Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Student protests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Student protests

    I do not know if it is making the news down in the US but Quebec university & college students have been boycotting classes for 3 months now. They hold daily demonstrations. They are becoming more & more violent.

    University students in Quebec pay the lowest tuition anywhere in North America. The taxpayers pay 85% of the costs. The government decided that they need to raise the oart oaid by the students. They are increasing the fees $365 per year for the next 5 years. The fees paid by the students will still be the lowest anywhere.

    The students are boycotting classes. (They call it a strike). They march all through the downtown area day after day.Anarchists are getting involved & the protests are becoming violent.

    Last night between 5000 & 7000 marched past the hotel where I was working alone. They are targeting businesses & government institutions. The Loto Quebec building is next door to the hotel. We were lucky last night. 6 blocks past the hotel they began smashing windows.

    The police broke them up into groups. About an hour later a group of about 1000 come back in front of the hotel going the other way. The Maintenance man & I are in front, mostly to make sure no drunk guest provokes aby of them. Just as they get in front the police in full riot gear charge them. A gang rushes into the hotel to get away. The Maintenance man & I almost get knocked over. I did manage to nail a protester with my elbow. They left when the police moved on.

    When they passed the 1st time a police officer on bicycle was ahead of them warning businessed to lock our doors. I told them being an hotel we do not have locks on our doors. He said "good luck" and peddled off
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

  • #2
    I'm glad you're okay all things considering. I sent you a PM.
    sigpic

    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil" - Doug Patton

    Comment


    • #3
      HS:

      What are your views of these Students.??$385 a year you say your government is asking these students to
      pay for college. That breaks down to $7.00 a week. Betcha they spent that much on weekends and Molson beer

      My property taxes shot up $300 last year, for a damn High School we do not need
      My wife and I did not smash windows, riot in the streets, or go on strike
      We paid the damn taxes

      These spoiled brats want to cut classe. No problem. Your kicked out of college. Go work at McDonalds
      Riot in the streets. I'd allow the Montreal Poilice full powers they need to clear the streets
      If means craking open heads of a few idiots who are deystroying property so be it
      Others who riot. Lock them. A year in jail. maybe a few years
      http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by copelandamuffy View Post
        HS:

        What are your views of these Students.??$385 a year you say your government is asking these students to
        pay for college. That breaks down to $7.00 a week. Betcha they spent that much on weekends and Molson beer

        My property taxes shot up $300 last year, for a damn High School we do not need
        My wife and I did not smash windows, riot in the streets, or go on strike
        We paid the damn taxes

        These spoiled brats want to cut classe. No problem. Your kicked out of college. Go work at McDonalds
        Riot in the streets. I'd allow the Montreal Poilice full powers they need to clear the streets
        If means craking open heads of a few idiots who are deystroying property so be it
        Others who riot. Lock them. A year in jail. maybe a few years
        Cope, you are not going to believe this. I agree with you 100%. OMG I'm becoming conservative in my old age

        The police have been deploying the riots squads regularily. The problem is these demonstrations have been going on for 3 months. They start as early as 6 in the morning & go on until after midnight. The police are burned out. The overtime costs are getting very high.

        If anyone is interested news of these protests can be seen at: http://montreal.ctv.ca/. They will continue.
        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

        Comment


        • #5
          I heard about it, they should be booted out of college immediately. and yes they need to put an end to the protests.

          But, just because your a hotel doesn't mean you don't have locks (is this a Canada thing?). The Holiday Inn that I worked at in 1992 during the riots here had locks. We also brought in extra help and were asked to stay art the hotel during off hours. One other thing we did is give rooms to police officers free of charge during the course of the riot. Later we did the same for some of the National Guard members that were there.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by TOII View Post
            I heard about it, they should be booted out of college immediately. and yes they need to put an end to the protests.

            But, just because your a hotel doesn't mean you don't have locks (is this a Canada thing?). The Holiday Inn that I worked at in 1992 during the riots here had locks. We also brought in extra help and were asked to stay art the hotel during off hours. One other thing we did is give rooms to police officers free of charge during the course of the riot. Later we did the same for some of the National Guard members that were there.
            This is a good idea


            Hotel Security this cannot continue. You’re allowing 1,000 goons, anarchist, and thugs to dictate the lives of one million residents of Montreal. And HS my wife and I have visited your city. Very beautiful

            The Mayor of your city, the Prime Minister of Quebec, and the Prime Minister of Canada need to act now, not later.

            I can tell you if this occurred in Boston. Number one if I the Mayor agreed allow the Boston police whatever to nip this. I think you know what my whatever would be. Smash a store front window, your tased, knocked down, and dragged to a police van. Toss you in jail and you wait for your day in court. Boston Police need assistance. Back ups from Quincy, Cambridge, Brockton police
            Need more assistance. Bring in the State police. Need even more assistance. Bring in the Massachusetts State Police. Add a few
            Snarling dogs would help

            And HS cracked heads if these idiots to not cooperate
            As above tackle these a-holes and toss them in a dark hole and
            let them rot
            You cannot allow this to go on and on. Your city will go broke
            Conventions will disappear. I will be honest we would not visit Montreal until this is cleared up

            And if your found guilty of rioting. 10 year in jail. No time off for good behavior
            Make an example of these people

            Do you know one of the definitions of a Conservative?
            It is a Liberal who believes we need to be gentle and compassionate, and show love to criminals, anarchists, until his daughter is raped

            Good luck HS
            Last edited by copelandamuffy; 04-26-2012, 08:17 PM.
            http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by copelandamuffy View Post
              This is a good idea


              Hotel Security this cannot continue. You’re allowing 1,000 goons, anarchist, and thugs to dictate the lives of one million residents of Montreal. And HS my wife and I have visited your city. Very beautiful

              The Mayor of your city, the Prime Minister of Quebec, and the Prime Minister of Canada need to act now, not later.

              I can tell you if this occurred in Boston. Number one if I the Mayor agreed allow the Boston police whatever to nip this. I think you know what my whatever would be. Smash a store front window, your tased, knocked down, and dragged to a police van. Toss you in jail and you wait for your day in court. Boston Police need assistance. Back ups from Quincy, Cambridge, Brockton police
              Need more assistance. Bring in the State police. Need even more assistance. Bring in the Massachusetts State Police. Add a few
              Snarling dogs would help

              And HS cracked heads if these idiots to not cooperate
              As above tackle these a-holes and toss them in a dark hole and
              let them rot
              You cannot allow this to go on and on. Your city will go broke
              Conventions will disappear. I will be honest we would not visit Montreal until this is cleared up

              And if your found guilty of rioting. 10 year in jail. No time off for good behavior
              Make an example of these people

              Do you know one of the definitions of a Conservative?
              It is a Liberal who believes we need to be gentle and compassionate, and show love to criminals, anarchists, until his daughter is raped

              Good luck HS
              It's 00h30. They have been marching all around the downtown area since 20h30. It's been raining all night but still there are about 2000. I agree that they should all be arrested but realistically how do you arrest 2000 people, where do you house them, feed them etc & how many judges & lawyers would be tied up for years in trials?

              The demonstration tonight was delared illegal 5 minuutes after it started when things were thrown at the police. Arrests are made when criminal acts occur but even with the 4 Montreal riots squad group & the 2 Surete du Quebec groups there are not enough police to arrest thousands of people.
              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't have an answer what to do with 2,000 people. YOU CANNOT ALLOW THIS TO GO ON AND ON
                I am sure your Mayor is fed up, and disgusted. A vast majority of the residents of Montreal are disgusted by this
                You could bring in police from Toronto to Calagry, and maybe their presence will be felt
                You may want to punish the worse or the worse to the full extent of the law
                The ring leader. The leading goon. Lock him or her up for 20 years

                HS: What's your suggestion?
                http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

                Comment


                • #9
                  HS: The real problem with these students in Montreal, Boston, Phoenix is the word ENTITLEMENT. We are entitled to free education, free housing on campus, free food. How dare you ask us to pay $300 over the course of the next 12 months. We will burn Montreal and Phoenix to the ground. If the Montreal and Phoenix police drag us off the streets we are rioting in we will scream police brutality. How come HS we never hear about Student brutality against the common man and woman? Women working in Corporate Offices in downtown Boston were screamed obscenities of whore, and the “C” word toward women by the Occupy Boston thughs
                  Oh how silly of me HS, these fine Occupy Phoenix and Occupy Boston come with love and peace.

                  I am getting off track HS but deep in the bowels of the Occupy crowd they advocate assignation, and have rape camps

                  Oh yes less I forget. These goons in Montreal who refuse to pay the extra $375?
                  And expect the citizens of Quebec to pick up the tab

                  Margret Thatcher said it best. “The problem with Socialism is eventually you run out of other people’s money” At which point HS the goons in Montreal start eating each other
                  http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    what to do with 2,000 arrestees...put them in a camp like they do in Phoenix and hold them till the riots are over or they are tried whichever comes first. Bring in judges and lawyers from all over Canada to speed it up. While were at it, bring in RCMPD and other officers from around the country. 2,000 can be dealt with. Just stay safe, you cant help others if you can't protect yourself.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      [QUOTE=TOII;133637]what to do with 2,000 arrestees...put them in a camp like they do in Phoenix and hold them till the riots are over or they are tried whichever comes first. Bring in judges and lawyers from all over Canada to speed it up. While were at it, bring in RCMPD and other officers from around the country. 2,000 can be dealt with. Just stay safe, you cant help others if you can't protect yourself.[/QUOTE}


                      Excellent. Harsh fines. Stiff jail sentances. 5 year locked up
                      http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The problem about bringing in police, judges & lawyers fromacross Canada is that in Canada you have the right of a trial in either of the 2 offical languages. 90% of the protesters are French speaking. 95% of the police, judges & lawyers outside of Quebec don't speak French.
                        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          3rd nights of the night time protested tonight. Started at 20h30. Ended just after 1. At the height over 7000 marhers today. A few arrests made for vandalism. (1 or 2 windows of businesses). They went on the streets behind my hotel tonight.

                          The police are working extremely long hours but I heard something near the end of the protest tonight that shows they can still have a sense of humour. An Officer reports that an egg has been thrown & hit one of them. He then goes on the say that the Officer is ok, but the egg was totaled! The supervisor then says "I know it came from a chicken, but did anyone see who threw it?"
                          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                            The problem about bringing in police, judges & lawyers fromacross Canada is that in Canada you have the right of a trial in either of the 2 offical languages. 90% of the protesters are French speaking. 95% of the police, judges & lawyers outside of Quebec don't speak French.
                            I understand the dilemma...Still not a problem as far as police go...only the judges and the lawyers...That is when you get interpreters.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              HS, our nations' legal systems and natures are so different (especially in my little corner of the US), I don't know what to tell ya that'd be useful to you. I know what would happen here (my immediate thought was to address these "protests" like we did the LA riots in '92...), but that certainly doesn't apply in Montreal, Quebec, or even in Canada.

                              All I know for sure is that I'm glad you're safe and well... at least at the time of your last post.

                              Turtle-up and keep your doors shut tight, Bud.
                              "I'll defend with my life your right to disagree with me" - anonymous

                              Comment

                              300x250

                              Collapse

                              Mid 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Super Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X