as a security guard in LA. A 16 hour class plus qualifications with a firearms 8 hours.
                          My WA license was recipricol (sp?) in LA. But I got a LA License anyway without the class, which I ended up using for a little while when I came back to WA because my WA License expired
                          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                          "The Curve" 1998

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            FEMA Contracts

                            Originally posted by mh892
                            WOW! #1200.00 a week? That is really LOW for a FEMA GCSO. Makes me wonder about the qualifications of the SO's AND the companies. Thanks for the reply.

                            I've been searching for a web-site that lists companies with FEMA contracts. Anyone know of info. on the www?

                            Thanks. Steve.
                            mh892,

                            My understanding is that the published federal wage determination for that area of Louisiana is $8.56 plus $2.87 for benefits. If you work 12 hours per day for seven days a week (which is what the implants normally do), that gives you $1,203 per week. How many rank and file security officers working in the private sector do you know that make more than that?
                            Richard Dickinson
                            Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
                            DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
                            www.hrdickinson.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hrdickinson
                              mh892,

                              My understanding is that the published federal wage determination for that area of Louisiana is $8.56 plus $2.87 for benefits. If you work 12 hours per day for seven days a week (which is what the implants normally do), that gives you $1,203 per week. How many rank and file security officers working in the private sector do you know that make more than that?
                              I made some calls and found the pay average to be as you stated. That has a couple of us floored. We are accustom to $14, $16 and $18 base rate plus the $2.87. Matter of fact we were paid $18.00 base for the initial response (first 60 days) then other contractors took over.

                              A couple contractors are paying $14.50. But, due to lack of housing/motels we would have bunk about fifty miles from the job site plus very high rent for a decent place if one can be found. Doesn't look very attractive to an out of towner.

                              I think the federal wage is for civil service type jobs. Disaster recovery/emergency pay is a different pay schedule.

                              Thanks for the replies and information. I'm going to continue researching out of curiousity.

                              Steve.

                              Additionaly I understand contractors are having some difficulty finding enough qualified armed guards amonst the locals. With all those people that are out of homes and jobs?

                              Comment

                              Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X