Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biggest Gripe About LEO's?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Biggest Gripe About LEO's?

    What are your pet peeves regarding police officers? I interact with security officers frequently and I want to know what they might be saying about me, after I leave. I make it a point to treat all security officers with respect and they usually reciprocate. What can we (police) do to better our relationship with security personnel?
    I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
    -Lieutenant Commander Data
    sigpic

  • #2
    The only real gripe I've had about LEOs is when you get one who dosen't feel that its their job to do their job, no matter the violation. I'll give two examples that made the security officers look bad. One was addressed by a Master Patrol Officer (E-2) at the scene, the other was addressed by a Corporal who stopped in to appologize for the officer's attitude later.

    Part of the duties on the site I was a site supervisor on required that we call the police for any vehicle with expired, altered, or missing plates to verify the vehicle is not stolen or otherwise wanted. If its clean, we did a private impound. If its not, we held the vehicle till the local police responded. The local police agency suddenly enacted a policy of sending out a police officer to investigate ANY suspicious vehicle call. So, when I and my partner found a vehicle with no stolen indicators, just an altered tag on private property (temp expiration altered,) the dispatcher sent an officer to investigate the issue. The officer was annoyed that we "requested an officer" to investigate a non-crime, as the altered tag is only a crime on public roads. We told him that the dispatcher sent him, not us, and he responded by neutral dropping his car into drive after revving the engine, which woke up half the section 8 housing and gave us some very pissed off residents. We assured the residents we'd "deal with it," and called the Corporal on her cell to keep the officer from getting offiical reports filed against him by the residents, she said she'd handle it with counseling, and I'm told she did. He eventually started working with us, and when he made MPO, we could count on him to get 10 police officers to help sweep the area when there's 100 kids out of control during a block party, and only 5 security officers to remove them.

    The second incident was at the same property. Most of the officers in the sector knew that we were vigerously enforcing the trespass laws to curb illegal drug running from our units to the crack house across the street. The officers knew we worked with the local anti-drug and street crime team, and that most of the people we'd be hitting with trespass warnings would have crack cocaine on them.

    For some reason, one of the newer officers decided to take an hour to arrive, told my partner that trespass is a "piddly ass crime," and not to call her again, because it wastes her time to write trespass warnings. This was in front of the trespassed individual, as well. Her backup heard all this, and called an MPO to the scene, who took her aside and reminded her that her job IS to write trespass warnings, and to arrest for trespass after warning, and to support the property owners in upholding their rights (or that of the agents) in property crimes, especially when the guy she's writing has a warrant out.

    She didn't like coming out after that, which was just fine by us.

    The only peeves I have are when the LEO doesn't feel they have time to do their job. I've heard things like, "Can I get to the shooting now?" No, because if you were dispatched to that shooting, you wouldn't be babysitting this stolen vehicle and booking this car thief we caught. I also can't stand inter-department rivalries. I have actually had to call the local sheriff because the local police (A different police) were so unprofessional as to the point they were not enforcing the law. A Deputy Sergeant arrived, ordered the police officers away, and took enforcement action. That local police department hired a new chief a few years back, and are now greatly improved with their relations with both the sheriff and several security companies. On the other coin, don't judge the fact we wear professional, quality, uniforms as an indication that we're all "wannabes." This stemmed from local deputies mistaking the company I worked for for another one, because of the quality of our uniforms compared to the rent-a-body companies. After he started yelling about "Company this and COmpany that" I polietly asked him to open his eyes and read my patches.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

    "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

    Comment


    • #3
      I have 'No Pet Peeves' regarding Police Officers and I judge them as I find them.

      In so far as what they might be saying about you, Tennsix, well I guess it depends on your attitude towards them and how you respond to the reason why they called you in the first place.

      Just as there are many types of Police Officers, there are also many types of Security Officers and you should be mindful that within the private security industry there are many who have had distinguished careers within the police and military and you would be wise to bear that in mind when dealing with Security Officers, Tennsix.

      Comment


      • #4
        I Come In Peace

        Originally posted by IrishGuard
        I have 'No Pet Peeves' regarding Police Officers and I judge them as I find them.

        In so far as what they might be saying about you, Tennsix, well I guess it depends on your attitude towards them and how you respond to the reason why they called you in the first place.

        Just as there are many types of Police Officers, there are also many types of Security Officers and you should be mindful that within the private security industry there are many who have had distinguished careers within the police and military and you would be wise to bear that in mind when dealing with Security Officers, Tennsix.
        What?s with the egotistical and confrontational attitude? I harbor no predisposed or stereotypical attitude toward security guards.

        I am well aware people had jobs/careers prior to security work. As for what I bear in mind, I can handle myself. I treat people the way I would like to be treated. That philosophy has served me well in my private and professional life.
        I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
        -Lieutenant Commander Data
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Tennsix,

          Welcome! We are pleased to have you join us. We can always benefit from your LEO experience. I want to commend you for wanting to improve relations between police and security and vice-versa. We both have distinct roles to play in protecting people and property. I wish the police where I work would interact with us, even if they just stopped by to say hello when it's slow in their sector. Unfortunately, the police that work near my post avoid contact with us and it's like pulling teeth to get them to come when we have trespassers, etc. I am a former police/911 dispatcher and would appreciate having a rapport with them. Any ideas or suggestions? Your attitude toward security is refreshing and very encouraging. Keep up the excellent work. I am grateful that we have police officers like you to serve and protect us.
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

          Comment


          • #6
            Hello Tennsix,
            When I come across Officers with good character such as yourself I never have complaints.

            My one "pet peeve" with LEOs is that I cant stand the ones who dont do their jobs. Ones who think that their job is not their job. Whether Security or Police Officer you are there to protect and secure people, property, and perimeters. If you are a person in a postion of trust and public safety I beleive that you should not be a slacker period.

            I think we can better our dealings with eachother if we just stick to respecting eachother and keep our minds on the job.

            Comment


            • #7
              Well said.
              I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
              -Lieutenant Commander Data
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mr. Security
                Tennsix,

                Welcome! We are pleased to have you join us. We can always benefit from your LEO experience. I want to commend you for wanting to improve relations between police and security and vice-versa. We both have distinct roles to play in protecting people and property. I wish the police where I work would interact with us, even if they just stopped by to say hello when it's slow in their sector. Unfortunately, the police that work near my post avoid contact with us and it's like pulling teeth to get them to come when we have trespassers, etc. I am a former police/911 dispatcher and would appreciate having a rapport with them. Any ideas or suggestions? Your attitude toward security is refreshing and very encouraging. Keep up the excellent work. I am grateful that we have police officers like you to serve and protect us.
                Thanks for the welcome. I am a member of officer.com. I see some familar screen names here.
                I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                -Lieutenant Commander Data
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tennsix
                  Thanks for the welcome. I am a member of officer.com. I see some familar screen names here.
                  You caught me
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tennsix
                    What?s with the egotistical and confrontational attitude?
                    I didn't mean it to sound that way and I thought that my use of the Smilies would have clarified my tone, but apparently not.

                    Although it appears that I am referring to you personally, I was referring to all Police and Security Officers in general.

                    Your question was - "What are your pet peeves regarding police officers?"

                    I acknowledge that my answer may have given the impression that you personally were my pet peeve, which of course is not the case because, as I do not personally know you, I am therefore not in a position to judge you.

                    On reflection, my reply to your question would have been better put thus;

                    "I have 'No Pet Peeves' regarding Police Officers and I judge them as I find them.

                    In so far as what Security Officers might be saying about attending Police Officers, well I guess it depends on the Police attitude towards them and their response to the reason why they were called in the first place.

                    Just as there are many types of Police Officers, there are also many types of Security Officers and attending police officers should be mindful that within the private security industry there are many who have had distinguished careers within the police and military."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks for the clarification.

                      Respect is not bestowed upon a person, it is earned. That is true in all walks of life. I my years on the job, I have learned that no one has all the answers and we all learn something new everyday. Having said that, we (SEO and LEO) should strive to earn each other?s respect. I realize that won?t happen over night but the practice of keeping score, so to speak, only serves to perpetuate discord.
                      I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                      -Lieutenant Commander Data
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tennsix
                        Thanks for the clarification.

                        Respect is not bestowed upon a person, it is earned. That is true in all walks of life. I my years on the job, I have learned that no one has all the answers and we all learn something new everyday. Having said that, we (SEO and LEO) should strive to earn each other?s respect. I realize that won?t happen over night but the practice of keeping score, so to speak, only serves to perpetuate discord.
                        I'm reminded of a multi-million dollar campaign the State of Florida runs, every year, to teach police officers about the licensing, mission, and powers of a private security officer in Florida. Pamphlets, training, speakers, you name it - all with one goal: To make police officers understand that Florida requires security officers for hire (Not in-house) have minimum standards and training and that they may carry their weapon anywhere in the state - regardless of location - while performing duties. The other end of this is part of the State Security Officer training, which tries to teach security officers that police officers are not your enemy, etc.

                        I think alot of the problem stems from the fact that private security keeps expanding into new areas, usually driven by market conditions. As the numbers of private security employees skyrocket, the budgets of public policing agencies are nearing the breaking point. American Public Policing, from what I've read, is just that, American. Many European towns contract with Securitas for a town constable, who responds to calls in the manner of deputies in rural areas - Securitas sends a police officer down to your town to deal with a police problem.

                        Something I hear alot is "Security guards keep trying to do our job." I've heard this in reference to things have not been typically police responsibilities - such as response to alarms, protection of individuals (not society as a whole), and providing armed protection to nightclubs, etc. I think alot of this stems from police short-calls or off-duty work, something that directly competes with security companies.

                        I've watched police officers at street level try to "steal" contracts from my previous employer, claiming superior training and authority. In most cases, you do not need law enforcement powers to complete the client's mission, so its a waste of money. The off-duty LEO must still call for transport. The off-duty LEO cannot leave the client's property, as he is legally protecting it. Most off-duty LEOs are not willing to enforce client regulations - they vary from site to site, and usually enforce felony or misdomeanor law only.

                        I've had conversations with police officers about DHS issues, especially petrochemical depots in the Port of Tampa. I was informed by several officers that they fear responding to calls for service in that area - they don't want to be blown to hell because someone flicks a bic in the Port. Most are afraid and unwilling to enter the petrochemical sterile zone, they have to get out of their car - walk - and turn off their pager and radio. Would you want to turn your police radio off and be utterly alone in an enviornment where firearms usage may cause 4,000,000 gallons of gasoline to explode? However, I've had police officers with no ISPS training whatsoever state that private security has no business in the ports, and that it should be street level patrol officers. He was at a loss when he was quizzed on ISPS/USCG/DHS protocol for vessels, and then realized that you can't put your average security guard in a port, they require special training to federal standards.

                        Right now, private security's expanding role is competition for off-duty police contracts, as are off-duty police contracts competition for security companies. Police organizations seem to resent the fact that the public is turning more and more to private contractors for non-enforcement services, such as protection of public areas (malls, etc) which are private property, and the legislative intent behind strengthening security powers.

                        Many people state that "security guards are private citizens, nothing more." I find this to be falacy and untrue. As a nation, security personnel are being afforded privilages commonly reserved for law enforcement officers. Powers of arrest, open carry of firearms after training, carrying of batons and pepper spray in states where their possession is prohibited by the public, authority to issue parking tickets and some citations, and even the extreme of private police forces in masterplanned communities - all deputized for the shift by the public Chief of Police. Here, in Wisconsin, private security officers are given the privilage of carrying a weapon openly while in a moving vehicle, something that the general public is prohibited from doing. In Florida, they may bear arms openly, against Florida Statute, in areas where normal citizens may not carry concealed.

                        Society demands, as they have for years, that someone protect them. For that, we have the police department. Individuals, corporations, and cooperatives demand that they have someone to protect THEM exclusively. For that, we have private security.
                        Some Kind of Commando Leader

                        "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          After the treatment I got on one police site, it's clear to me that most cops view s/o's as contemptable. I use to be pro law enforcement, but no longer. If a cop is nice to me then I will respond in kind. Otherwise, I see them as a necessary evil in todays violent society and that's it!

                          Tennsix: Thanks for your kind replies to my questions on that site Since I am not allowed to thank the VA trooper who came to my aid when all the other cops ganged up on me, I would appreciate it if you sent him a private message thanking him in my behalf.
                          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Mr. Security
                            After the treatment I got on one police site, it's clear to me that most cops view s/o's as contemptable. I use to be pro law enforcement, but no longer. If a cop is nice to me then I will respond in kind. Otherwise, I see them as a necessary evil in todays violent society and that's it!

                            Tennsix: Thanks for your kind replies to my questions on that site Since I am not allowed to thank the VA trooper who came to my aid when all the other cops ganged up on me, I would appreciate it if you sent him a private message thanking him in my behalf.
                            I take it you stirred up the hornet's nest, and got banned? It happens, as that website (a sister site of this site, btw) is marketing towards sworn law enforcement officers, but more importantly, sworn managers with decision powers. Those are the advertisers they're after.

                            Remember what I said about fraternity. LE has a large fraternity, and has for years. There are two kinds of people in the LE world: Those who have the badge, and those who don't.

                            Notice how some users fight over "who a cop is," or "prison guard" vs "correctional officer." It seems quite a few "minorities" on that site have to deal with issues from the road officer, while others will staunchly run up and defend the correctional deputy, jailer, etc.
                            Some Kind of Commando Leader

                            "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                              I take it you stirred up the hornet's nest, and got banned? It happens, as that website (a sister site of this site, btw) is marketing towards sworn law enforcement officers, but more importantly, sworn managers with decision powers. Those are the advertisers they're after.

                              Remember what I said about fraternity. LE has a large fraternity, and has for years. There are two kinds of people in the LE world: Those who have the badge, and those who don't.

                              Notice how some users fight over "who a cop is," or "prison guard" vs "correctional officer." It seems quite a few "minorities" on that site have to deal with issues from the road officer, while others will staunchly run up and defend the correctional deputy, jailer, etc.
                              Yea, they banned me. The more I read various posts about how they can't stand security officers, the angrier I got. That thread that I started about showing p/c to S/O's was a test. I really don't expect any special treatment. But I knew that thread would expose the hatred that they have on that site against security. They took the bait and confirmed my suspicions. You are exactly right. They can't even get along between themselves. Be careful on that site. They would love to find some excuse to ban anyone in security that calls them on it.
                              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                              Comment

                              Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X