No more Wackenhut for me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more Wackenhut for me...

Well, in about a little less than 20 hours I will no longer be a Wackenhut Employee. I have left Wackenhut and taken up a security position with the Behavioral Health Resource (Mental Health Triage) in Olympia WA. I enjoyed my time with Wackenhut, but as of late people in our corporate office have gotten a little screwy in my opinion. One of whom has even stated that he was the reason I was fired (He told this directly to the S/o who sat next to me as I spoke to Wackenhut over the phone about my two week notice )

My reasons for leaving are not only the office staff, but since gas is a bajillion and a half dollars for a gallon, the 100mile trip everyday just isn't cutting it for 12 dollars an hour.

BHR has offered the following (which I think is a good deal! )

$12.87 starting pay.
    $0.75 Hourly differential for evenings (7pm-midnight I believe)
    $1.25 Hourly differential for midnights (0000-0300 I believe, I am not sure on either of the differential times)
    Accumulation of 10 hours Vacation per month (Earned after 6mos probation)
    Accumulation of 8 hours sick per month (Earned immediately)
    1 personal day per month. (Earned immediately)
    Retirement paid in at 5% of salary, matching is optional.
    100% of Health benefit premium paid (Group Health)

This is far beyond what Wackenhut had to offer me. (Also it is only 10 minutes from home instead of 50)

For those interested in a Security position, I will always recommend Wackenhut Corp. It is a very good company for those starting out in the business, but may or may not be a good place to lead a career, contingent upon your office and post.

It looks like I am going to need a new Screen name
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Sorry to hear that you quit (fired?) the Hut but glad to see you got a better job closer to home. As someone who works 50 miles from where I live I know very well about those 100mile round trips. I am waiting to see what happens after our company finishes renegotiating our contract. If we get a decent raise, like we are being led to think we will get, then I may stay. If no raise appears I will have to find another job. I can't afford to drive 100 miles a day for $10.50 an hour.
    Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Good luck on your new career. Sounds like you made a wise choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
        Well, in about a little less than 20 hours I will no longer be a Wackenhut Employee. I have left Wackenhut and taken up a security position with the Behavioral Health Resource (Mental Health Triage) in Olympia WA. I enjoyed my time with Wackenhut, but as of late people in our corporate office have gotten a little screwy in my opinion. One of whom has even stated that he was the reason I was fired (He told this directly to the S/o who sat next to me as I spoke to Wackenhut over the phone about my two week notice )

My reasons for leaving are not only the office staff, but since gas is a bajillion and a half dollars for a gallon, the 100mile trip everyday just isn't cutting it for 12 dollars an hour.

$12.87 starting pay.
        $1.25 Hourly differential for midnights (0000-0300 I believe, I am not sure on either of the differential times)

This is far beyond what Wackenhut had to offer me. (Also it is only 10 minutes from home instead of 50)

For those interested in a Security position, I will always recommend Wackenhut Corp. It is a very good company for those starting out in the business, but may or may not be a good place to lead a career, contingent upon your office and post.

I think its always best to leave your options open no matter where or who you work for.

But yea, your not the only one that has looked into moving on that works for TWC. Though I plan to stay on for a while and see where things are going. But yes, there are apparently a few loose screws running the area offices. My field supervisors are pretty decent but we have a local office manager that is about as screwy as they come.

There are hints of WBC syndrome floating around other areas (shudder) but so far..so far the ripples have not hit us here.

Good luck with you new job WL, er... L. Keep us appraised.
        My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
          Sorry to hear that you quit (fired?)
          Wasn't fired, but thats what at least one of them seems to think.

Its going to be nice to have to fill my tank once or twice a month rather than 6 or 7.

I wish things would have worked out better for me at Wackenhut, but they just dont seem to have their heads on straight. They wont modernize at all, its like the uniforms and equipment is straight out of the '50s. Which, I feel is killing them on the GSA accounts that they keep saying they're close to winning. I dont see how they think they can win these accounts when they are offering some guard in a 1959 California Highway Trooper lookin' uniform with a .38 revolver and nothing else, but for the same price, another company has an officer in 5.11 Tactical Pants, a Cool-max polo shirt with reflective lettering, armed with a Glock 17, extra mags, baton and OC Certified, handcuff and restraint trained etc...

They wont go for contracts that the officers WANT to work... but they jump all over the ones that the officers dread. I.E. They picked up a weeklong contract guarding the American Trial Lawyers Association convention, but turned down a contract where the officers would be used at a protest because they didnt want to do it armed.
          "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

I am currently looking for something close to home, I drive 50 miles each way also for 12.50. I also work for Wackenhut,they have a few posts down the street from my house but they are only 8.00 an hour jobs. My job search is not going very well at this time. Congrads to you!!!!!

Comment

Thanks... good luck to you in your search.
              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Good luck at the new place.

Just to make everyone jealous I no longer have a car. I use BMW. (Bus, Metro or Walk ). I'm a 2 minute walk from my condo to the metro station. A 15 minute metro ride to the station near my downtown hotel & a 2 minute walk from the metro station to the hotel.

When I have to go to the 2 hotels out by the airport it's a half hour metro ride then a 10 minute bus ride. In an emergency the hotels pay the $30.00 taxi.
                I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

$12.87 starting pay.

100 miles in 50 minutes? Damn. How do you not get tickets going 120+ every day to work?

Congrats on the new job, Wackenhut never seemed very professional to me.

Comment

I dont see how they think they can win these accounts when they are offering some guard in a 1959 California Highway Trooper lookin' uniform with a .38 revolver and nothing else
                    I said the same thing to you probably 2 months ago and you whole-heartedly disagreed with me, saying the uniform was professional and inspired confidence.

I'm glad you finally saw it my way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
                      I said the same thing to you probably 2 months ago and you whole-heartedly disagreed with me, saying the uniform was professional and inspired confidence.

I'm glad you finally saw it my way.
                      I still think the uniform is professional. But they need more avenues. I feel the CPO uniform is great for something like an office building or an upscale bank, but with different selections of uniforms, there would be more clients willing to take on Wackenhut as their security provider.
                      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

100 miles in 50 minutes? Damn. How do you not get tickets going 120+ every day to work?

It is a 100 Mile trip everyday because I travel 50 miles to work and 50 back. Most of it is freeway driving so I am doing between 60-70mph... takes me about 50 minutes to cover the distance.
                        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Our people working at the airport hotels used to have to fill in for the shuttle bus drivers during the off hours. It takes 20 minutes to go & come back from the airport. I was always nervous about leaving the hotels unprotected so I'd do 120km/hour in the 70km zone when there was no one else in the van. The secret of not getting tickets? The hotels gave the cops free food
                          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Dont feel bad my friend, my round trip commute is 160 miles a day.. but worth it, as I love what I do...

And you, sorry to say, I am glad you got out of there, and are onto a job I am more than sure you will become addicted to. Good luck, and keep us all posted on your new aspiration!
                            Deputy Sheriff

Comment

One bad thing about those long commutes is the odds of getting in a wreck go up with each mile. Yesterday the odds caught up with me. At approx 5pm on what was a typical Thursday afternoon commute to work I was slammed into while sitting at a red light. A woman driving an SUV at about 45MPH was distracted by something she had dropped on the foor of her car. She slammend into the back of a full sized pickup truck sitting behind me. The pickup truck was thrown into the back of my car. My car was pushed into the car infront of me and they were pushed into a fifth vehicle. The woman in the SUV had moderate injuries. The guy who was behind me in the pickup truck had some serous injuries and I was walking wounded with a injured knee from slamming into the dashboard. After it was all over and done with, the SUV and the truck drivers both got transported to the hospital by ambulance. I ws driven to the hospital by my spouce and the lady who was in front of me went in with her husband to get checked out. I'm a bit banged up but the doc gave me some Goooood pain drugs and I am gonna feel sore for a couple of days. I still plan on going into work as scheduled Sunday night but will be borrowing my lady's car until the insurance company gets mine replaced.
                              For those of you doing those long commutes, stay safe.

Steve
                              Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X