THE CORRECTIONS OFFICER’S CREED

I walk through the gates of wrought iron,
    under arbors of razor wire.
    the clanging shut of all the gates,
    is the start of my day.
    Wondering some where deep in my mind
    if I will walk out the same way.
    Voices raised in anger, are the first words of my day,
    garbage flying down from the tiers reign upon my head .
    Words of hate are their daily song.
    Why you here boss man?
    What did you do wrong?
    Not a blessed thing
    Human rights are a funny thing,
    guaranteed to us at birth.
    But as an Officer within these walls,
    I am sorely hurt,
    I am spit upon, and cursed out loud.
    Have urine thrown upon me.
    All of this is by the ones,
    the government says should not be free.
    I guard the lowest of Earth’s scum,
    the guilty and the judged.
    Who have more rights than me.
    I spend my life as a free man,
    yet behind these walls of concrete and steel
    is where I am condemned to be.
    And all for the simple reason,
    the inmates can not be freed.
    The bleeding hearts and liberal officials.
    Value the convict more than me.
    I am not a police officer,
    and often held with distaste.
    I go to work everyday, never a prayer is said.
    You don’t hear the wishes of please be safe.
    No one ever remembers me.
    As long as none escapes.
    Don’t admit that they exist,
    you can safely sleep, I am there when you least care.
    To serve and to protect.
    I don’t wear the badge so bold, or carry a gun at my side.
    I only have my wits with me to help me survive.
    So when you hear of a CORRECTIONS OFFICER
    don’t look upon us with disdain.
    We are not just security guards.
    We keep this land from
    Going totally insane.

Question

Why are other inmates able to prey on non-violent offenders? I never understood why the general public and lawmakers accept rape, stabbings, etc. as a "normal" part of the prison experience. They seem to have the attitude that since all are criminals, then that's what they get.

I acknowledge that your job ranks as one of the most dangerous and demanding that one can have. Still, I can't see why violent offenders are mixed in with the non-violent prison population. What can or should be done to protect vulnerable inmates from the hardcore vicious predators that live simply to stalk their next victim?
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

In Texas

we have what is called the AD 4.69 Life in Danger, or commonly known as "Protective Custody". When we identify a Predator inside the system we lock him up to ensure that he wont prey on weaker inmates. We take great steps to ensure that the offenders are protected.
      sigpic
      DnT Designs
      Click Here
      =======================================
      Views or opinions presented in this FORUM POSTING are solely those of the author.
      Check out DnT Designs, tons of items for those that protect the public!

Comment

Originally posted by dla4079
        we have what is called the AD 4.69 Life in Danger, or commonly known as "Protective Custody". When we identify a Predator inside the system we lock him up to ensure that he wont prey on weaker inmates. We take great steps to ensure that the offenders are protected.
        Although it's encouraging to know that your facility has a program to stop such attacks, it seems that the nature of the crime that resulted in the convict's incarceration would already tell corrections who is or isn't a predator in the first place. Also, isn't it true that "snitches" are more likely to end up in PC than the predators simply because CO's can't really protect them?
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
          Although it's encouraging to know that your facility has a program to stop such attacks, it seems that the nature of the crime that resulted in the convict's incarceration would already tell corrections who is or isn't a predator in the first place. Also, isn't it true that "snitches" are more likely to end up in PC than the predators simply because CO's can't really protect them?
          Well, since most "predators" tend to roll with a gang, you now have to protect a victim from multiple people rather than just the one. Its much easier to place them into protective custody I believe.
          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

When I worked at Pelican Bay, the only way that you could lock up potential victims was for them to request lock-up and have a valid reason why they felt they were in any more danger than anyother inmate. The thing to remember here is they have some control over how they move around the housing unit and it is not mandantory that they leave their cell, unless ordered to do so by a Correctional Lieutenant or higher rank. If they are being ordered out for some reason, there would be ample staff in the area of the cell to protect them from harm. I always hated the idea that I had to protect inmates from each other, after all, who was there to protect the victim of the crime that put them in prison? Of course I did protect them because it was a job requirment to do so.
            Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
              Why are other inmates able to prey on non-violent offenders? I never understood why the general public and lawmakers accept rape, stabbings, etc. as a "normal" part of the prison experience. They seem to have the attitude that since all are criminals, then that's what they get.
              I'm sure you fit right in with the rest of the liberals in Connecticut. If you get raped, stabbed, etc. in jail that is what you get. We don't send good people to jail, so if something bad happens to them there, so what? Should have thought of that before you got your ass put in jail.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
                I'm sure you fit right in with the rest of the liberals in Connecticut. If you get raped, stabbed, etc. in jail that is what you get. We don't send good people to jail, so if something bad happens to them there, so what? Should have thought of that before you got your ass put in jail.
                No innocent person was ever sent to prison, right?

With advances in DNA and other technology occurring almost daily, more and more wrongly convicted people are being released from prisons across America.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
                  I think that line of thinking is disgusting. Let's say that you commit bank fraud, and they bust you for grand larceny and send you to prison. Are you saying that because you committed the bank fraud you are such an evil person that you deserve to be stabbed and raped?

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71
                    No innocent person was ever sent to prison, right?

With advances in DNA and other technology occurring almost daily, more and more wrongly convicted people are being released from prisons across America.
                    I knew as soon as I typed my post that I should have put intentionally in there. We're not intentionally sending good people to jail. I'm all for doing anything to free innocent prisoners, but due to the way our criminal justice system is set up, it's bound to happen from time to time. Thankfully, due to technological advances, we're getting better at figuring out if a person is really guilty of a crime or not.

Comment

Originally posted by bigshotceo
                      I think that line of thinking is disgusting. Let's say that you commit bank fraud, and they bust you for grand larceny and send you to prison. Are you saying that because you committed the bank fraud you are such an evil person that you deserve to be stabbed and raped?
                      The prisoner doesn't deserve it, no prisoner deserves it. But like I said before, should have thought of that before you got sent to prison.

Comment

To all of you who have never worked at a prison, don't let crying convicts effect your ability to logically consider whether or not they are being treated correctly. Yes there are a few who were wrongly convicted, but the majority are where they belong. None of them are in prison for kissing the pope. I truly believe that before anyone becomes an appellate judge, he or she should be required to work with the prison line staff for a period of time. The unknowing liberals are the reason for our prisons becoming mor and more like day camps for the poor inocent convict. Mr Security, have you ever worked in a penal institution? If not, you cannot possibly understand how different life is there from normal life.
                        Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff194307
                          The unknowing liberals are the reason for our prisons becoming mor and more like day camps for the poor inocent convict.
                          Amen, brother!

Comment

I thought the whole purpose of America's penal institutions is to rehabilitate offenders and turn them into productive members of society, not to punish them?

Isn't that why prisons are called "correctional facilities" and prison staff "correctional officers"?

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71
                              I thought the whole purpose of America's penal institutions is to rehabilitate offenders and turn them into productive members of society, not to punish them?

Isn't that why prisons are called "correctional facilities" and prison staff "correctional officers"?
                              Only because the liberals got their way. If you honestly think prisons rehabilitate felons, you've got another thing coming. Recidivism (sp?) is at an all-time high.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X