Client's employee gives me hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Client's employee gives me hell

Tonight, less than an hour and a half ago, a client's (a grocery store in a very tough neighbourhood) employee asked me go outside to drive some youths away from a cart corral (they were just hanging around it, playing on it as kids do, no violence whatsoever). I know these youths, they are probably the best-behaved kids (about 14 years) in the area. I was also less than 3 minutes from going off duty, as if that had anything to do with it.
    When I said that what goes on outside the store is not within my mandate (deterrence of theft, arrest as neccessary, and general security inside the store), he really let me have it, right out of the blue, in his best argumentative and condescending tone, at one point stepping within 1 foot of me.
    Going on and on about "What is your job? What do you do?" and "In 20 years I've seen the likes of you a thousand times" "Being a hero for the [baggers] front end staff, and writing in your little notebook."
    Needless to say, my boss heard about this scene almost immediately after I exited the area (going off duty), and I wrote a complete report on it as soon as I got home (only two minutes away), making it a pdf and emailing to the boss.

I can take grief from a worthless p-o-s all day long, but to take it from someone that, in a very real way, I work with every day, well that bothers the hell out of me. What if the mustard hits the fan and I need this guy for help? Will he give it?
    Yet another shred of the faith I have in people is dashed upon the rocks.

wjohnc
    every day is a lesson
    Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Wjohnc:
    You did the correct thing in that you followed your post orders and you documented what you did in response to the manager's harangue. One final look, who signs your paycheck?
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Comment

I had a store employee's relative get stupid with me so i told him to leave, later after the female employee found out, well she had a few chioce words for me,the next day she was fired!!!! I really do have a good support from the client...

Comment

Never believe that the client will assist you in a physical altercation. You are the only uniformed presence on post. The average person's mentality is either: 1) I'll be injured if I become in involved, 2) I'll get in trouble if I become involved, or when dealing with security personnel, 3) That stupid guard will get what's coming to him for playing cop.

So, to answer the question, "No, he won't come to your aid. None of them will." If they do come to your aid, they're proving the exception.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
          Never believe that the client will assist you in a physical altercation.
          I don't. Generally, even if I'm working with a partner my mind set is that I'm alone (thank you years of WBS)

That stupid guard will get what's coming to him for playing cop.
          I imagine that's his thinking now, for sure. Especially since I just heard he got his butt chewed by the client.

"No, he won't come to your aid. None of them will." If they do come to your aid, they're proving the exception.
          I never wanted, or prepared for, the 'help' of untrained, unprepared, and inexperienced persons, but it's nice to have the thought of backup, even if they only act as witnesses, in the back of your mind, you know?

This incident was the worst of its kind I've had in over 11 years, and as I said in my original post, "Yet another shred of the faith I have in people is dashed upon the rocks."

wjohnc
          sincerely thanking the member from Wisconsin for his straight talk, sage advice, and for reminding this member of a fundamental issue somewhat forgotten: "No, he won't come to your aid. None of them will."
          Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
          "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Comment

I forgot to amend that with "I am a cynical bastard."

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as the boss is satisfied with your performance at work, don't pay attention to the opinions of people who don't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
                I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as the boss is satisfied with your performance at work, don't pay attention to the opinions of people who don't matter.
                I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by wjohnc
                  Going on and on about "What is your job? What do you do?" and "In 20 years I've seen the likes of you a thousand times" "Being a hero for the [baggers] front end staff, and writing in your little notebook." Needless to say, my boss heard about this scene almost immediately after I exited the area (going off duty), and I wrote a complete report on it as soon as I got home (only two minutes away), making it a pdf and emailing to the boss.
                  Yet another shred of the faith I have in people is dashed upon the rocks.

wjohnc
                  every day is a lesson
                  You were just a lightning rod for some deep rooted animosity he admits to having with security over the years, as shown by his comments above in bold.
                  As long as your boss supports you, don't lose any sleep over it.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Welcome Friend, to our sector of Love! LOL! Its re-occuring and consistant. you are not alone when it comes to these issues.

After playing the game for so long, most of my responses are "If you wish to continue this type of behavior and deviate from your initial complaint with this innappropriateness, we can rectify this by taking further action!"

Another favorite response I have after being told " I am gonna sue you" or "you will hear from my attorney", is "Take a number and get comfy in line, its a long wait".

Even though we are supposed to be taken at our word, in these events where communication becomes hostile, it can be alot of "unfun". In a topic hit before the crash, we discussed audio recording for such instances. Fortunately because of state law here, only one party needs to give permission.

I dropped $300 last night in digital recorders, as I got tired of my people getting harrassed like the way you were, and then their barrments being quesitoned. Its a handy tool to consider!
                    Deputy Sheriff

Comment

I've run into this type of difficulty at the hospital more than I care to admit.

We recently had a hospital volunteer repeatedly step between a security officer and a disruptive patient and berate the officer. It amazed us all that this volunteer didn't understand to remove herself from the issue (which was absolutely no business of hers). Luckily the situation worked out without the use of force. There was a long talk with the volunteers supervisor for the hospital.

When these types of issues happen the best solution is to document the incident and immediately get supervisory personnel involved.

There will be hard feelings on someones part but that is never a reason to tolerate such interference, belittling, or down right harassment from other employess of the site.

You were doing your job, they should stick to theirs. Well done.
                      "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

One client that handles a lot of cash has an employee who is VERY big...6-5 and abot 280. I have had problems with him getting in the way.

He actually made the statement that someone with a knife doesn't scare him at all.

When asked had he EVER went up against someone with a knife he said no..when asked had he ever been stabbed he said no.

I told him I had on both counts, that it hurt, that I didn't want it to happen again and that if someone pulls a knife my gun is coming out and not to be in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by ACP01
                          One client that handles a lot of cash has an employee who is VERY big...6-5 and abot 280. I have had problems with him getting in the way.

He actually made the statement that someone with a knife doesn't scare him at all.

When asked had he EVER went up against someone with a knife he said no..when asked had he ever been stabbed he said no.

I told him I had on both counts, that it hurt, that I didn't want it to happen again and that if someone pulls a knife my gun is coming out and not to be in the way.
                          I wonder what he'd say if you reminded him that the knife-wielding subject's intentions might not be to scare him, but to stab him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                            I wonder what he'd say if you reminded him that the knife-wielding subject's intentions might not be to scare him, but to stab him.
                            Nothing, he's a sheep, not a sheepdog.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                              Nothing, he's a sheep, not a sheepdog.
                              Ok...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X