Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graffiti Issue, Ideas, help, suggestions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Mall Director
    I have bumped up the reward to my Officers, by giving whoever catches the culprit, gets 3 days paid off, free dinner of their choice, and awarded with recognition. So, any ideas will help them, as I will let them take credit for it, since they are the ones that are hitting it hard and deserve the benefits!
    I be on the next flight to your area. Just post me by the restrooms.

Leave a comment:

• Mall Director
    replied
    I may like the idea of defacing their tagging, but I am afraid if I do, I will only instigate them to either tag more or bring back issues I fought so hard against.

I have no problems really removing the tagging, I am just trying to stop the most of it, as this recent set of tagging is identical and consistant with repeatitive markings.

As for documentation, we are on top of it. Full page sized, high DPI digital photographing, reports, the whole thing. We use the same documentation process for top level criminal activities all the way down to the little issues.

I just really want to catch this guy(s) that are doing it, and/or stop it and bring things back down on this area of issues.

I have bumped up the reward to my Officers, by giving whoever catches the culprit, gets 3 days paid off, free dinner of their choice, and awarded with recognition. So, any ideas will help them, as I will let them take credit for it, since they are the ones that are hitting it hard and deserve the benefits!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    Lets assume this is a real gang, or a wannabe who can "speak the language." Have you tried defacing the tags and leaving them up for a bit so that the person can see the defacement?

Take a sharpie and draw a large X through the gang name tag. You are "dissing" the tagger and his gang by doing this. Make sure its not elaborate, so its obvious that its the authorities doing it.

Sounds like a good way to get shot.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Lets assume this is a real gang, or a wannabe who can "speak the language." Have you tried defacing the tags and leaving them up for a bit so that the person can see the defacement?

Take a sharpie and draw a large X through the gang name tag. You are "dissing" the tagger and his gang by doing this. Make sure its not elaborate, so its obvious that its the authorities doing it.

Also, as previously stated, take pictures of every instance of tagging and put them in the file. See how the tags evolve over time, if there are new ones, if the wannabe becomes real, etc. Have the gang unit look at them.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Yeah, the hardest part, is the grout in between the tiles, as we have tiled walls.

I am just fed up with it though. We have gotten a reputation for explelling gangs, and our Surenio's are the biggest problem around my area. There are so many, and of such a variety. We have been trying to get the message out that they are not welcome here. It has worked for the most part, but this little reminder that pops up is even making my superiors mad! LOL!
    If you do catch them, ask the prosecutor to recommend to the judge that the perpetrator work it off by scrubbing the restrooms clean at your mall. You can assign one of your officers to oversee the "chain gang."

Leave a comment:

• Mall Director
    replied
    Yeah, the hardest part, is the grout in between the tiles, as we have tiled walls.

I am just fed up with it though. We have gotten a reputation for explelling gangs, and our Surenio's are the biggest problem around my area. There are so many, and of such a variety. We have been trying to get the message out that they are not welcome here. It has worked for the most part, but this little reminder that pops up is even making my superiors mad! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    I wish it were spray, it would be easier to detect, but its our friend the "sharpie"!!! Arrr!
    You can remove permanent marker easily with a little isopropyl alcohol. Most paints are not harmed w/ it.

Leave a comment:

• Mall Director
    replied
    I wish it were spray, it would be easier to detect, but its our friend the "sharpie"!!! Arrr!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    If the graffiti is spray paint, consider installing detectors that sound an alarm when solvent fumes saturate the small airspace in the restroom. Industrial supply catalogs might have such devices.

Leave a comment:

• Mall Director
    replied
    Ohh, Definately! I agree, removing it ASAP will detour the results of the matter..

I do however, think with the suggestion of the camera's, perhaps can place them in the hallway outside the restroom, in a descrete fashion, and just monitor who goes in and out, and timeline with subjects, perhaps can get a clue as to who, because I am very sure it is the same person.

For fun, I may have to bring some pics and post it for informational purposes, of the taggings.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    ......I am tired of sending our janatorial staff in to clean it up.........
    One of the best ways of detering graffiti is to remove it immediately or ASAP, even if this means removing it on a daily basis.

My advice, continue to try and apprehend the offenders but keep on removing the graffiti.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    You can put cameras in washrooms outside the stalls & not pointed at the urinals in Canada

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Graffiti

Currently, we have an individual who is spraying graffiti on all the traffic signs in town. All efforts to apprehend this person(s) have been unsuccessful thus far. I have tried graffiti buster products on the signs, only to find out that it removes the red color on the stop signs, etc.

Laminating the stalls with a plastic film can make clean up a breeze. If that isn't practical, it may become a test of wills. Paint it over as soon as it happens with a fast drying paint. At best, this will discourage the little "punks." At worst, it will give you more opportunities to catch them in the act.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    We can easily tell it is gang, as the text of writing is old century script, wording "S.U.R. 13", meaning this is the standard tagging of this gang, the "Surenio's", also known as the "South Side" gang, originally derived from the eMe, or Old Mexican Cliche.
    You are partially right. There is no one specific gang called the "Surenos" or "Sur 13." "Sur" is Spanish for "south" and the numeral "13" is used by Hispanic street gangs to identify their gang's origins in Southern California. It is actually a little more complicated than that, but this information is as far as I am willing to go on a public, non-law-enforcement forum.

The Spanish word "Surenos" translates as "southerner" in English. So by writing "Sur 13" in your bathroom this "pendejo" (loser) is merely announcing his allegiance to Southern California, and is not trying to "claim" your mall as his gang's territory. In fact, I think the clown doing the graffiti is not a real gang banger at all; just a wanna-be copying things he has seen on TV or read about in low rider magazines, assuming he can read it at all and not just look at the pictures.

If the graffiti starts to have a specific gang name such as "Tortilla Flats, Arizona Maravillas, CV-70, 18th Street" and so forth along with a moniker such as "Mr. Trigger, Oso, Payaso, Lil Sneaky" and the like then you have a real gang problem. "Sur 13" by itself, not accompanied by a gang name and moniker, means nothing.

If you can catch the budding little tagger, by all means arrest him and turn him over to the police. The experience might just scare him away from joining a real gang.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Gang leaders have their underlings add certain "new" elements to their artwork as they try to spread their influence or sent specific messags to potential rivals or other gangs.
    It is essential for both law enforcement and security agencies to catalogue these postings and with the help of reformed members, decipher these scrawlings and take action as necessary.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X