Easy Gigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy Gigs

Newbie here. These forums helped sway me toward security. I'm a college student looking for an easy gig in Chicago. This means being able to do some homework/reading at the site. I'm more than willing to do the midnight shift, but I heard you still do loads of walking in the big office buildings. Hotels, apartments, hospitals, museums. What are the best bets for an easy gig? I want to build a solid work history in this industry but I do need as much time as possible for school whilst still earning a living.

Originally posted by Friday
    Newbie here. These forums helped sway me toward security. I'm a college student looking for an easy gig in Chicago. This means being able to do some homework/reading at the site. I'm more than willing to do the midnight shift, but I heard you still do loads of walking in the big office buildings. Hotels, apartments, hospitals, museums. What are the best bets for an easy gig? I want to build a solid work history in this industry but I do need as much time as possible for school whilst still earning a living.
    If you intend to make security a serious career backed by a college degree, you may want to look at Guardsmark. Many of their sites are basically access control, fire prevention and the like. It's not uncommon to have several hours in a shift (midnight especially) to study. After obtaining your degree, you may be a candidate for account manager at Guardsmark while you look for more challenging positions in security or LE. Of course, you may just decide to stay on.

Welcome to the forums.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Stay away from hotels!! When I started I worked for Pinkerton mostly in small companies during the overnight & weekend shift when they were closed. At most we were expected to sit at a desk & do a patrol once an hour or so. It was great to do homework. In hotels you are expected to walk around as a deterent when not on a call.
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I understand that the Motorola office complex in Schamuburg is a pretty easy gig. Plus, I think that they are in-house (meaning the security force is directly employed by Motorola, not a contract security company) so the pay and benefits are decent.

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71
          I understand that the Motorola office complex in Schamuburg is a pretty easy gig. Plus, I think that they are in-house (meaning the security force is directly employed by Motorola, not a contract security company) so the pay and benefits are decent.
          It is, they are. I lived for a little bit next to Motorola-Schaumburg, when my GF was going to college (Institute of Art) there. I never once saw a security person anywhere on the property, found out through inquiry that they're in-house. Which is why I never saw them, they're all inside.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I used to work for Audit Bureau of Circulation, which is right across Meacham Rd. from Motorola. Small world, huh?

Thank god I was a Field Auditor and only had to go into the office in Schaumburg twice a year or so. If I had to live anywhere in the Chicagoland area I think I would have gone crazy! If the palm trees don't grow, I don't go!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X