No announcement yet.

The Corrections Officer’s Creed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prisons are for correcting behavior, thus Correctional institution. How does one turn a criminal into a productive citizen by giving them menial tasks to perform? How can society turn a person who is a preditor into something else? The liberal myth of turning these convicts into something else is just that, a myth. You must prevent the crime in the first place to stop criminals.
    Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

Nice poem but even when I worked as a CO I wasn't that gung ho. Maybe life as a Gang Unit officer at your facility is that way but not every CO deals with that on a daily basis. I spent 6 years as a CO in a state prison and never got splashed with blood or urine or had trash thrown at me. If that is happening in your institution then you need to rethink your control methods. I respect your hard work but have never personally gone in for these types of sappy Creeds, poems or prayers that pop up on posters, coffe mugs or throw blankets.
      Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
        Only because the liberals got their way. If you honestly think prisons rehabilitate felons, you've got another thing coming. Recidivism (sp?) is at an all-time high.
        No, I don't think that prisons rehabilitate criminals, I am not that naive nor that liberal. With a small handful of exceptions, every parolee I ever dealt with on the street was a career criminal who used his prison experiences as a sort of "finishing school" to make him a better crook.

I made the statement I did to point out the difference between what the ideal (rehabilitation) and the reality (better criminals) is. However, I do feel that rehabilitation should be the goal of incarcaration. Maybe one of the reasons recidivism is so high is because penal facilities are failing to properly rehabilitate the inmates? Food for thought, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71
          No, I don't think that prisons rehabilitate criminals, I am not that naive nor that liberal. With a small handful of exceptions, every parolee I ever dealt with on the street was a career criminal who used his prison experiences as a sort of "finishing school" to make him a better crook.

I made the statement I did to point out the difference between what the ideal (rehabilitation) and the reality (better criminals) is. However, I do feel that rehabilitation should be the goal of incarcaration. Maybe one of the reasons recidivism is so high is because penal facilities are failing to properly rehabilitate the inmates? Food for thought, anyway.
          Understood. It sounds like we actually agree! Sorry for sounding so harsh before, I think I misunderstood what you were saying.

Have a good day (or night or whatever it is there!)

Comment

Originally posted by jeff194307
            To all of you who have never worked at a prison, don't let crying convicts effect your ability to logically consider whether or not they are being treated correctly. Yes there are a few who were wrongly convicted, but the majority are where they belong. None of them are in prison for kissing the pope. I truly believe that before anyone becomes an appellate judge, he or she should be required to work with the prison line staff for a period of time. The unknowing liberals are the reason for our prisons becoming mor and more like day camps for the poor inocent convict. Mr Security, have you ever worked in a penal institution? If not, you cannot possibly understand how different life is there from normal life.
            No. Furthermore, I never have or will claim to understand the job or the prison environment. Still, it is no secret that rape, stabbings, and extortion are rampant in many correctional facilities. Just because a person is sentenced to prison doesn't mean that he/she deserves to be victimized in a violent manner. Non-violent offenders should not be forced to co-mingle or interact with violent offenders.

If you had to serve time for a non-violent mistake that you made (car accident, negligence, etc) how comfortable would you be as an inmate at the same prison where you use to work as a CO?

Jackhole and others have said that's too bad. You have it coming. It's a little different when it's your turn, isn't it?
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
              Nice poem but even when I worked as a CO I wasn't that gung ho. Maybe life as a Gang Unit officer at your facility is that way but not every CO deals with that on a daily basis. I spent 6 years as a CO in a state prison and never got splashed with blood or urine or had trash thrown at me. If that is happening in your institution then you need to rethink your control methods. I respect your hard work but have never personally gone in for these types of sappy Creeds, poems or prayers that pop up on posters, coffe mugs or throw blankets.
              I have only had Urine thrown on me, and our control methods are pretty good. Act up, get locked up in Seg. Throw something at me, get sprayed with OC, put your hands on me, get sprayed with OC. Have had blood on me from when two inmates had gotten into an altercation.

Comment

Heres another one

The Correctional Officers Creed was given to me on a Plague by one of my officers, it is hanging up in my office at my home.

Here is another one you might like:

Comment

Somewhere around the internet there's a Security Officer's Creed that doesn't insult the intelligence of the reader.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                    No. Furthermore, I never have or will claim to understand the job or the prison environment. Still, it is no secret that rape, stabbings, and extortion are rampant in many correctional facilities. Just because a person is sentenced to prison doesn't mean that he/she deserves to be victimized in a violent manner. Non-violent offenders should not be forced to co-mingle or interact with violent offenders.

If you had to serve time for a non-violent mistake that you made (car accident, negligence, etc) how comfortable would you be as an inmate at the same prison where you use to work as a CO?

Jackhole and others have said that's too bad. You have it coming. It's a little different when it's your turn, isn't it?
                    Mr Security, first of all if you had no previous record and went to prison for those non violent acts that you discribe, you would most likely be sent to a minimum security facility where those things do not often happen. I worked at Pelican Bay on the main line where stabbings and fights were often a daily occurance. If an inmate there felt that his safety was in danger, it was up to him to let the administration know about it and provide some sort of proof of the problem. much of the violence that occurs at a maximum facility is caused by waring gangs. Ther were many inmates at Pelican Bay who did not allow other inmates to tell them what to do and did not get involved in the violence. At a maximum facility, often the staff can only react to violence when it happens especially when they have no prior knowledge that someone is in trouble with the other inmates, be it their crime, they had disrespected someone, or some other reason. It was, I felt a shame that an officer had to sit in a gun tower with a weapon to stop grown adults from attacking each other.
                    Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff194307
                      Mr Security, first of all if you had no previous record and went to prison for those non violent acts that you discribe, you would most likely be sent to a minimum security facility where those things do not often happen. I worked at Pelican Bay on the main line where stabbings and fights were often a daily occurance. If an inmate there felt that his safety was in danger, it was up to him to let the administration know about it and provide some sort of proof of the problem. much of the violence that occurs at a maximum facility is caused by waring gangs. Ther were many inmates at Pelican Bay who did not allow other inmates to tell them what to do and did not get involved in the violence. At a maximum facility, often the staff can only react to violence when it happens especially when they have no prior knowledge that someone is in trouble with the other inmates, be it their crime, they had disrespected someone, or some other reason. It was, I felt a shame that an officer had to sit in a gun tower with a weapon to stop grown adults from attacking each other.
                      You have a point.
                      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X