K9 Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K9 Units

I have to give a presentation to the administration of my hospital in a week and a half, so I'm wondering if any hospitals not already on my list of 30 have their own k9 units. Thanks!
    Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

take my advice... HCMC won't go for it, but good luck
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

What gives you that impression?

Comment

Originally posted by davis002
        take my advice... HCMC won't go for it, but good luck
        What gives you that impression?

Comment

Why would a hospital need a K-9? Other than for bomb threats, I can't think of other practical purposes.
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
            Why would a hospital need a K-9? Other than for bomb threats, I can't think of other practical purposes.

Of the 30 hospitals I've interviewed, they're used for explosives detection, firearm detection, visual deterance, crowd control, building/area search, public relations (demo's, national night out, safety fairs, etc..), and pet therapy.
            Last edited by sgtnewby; 08-06-2006, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sgtnewby
              Of the 30 hospitals I've interviewed, they're used for explosives detection, firearm detection, visual deterance, crowd control, building/area search, public relations (demo's, national night out, safety fairs), and pet theropy.
              Granted, there are some excellent uses mentioned in your post. However, weapons detection can be handled using security towers, visual deterrence is a function that should already be performed by the presence of uniformed officers, and pet therapy can be provided by several animals, thereby benefiting more patients w/o the expense of a trained K-9 and handler.

Just curious: Regarding the 30 hospitals, are you saying they all have a K-9? If not, how many out of the thirty?

Comment

Granted, there are some excellent uses mentioned in your post. However, weapons detection can be handled using security towers, visual deterrence is a function that should already be performed by the presence of uniformed officers, and pet therapy can be provided by several animals, thereby benefiting more patients w/o the expense of a trained K-9 and handler.

Just curious: Regarding the 30 hospitals, are you saying they all have a K-9? If not, how many out of the thirty?
                When you mention "security towers," do you mean metal detectors? If so, the problem we run into with our facility is the large number of entrences we have vs. the number of officers. We have almost as many officers as we have common entrences. And people are not as detered by uniformed officers as you may think.

I have interviewed 30 hospitals that have their own k9 units. 15 months ago when I started researching this, I only knew about 5 of them. I just found the 3 in Utah and the 2 in Delaware last week. So the more I research this, the more I find. It's more common then people think. The number of hospitals in each state with k9's that I have found are listed below.

5 in Michigan
                12 in Arizona
                5 in California
                3 in Utah
                2 in Delaware
                1 in Colorado
                1 in Oklahoma
                1 in Maryland
                Last edited by sgtnewby; 08-06-2006, 04:57 PM.

Comment

When you mention "security towers," do you mean metal detectors? If so, the problem we run into with our facility is the large number of entrences we have vs. the number of officers. We have almost as many officers as we have common entrences. And people are not as detered by uniformed officers as you may think.

I have interviewed 30 hospitals that have their own k9 units. 15 months ago when I started researching this, I only knew about 5 of them. I just found the 3 in Utah and the 2 in Delaware last week. So the more I research this, the more I find. It's more common then people think. The number of hospitals in each state with k9's that I have found are listed below.

5 in Michigan
                  12 in Arizona
                  5 in California
                  3 in Utah
                  2 in Delaware
                  1 in Colorado
                  1 in Oklahoma
                  1 in Maryland
                  That's impressive. I think you're converting me. If you can respond to questions as you have thus far, your presentation should be a success. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Comment

I have to give a presentation to the administration of my hospital in a week and a half, so I'm wondering if any hospitals not already on my list of 30 have their own k9 units. Thanks!
                    How about you post the list so we can actually answer your question.

Comment

That's impressive. I think you're converting me. If you can respond to questions as you have thus far, your presentation should be a success. Keep us posted on how it goes.

I absolutely will keep ya posted!

Comment

5 in Michigan Total: 11 k9 units
                        12 in Arizona Total: 33 k9 units
                        5 in California Total: 15 k9 units
                        3 in Utah Total: 6 k9 units
                        2 in Delaware Total: 2 + adding 1 k9 units
                        1 in Colorado Total: 1 k9 unit
                        1 in Oklahoma Total: 2 k9 units
                        1 in Maryland Total: 5 + adding up to 2 more k9 units

As a side note, these are not hospitals, but spots you wouldn't think security would have their own k9's; The Mall of America Security and Disney World Security.

Comment

5 in Michigan Total: 11 k9 units
                          12 in Arizona Total: 33 k9 units
                          5 in California Total: 15 k9 units
                          3 in Utah Total: 6 k9 units
                          2 in Delaware Total: 2 + adding 1 k9 units
                          1 in Colorado Total: 1 k9 unit
                          1 in Oklahoma Total: 2 k9 units
                          1 in Maryland Total: 5 + adding up to 2 more k9 units

As a side note, these are not hospitals, but spots you wouldn't think security would have their own k9's; The Mall of America Security and Disney World Security.
                          Are you actually going to tell your audience the names and locations of the facilities you're talking about here?

Saying there's 6 K-9 units in the state of Utah isn't going to be all that convincing. Also, you should stick to just healthcare facilities. I doubt hospital administrators in WI are going to care very much about whether or not Disneyworld has K-9s or not.

Comment

Definately keep us posted as to your results. Thats a topic I will be hitting this fall for our malls!!
                            Deputy Sheriff

Comment

D:
                              You might be one step ahead of me but have contacted the United States Police K-9 Association? They are a real source of solid information. They can also tell you what vets in your area are most intune with Patrol Dogs. You might find a vet or two who are special deputy sheriffs. They went through the whole nine yards. Some of them have even worked at the DOD Dog Center at Lackland AFB, TX.
                              Enjoy the day,
                              Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X