Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Caesar
    replied
    I read on the New york State police website that their academy is almost 1100 hours long. Ouch,, probably only half of that is the minimum mandate. We do that here, The academy I went to was 700+ hours becaus the academy added a "Police Officer's Survival Course" at the end of it, but it's not mandated by TCLEOSE.

Leave a comment:

• Jackhole
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Caesar
    How long is the peace officer course vs the police officer course. 545 hours (what the Cornell officers have to take) seems awefully long for someone who dosn't have full police powers.
    Most police academies are running about 6 months now in NY. 545 hours is an awfully long time for someone without full police powers. However, Cornell will never have police officers because they're not a local or state police agency. It's a private college.
    Edit: State of New york only requires 510 hours for Police Here, and these guys are offering a 120 hours peace officer course Here.
    Last I'd heard it was 800 hours, but if DCJS says 510, it must be 510. I'll take their word on it, since they're the ones deciding what's taught in the classes.
    Now I'm really confused. It's so much easier in Texas (everyone is a peace officer regardless of title or where you work, everyone takes the same minimu 615 hour academy).
    It wouldn't be New York unless we made it 10 times more difficult to understand or do than it actually should be. I can't wait to get out of this God-forsaken state.

Leave a comment:

• Black Caesar
    replied
    Originally posted by Jackhole
    Oneonta and Binghamton are state-sworn police officers employed by the SUNY system to protect their respective campuses. Cornell Officers are armed peace officers.
    How long is the peace officer course vs the police officer course. 545 hours (what the Cornell officers have to take) seems awefully long for someone who dosn't have full police powers.

Edit: State of New york only requires 510 hours for Police Here, and these guys are offering a 120 hours peace officer course Here.

Now I'm really confused. It's so much easier in Texas (everyone is a peace officer regardless of title or where you work, everyone takes the same minimu 615 hour academy).
    Last edited by Black Caesar; 08-12-2006, 07:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jackhole
    replied
    Originally posted by histfan71
    On another law enforcement forum I am a member of there is a BIG thread on the difference between a Peace Officer and a Police Officer in New York State. From what I read on that thread the training difference is huge:

Peace Officer = 40 hours of training, an additional 24 hours of training to carry a firearm, for a total of 64 hours (just like California )

Police Officer = Over 700 hours of academy training
    I'm not sure if they gave you old info or you just misunderstood, but the peace officer course is 35 hours, with an additional 47 hours for firearms. Now, no agency is going to send out a peace officer with this little bit of training. There's additional courses most agencies require: V&T Law, SFST/Datamaster Operation, PR-24/ASP Baton, Handcuffing & DT, OC Spray. Now you're up in hours, but still not close to the 800 hours of Police Officer training.

Other than the difference in hours, the only difference between peace officers and police officers is that peace officers can't arrest on warrants and their powers are only good while working and only in their geographical area of patrol.

You have to remember that there aren't many patrolling peace officers around this state. I know of a few colleges that use them, I can think of 2 towns that use them for patrol purposes and Long Island has a bunch of Bay Constables that mostly enforce local fish & game and navigation law. That's it! We're talking about less than 1000 officers total used for patrol law enforcement. Every NYS Correctional Officer and Parole Officer is also a peace officer, but they're not being used for patrol like we're talking about here, in a collegiate setting.
    Last edited by Jackhole; 08-12-2006, 07:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jackhole
    replied
    Originally posted by GCMC Security
    From what I could observe when I was looking at some campus police depts, there are some that you can be hired on without an academy and they send you through. I imagine they have you either riding with another officer (paid observing??) or some type of adminstrative job until you finish the academy.
    You'd hope. In states like NY, as long as you're hired and sworn as a police officer, you can work up to 365 days before attending an academy. There are police officers in this state as we speak that are working alone that have not spent 1 single hour in an academy classroom.

Leave a comment:

• Jackhole
    replied
    Originally posted by BHR Lawson
    Don't Peace Officers in NY have to go through some sort of academy too though?
    Absolutely.

Leave a comment:

• Jackhole
    replied
    Aren't these guys peace officers, or police?

http://www.oneonta.edu/admin/police/

http://publicsafety.binghamton.edu/

http://www.cupolice.cornell.edu/

I heard there is a differance in NY, but I don't know the specfics.
    Oneonta and Binghamton are state-sworn police officers employed by the SUNY system to protect their respective campuses. Cornell Officers are armed peace officers.

Leave a comment:

• GCMC Security
    replied
    From what I could observe when I was looking at some campus police depts, there are some that you can be hired on without an academy and they send you through. I imagine they have you either riding with another officer (paid observing??) or some type of adminstrative job until you finish the academy.

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied
    Ah, I see. Thank you. I was always under the impression that they were the same thing with the same training, just you had a different title at different places. Like "Police Officer" and "Sheriff's Deputy" same training requirements, different names.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by BHR Lawson
    On another law enforcement forum I am a member of there is a BIG thread on the difference between a Peace Officer and a Police Officer in New York State. From what I read on that thread the training difference is huge:

Peace Officer = 40 hours of training, an additional 24 hours of training to carry a firearm, for a total of 64 hours (just like California )

Police Officer = Over 700 hours of academy training

Leave a comment:

• Lawson
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Black Caesar
    replied
    Originally posted by Jackhole
    Which colleges have you seen with peace officers?

Leave a comment:

• Jackhole
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lord of the Keys
    I've been trying to get into a college for Police or Security work here in NY. The State Colleges have a full Police Department as do some of the Private Colleges. I know the State Schools are Civil Service and require the Acedemy. Other Private Colleges have Peace Officers while some have Security and a few have a combination such as Ithaca College which has both a PD and Security Officers.
    Which colleges have you seen with peace officers?

Leave a comment:

• Squalie
    replied
    In NJ, you can not be a Police Officer on a college campus without having a valid Police Training Commission certificate. You can not be a Security Officer and carry a weapon on school grounds. Hence, if people want guns and arrest powers on campus, they will have to start a Police Department. My department is a hybrid, 56 sworn police, 46 non-sworn security.

I am also President of our states association for campus public safety and if anyone in our state was operating with shady training or standards, I would work with them to improve their situation as like anything else, a few bad apples spoil the bunch. Campus law Enforcement has made great strides in the past 20 years and you hate to see a couple of bad examples taking away from everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• The Lord of the Keys
    replied
    I've been trying to get into a college for Police or Security work here in NY. The State Colleges have a full Police Department as do some of the Private Colleges. I know the State Schools are Civil Service and require the Acedemy. Other Private Colleges have Peace Officers while some have Security and a few have a combination such as Ithaca College which has both a PD and Security Officers.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X