Takedown Methods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takedown Methods

I am familiar with some very basic methods for getting a resistant suspect on the ground. Still, when a suspect outweighs you by 50-75 LBS and is a foot taller than you, I wonder if they really work. What has been your experience?

PS - I'm not interested in methods that are designed to injure or hurt a suspect.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

From a Defensive Tactics/Arrest & Control Instructor, yes the techniques work on someone heavier and taller than you IF properly applied.

As a caveat, not all holds work on all people. So if the first takedown technique you tried failed, try another one. I have seen many people keep applying the same hold even after it failed for the fifth time

Anytime you take someone down to the ground there is a potential for injury. Even when I have been brought down on a mat during training exercises while wearing protective gear, I have a bruise or two by the end of the day. This is why every law enforcement agency that I know of places takedown techniques on the upper end of the "controlling force" category on the Use of Force continuum. So you can only take the suspect down to the ground if he is physically resisting you such as pulling away, raising his fists, taking a fighting stance, and so forth. More than passive resistance, but something less than trying to cause you an injury.

Comment

So far so good. We have a few different combined techniques we use, LE training and military training. All of it revolves around PPCT though. The occassions where we have had to bring it to the floor, our subjects have not been injured in any serious manner.

Now, unless you count me tripping on a tennis shoe that came off of a subject when we were combatting his agression, even our staff hasnt suffered any serious injuries. Whats interesting, is that I constantly worry about the hard tile floors, and the concrete we have outside, in the effects of more severe injuries, but knock on wood, we havent had any issues. Very surprising!
      Deputy Sheriff

Comment

well since your asked lol

Mr Security, Please Pm me and I will be happy to provide you with some takedowns we use well physically directing the subject to the ground

stay safe
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Defensive tactics
          Mr Security, Please Pm me and I will be happy to provide you with some takedowns we use well physically directing the subject to the ground

stay safe
          Ben
          Thanks Ben. I appreciate the offer. For now, I'm more interested in whether the minimum force methods actually work rather than learning how to perform them. Based on your answer and the other posts, they do. Still, I'm glad I haven't had to try any against some of the "Goliaths" that are out there. I give you credit for taking on such challenging posts.

Comment

Mr Security, while in corrections, I was taught many pain compliance methods for takedowns, and yes they are effective on even the largest indiviuals. I have oersonally witnessed a female officer who was less than five feet tall and very small in structure take a 6 ft 6 in 300 lb convict to the ground using this tactic and she was never not in control of the inmate.
            Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff194307
              Mr Security, while in corrections, I was taught many pain compliance methods for takedowns, and yes they are effective on even the largest indiviuals. I have oersonally witnessed a female officer who was less than five feet tall and very small in structure take a 6 ft 6 in 300 lb convict to the ground using this tactic and she was never not in control of the inmate.
              Too bad that one is not on tape.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X