No announcement yet.

Internal Affairs Investigators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the problems in contract security is if a worker is accused of something, the client may decide to take matters into their own hands and go, "I want him fired. If he's not fired, we drop the account."

Its usually a baseless threat, since it should be "We won't renew," unless the guard services company was stupid enough to put a provision that the client can drop for no reason and failed to explicitly state that the security company has complete supervisory and operational control of its employees.

So, now, the investigation is pointless as far as immediacy. Most of these clients will then refuse to cooperate with any company investigation, saying, "The f- guy is gone, get back to work and don't make a case about it. Where's our new guard?"
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

That is a problem I foudn once in my life in another employer. As for now, I am fortunate enough with the corporations I am with, that its based on a connectivity nation wide and the client can not have anyone removed for any reason, as the local client has to follow contract. These set ups are the best, even though a person may get the feeling of being lost in such a large operation.

It is interesting and similiar to the military, in that when I am at work, the next highest ranking person I answer to is in Florida. But when I attended the national meet, I was one of many, and there were alot bigger sharks above me. The corporate world is wild!
      Deputy Sheriff

Comment

I suppose since I started this thread I should talk about our ops a bit.

When I was site lead for the old contract company any complaints against a contract officer were looked into by me to determine, as far as possible, the facts. Afterwards a decision would be made, based upon the information available, on what action - if any - would be taken.

With in-house - complaints are handled by the Shift Supervisor, or at his/her direction, the shift lead officers. Any action is dependent on the information ascertained in this "investigation". There are times the Director may instruct an investigation be conducted by the department Operations Officer, but this is fairly rare.

Also, the department reserves the right to have any contract officer removed from the site - at our discretion. This is not normally done unless the officer is not meeting standards.
        "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

In my humble opinion, I think security companies should have at least

have one individual that handles internal issues of officer integrity. If an

actual "Internal Affairs" position was not feasible because of finances or

other reasons, then these responsibilities should at least be "assigned" to the

most willing, able, and trustworthy officer in each case or incident.
          "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
          - Thomas Jefferson

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.”
          — Vince Lombardi

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

IX. Strive to attain professional competence.

Comment

Whatever person(s) hold responsibility (whether in a supervisory role or as an IA officer/manager/whatever) should also have had some training in conducting internal investigations to insure fairness to everyone.

I have seen some where the slant of the "investigation" was decided before it was ever started.
            "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X