No announcement yet.

Poking around - batons, antennas, what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poking around - batons, antennas, what?

I am posted to a grocery store where I am often required to poke behind items to look for empty containers or to check customers' bags if the Sensormatic system alarms. Not to mention the issue of checking in the washroom garbage, under the sinks, and in the diaper-changing tables (looking for drugs and paraphernalia).

I used to use a very tightly rolled up flyer, but that bends too easily. Then I bought a pair of Hatch gloves, with the spectra, but I'm finding that they are getting a bit grimy.

I think that a very short expandable baton would probably fit the bill nicely, but I am greatly concerned about that because there are all sorts of legal issues with them; 'No, Constable, I am not trained in their use, I use it to poke at things, not as a weapon' I can't see that going over well.

I'm thinking about just using a simple car antennna, but I'm afraid that I could have the same issue of weapon carriage as with the baton.

Any thoughts?

wjohnc
    who realizes that every weapon is a tool, but who is looking for a tool, not a weapon
    Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

I would say a piece of PVC because its obviously not a weapon, but an annoying constable can make the claim your carrying a straight stick. Same with wood.

Hmm, interesting question. I'd say use an ASP P-9 Search Tool or a Monadnock AutoLock Jr, but those are both kubatons and on the offensive weapons list I believe.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

how about one of those expandale pointers that corporate people always use?

Comment

Originally posted by GCMC Security
        I was just about to comment that I am still sticking the square peg into this round hole. That's a good one, the expandable pointer.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

make one yourself, an old straight umbrella w/ the handle on the end looks like a cane, there are alot of them thrown out, tale off the canvas and spiral part and use the straight part, or an old cane, both are non wepons, but trainning can make you an expert on useing them like one, goo luck
          MIKee
          1UNDER1

Comment

Use a 36" x 3/16" dowel rod. It's too flimsy to be considered as a weapon. You can cut it in half, making two 18" x 3/16" rods. They are cheap to begin with, and you can toss it after it gets contaminated. I would still use a pair of gloves though, just in case. The gloves will last as long as the dowel rod is the instrument that actually contacts the "material."

Have fun...
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by GCMC Security
              Oh, jeez, I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

But when I searched Staples for an expandable pointer I found one. It's a pen when collapsed (which will help in any legal issue) and telescopes to 24".
              Before I buy, though, I'll have to check how durable it is, after all I don't want it bending over in the first bag I check, even if it is only $7.

Thanks very much, you've probably helped save a $60 pair of gloves.

wjohnc
              Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
              "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Comment

Any chance you could put a large pair of rubber gloves OVER the leather ones so that they don't get dirty?
                I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

How about TALKING to the constable/police about the issue.
                  He may be able to suggest something to you or clear you to use differant items.

Anytime I have a delimna (sp) I try to contact someone over that part.
                  Last edited by ACP01; 08-15-2006, 11:57 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X