Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had a heart attack Friday, and is now diabetic...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The passenger elevator as well as the 2 service elevators are out of order and have been for months; nevermind me, there's another officer that works the site as well and he's in his 80's

Cameraman, thanks for the tips! Although I can't see eating five times a day (I'm either sleeping or working), I do whenever I can, I've learned to like broccoli crowns and cauliflower with ranch dressing, and salmon and tilapia filets grilled with rice, and caesar salads. I also discovered that even when I do eat a "meal", I'm hungry again in a few hours...

Funny thing is, I had my "cardiac Episode" during dinner (chicken parmesan over spaghetti), which the Missus had cooked; she has since sworn off cooking anything...

At least the insulin needles have gotten smaller in the past 35 years, but once my dial a dose novolog pens run out ($$$), I have to use old fashioned vial and syringe...
    “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
    "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

I've also noticed my eyesight has been going wonky lately, particularly since I've been on the meds this past week; I've been using reading glasses for close up or small text and everything else near or far has been fine. now I have to wear my glasses even to see the TV screen 6 feet away clearly...

I don't normally wear glasses, and i've noticed this is somewhat disconcerting particularly while i'm driving. For instance, the numbers on a height warning sign for an overpass don't appear clear to me until I'm right on top of it...

My eyes (and the rest of me) are almost 48 years old, so I expect some breakdown of the original parts, but I'm thinking now that full time glasses are in order, I'm equally concerned about the cost. with my ER and extended hospital stay, I'm already realistically looking at $40K in hospital bills for just one week... Haven't seen the actual numbers yet, but seeing as I needed a hospital financial assistant worker, I must not be far off...
      “Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left”
      "I swear to God, I'm going to pistol whip the next guy that says 'Shenanigans' "... Capt. O'Hagan, "Super Troopers"

Comment

Originally posted by CameraMan View Post
        Hey, you gave the Angel of Death the finger! High five.

I had a medical issue in January that sent me to the doctor for the first time in six years. He informed me that I was a fat ass and could expect to die soon if I didn't give up my fat ass ways. Being from a family of fat asses who tend to die young, I decided to try diet and exercise.

The first time I tried to do my weekly shopping, it took almost three hours. So, yes, I can just see you in a grocery store aisle trying to understand the difference between the fourteen thousand different panko crumbs and which ones will kill you.

Here's what I did:

1) Don't eat anything if there's anything in the ingredients list you can't pronounce, or anything that has more than three syllables, or anything that lists dextrose, or sucrose, or cellulose, or any other corn derived chemical compound.

2) Don't eat anything that lists sugar as one of the first three ingredients.

3) Don't eat anything that lists corn syrup as an ingredient.

4) There, that should eliminate about 80% of the things in your average grocery store.

5) Your meals should be three quarters plants and one quarter things that are not plants, or things that used to be plants but are no longer recognizable as such- panko crumbs, for example.

6) The other one quarter should be mostly lean proteins. Non fatty fish. Skinless chicken breast. Bison meat if you can get it. If you can find grass fed beef (probably easier in Vermont, just find a hippy and ask him where he buys his steak), buy it over corn fed. It'll be tastier and much healthier, plus the price will force you to eat much less.

7) In general, the protein in a given meal should be about the size and thickness of a pack of playing cards. This is probably the thing it took me longest to adjust to, I used to go to delis and order a hot dog so I could have something to eat while ordering dinner.

8) Buy a rice cooker. Not only can you steam veggies in here with a little salt, pepper, and lemon juice, but the part of your meal that isn't plants and isn't protein can be brown rice. Mix it up with a little salt, a little black pepper, some olive oil, and lemon juice- delicious.

9) Cut out all soda, all sugared drinks in general. Carry a water bottle everywhere you go, and sip constantly.

10) Eat 5 small meals a day, so you aren't hungry.

Hope this helps! I've lost two pants sizes since January, and my sugar levels are rock solid- I don't do the grumpy then cranky then sleepy then sick feeling when I don't eat lunch exactly on schedule anymore.
        Don't forget the hidden sugars. Carbohydrates turn into sugar. Almost any white food is a carb. Rice, bread, sugar etc. When I was diagnosed as a diabetic I was told that I had to keep my carbs below 60 grams per meal. And the more fibre something has it cancels out some of the carbs. Read labels.
        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by flashlightcop509 View Post
          Cameraman, thanks for the tips! Although I can't see eating five times a day (I'm either sleeping or working), I do whenever I can, I've learned to like broccoli crowns and cauliflower with ranch dressing, and salmon and tilapia filets grilled with rice, and caesar salads. I also discovered that even when I do eat a "meal", I'm hungry again in a few hours...
          Well, don't sit down to Thanksgiving dinner every four hours. Eat just enough that you don't feel hungry anymore, but not so much that you feel "full". Like a large snack. Since your brain knows it's going to eat again soon in a few hours, it won't rebel over not getting as much food as it thinks it wants. Like eating a snack when dinner isn't for a few hours.

Eating shouldn't take much longer than a cigarette break, otherwise you're eating too much.

Are you working out? If not, are you in any shape to start?
          The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

Camerman, I laughed hard as **** at your post. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by capurato View Post
              Camerman, I laughed hard as **** at your post. The end.
              I live to serve.
              The CCTV Blog.

"Expert" is something like "leader". It's not a title that you can ever claim for yourself no matter what you might know or might have done. It's a title that others bestow on you based on their assessment of what you know and what you have done.

-SecTrainer

Comment

I've also noticed my eyesight has been going wonky lately, particularly since I've been on the meds this past week; I've been using reading glasses for close up or small text and everything else near or far has been fine. now I have to wear my glasses even to see the TV screen 6 feet away clearly...

I don't normally wear glasses, and i've noticed this is somewhat disconcerting particularly while i'm driving. For instance, the numbers on a height warning sign for an overpass don't appear clear to me until I'm right on top of it...

My eyes (and the rest of me) are almost 48 years old, so I expect some breakdown of the original parts, but I'm thinking now that full time glasses are in order, I'm equally concerned about the cost. with my ER and extended hospital stay, I'm already realistically looking at $40K in hospital bills for just one week... Haven't seen the actual numbers yet, but seeing as I needed a hospital financial assistant worker, I must not be far off...
                Flashlightcop. I do not mean to scare you but get yourself to an eye doctor right away. Diabetic Rentnopathy can comeon quickly. There are treatments (lazer). But you must be seen soon. I talk from experience. I had to give up my driver's licence a few years ago due to it. Good luck.
                I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

You know what's cool about this forum? The Good things you all have to say about Flashlight Cop
                  From Camerman in Baltimore to HS in Montreal. Darn good people
                  http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Yup, my life sucks, but thanks to the missus I'm still alive...

Got 3 stents put in on Sun, went home on Tues, whole new thing I gotta get used to now... Sux...

Take care of yourself dude! Kudos to your wife for saving your life. That rhymes doesn't it? Feel free to use it when you write your thankyou card to her.

Any day I wake up and I am still vertical is a good day.
                    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X