• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hrdickinson
    replied
    Pay Ratios

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    I've heard a ratio of 60 percent to the employee, 30 percent to the company for overhead, profit is about 1.5-2 percent.

This sounds like a question for HR Dickenson.
    Thank you, N.A.

The average, ballpark, ratio is between 65% and 70%. This varies by state based on payroll tax and insurance rates, among other factors. California, for example has terrible Workers Comp. rates (10% ++). Other states average more like 5% depending on your modification factor (Loss History). Again, this is a very general average. I personally have a client in Texas that normally has a very high bill and pay rate and won't take on a job above 60%. He's not growing very fast, but his officers enjoy working there and he's paying the bills.

Keep in mind, this ratio is only valid in terms of a contract where the only real cost is personnel. If you start adding cell phones, tour systems, etc., the bill rate has to increase.

Leave a comment:

• Black Caesar
    replied
    That is the one thing I don't miss about contract work: Someone else getting paid almost as much (in some cases more) that I was for me being on the line.

I know, without the contract company I wouldn't have had a job, and they have overhead and need to make a profit yadda yadda. It still sucked.

While I did the best job for the client I could, there was many times (usually while dealing with the more hard to please "I own you" type clients) I wanted to tell them "hey, I know you're paying $20 per hour for me to be here, but I'm getting $8 an hour, so I'll give you $8 worth of work, and you call the company for your other 12 bucks". lol

In-house is IMO always superior from the worker's perspective, it has been for me.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    GSA requires all General Schedule vendors to provide complete breakdown for services.

They know where its going.
    Paper trails are not difficult to fudge. Companies (including highly respected auditing firms) have generated plenty of financial reports that weren't worth the paper they were printed on, even though the numbers added up correctly.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    So does the general accounting office.....
    GSA requires all General Schedule vendors to provide complete breakdown for services.

They know where its going.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by wilrobnson
    Per the shop steward, we're billing the client at just over $51.00 an hour, while we're getting $21.70 of that.

Think of it like this: We're billing at a GS-15, Step 1, and being paid at a GS-09, Step 1.

Some overhead...I still wonder where it goes.
    So does the general accounting office.....

Leave a comment:

• GCMC Security
    replied
    Originally posted by wilrobnson
    Per the shop steward, we're billing the client at just over $51.00 an hour, while we're getting $21.70 of that.

Think of it like this: We're billing at a GS-15, Step 1, and being paid at a GS-09, Step 1.

Bet it's not to ne uniforms and gear!

I remember seeing somewhere when I was with wackyhut that the hospital was being billed like 26 an hour for me as a sup and I was making 11.50

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Last edited by OccamsRazor; 08-26-2006, 03:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    That sounds about right. Surprised they didn't bill you $24.00 an hour.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    When I managed an in-house security force I had to use a contract company to supplement my guards. I specified in the contract that the contract guard had to be paid a minimum of $10 per hour, so the contract company billed me $20 per hour.

Leave a comment:

• davis002
    replied
    A decent employee-minded company will typically pay its officers 60% of the bill rate. So if the client was being billed $20.00 per hour, then the officer would make $12.00 per hour. Some larger and/or greedy companies will typically pay 40-45% of the bill rate. Meaning if the client was being billed $20.00 per hour, then the officer would make $8.00-$9.00 per hour. So to answer your question, I would have to say the average is likely 45-50%. That's my guess though, so don't take that to the bank as they would say.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    I've heard a ratio of 60 percent to the employee, 30 percent to the company for overhead, profit is about 1.5-2 percent.

This sounds like a question for HR Dickenson.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    I think when I was with TWC and making 12.00/hr. I think I was told we were rated at 27/hr.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    I use contract people once in a while to backup my in-house staff when the hotels are busy. Since we only use the company once in a while we pay the max rate. It is just below $20/hour. The guards are paid just below $13/hour.

Leave a comment:

• The Lord of the Keys
    started a topic Pay ratios

Pay ratios

I was wondering if anyone knows what he average ratio is between how much a contract copmany charges its clients and how much the guards are paid. I mean if the company charges $20.00 an hour to the client would the guard expect about $9.00 and which companies have the smallest ratios.

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X