Reporting other security officers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reporting other security officers

For those who aren't in a supervisory position or in a high-profile, high-risk security job locaton, do you feel like it is your responsibility to report those security guards who tend to break the rules and slack off while getting paid the same as yourself, who does the job right and is responsible.
    I tend to be a nice guy and turn the other cheek and keep in good relations with all my fellow security officers and many of them, though slackers are pretty nice people that I don't want to see getting in trouble, but now, I'm starting to get very ticked off and can't stand the fact that Officer "Bob" gets the same salary for reading a book all day or being late everyday while I'm up and active and maintaining a serious watch when I'm on my shift and always at work on time, but when our paychecks arrive, we both get the same pay. I am getting very unmotivated in my work.
    Okay, I could just as well drop to the slacker level myself and goof off, but I enjoy security work and take it seriously.
    Do I just suck it up, keep turning the other cheek, play buddy buddy with other officers and just do my job the way I like to do it or do I start being the company "tattletale" and start telling the head supervisors what is going on and how I feel and bring some responsibilty back to the security company? The way I see it is that when someone else, such as a client or outside person from the streets sees a security guard sleeping, not paying attention, etc they look at that as representing the whole security company and possibly the whole security profession itself and though there was just one or two irresponsible security officers, it could cost the security company many old and new clients and maybe my job.
    Unfortunately, the head supervisors are pretty clueless what the other officers may be doing wrong and being a more alert security officer and seeing what really goes out in the field, I believe I should ask, no demand, that I be put in a higher position and get a raise if they respect my responsibility and keep me as a dependable employee.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-14-2005, 11:41 PM.

You're right. Incompetent or lazy s/o's can jeprodize the account. If you have several working at the same account, then chances are your supervisor knows about it and is just ignoring it. No point in reporting them. If you have a supervisor who cares, just tell them that they may want to check on a certain post when you know the s/o is out of uniform, sleeping, or goofing off. Hopefully, the s/s is intelligent enough to keep you out of it.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Reporting Other Security Officers

Does management understand decorum of guard force members project the company?s or corporation?s image, good or bad? In other words, does this organization really care? If not, describe why it doesn?t. What improvements can or should be made?

Leadership, training and supervision do matter. Poor leadership accepts ?plausible deniability? as a reason; good leadership sees it for what it is, a flimsy excuse.

The appropriateness of the maxim should be noted: ?Kindness to the bad is cruelty to the good. Kindness to a bad employee does great injustice to those who are faithful and true.? Sparing the guilty punishes the innocent. And that misplaced sentiment may be the ultimate cruelty.

If the officer you are working with is slacking and you have to pull the extra weight, you might mention it to the officer that you don't appreciate him slacking and you have to do his work. He he doesn't take the hint or becomes combative, request a new work place. Depending upon the circumstances, you might ask management to assign you to a different shift. If enough officers request a transfer from a particular place or working with a certain individual, the light should finally come on it management's head. You have to make the decision, if this officer can in any shape or form place your life in danger, get out of the situation as soon as practical.
      Enjoy the day,
      Bill

Comment

Reporting Other Security Officers

I spent a good deal of time and effort in my federal government security career doing my best to rid the system of folks who had the attitude you espouse. It would appear you have never had your life on the line and depended upon your fellows to pull you and themselves to safety.
        Enjoy the day,
        Bill

Comment

I knew a guy like that. Client figured out his views, had him removed, he was terminated, went to another company, other company got the account he was removed from - he was reassigned there, and the client cancelled the contract because the other company sent someone who they'd removed for stupidity - completely endearing the client to the new company.

He's still working, probally, has an active security license in Florida. Just bounces from company to company, because there's always someone who will hire a warm body who can put on a uniform or reasonable parts of it, and sit there.

We had a placard on the guard shack at a rubber factory. The client even found it amusing, because it was true. We were not authorized to care.
          "Non Functioning Guard - For Insurance Purposes Only. Emergency - Dial 911"
          Last edited by N. A. Corbier; 10-16-2005, 08:33 PM.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

re

I don't care what they do, if it's not going to get me hurt or others I mind my own business, besides if I did snitch then we'd all be screwed anyway, if you got someone being a fool take them aside and let them know, they might straighten up or leave.. problem solved

Comment

Originally posted by davido
              I don't care what they do, if it's not going to get me hurt or others I mind my own business, besides if I did snitch then we'd all be screwed anyway, if you got someone being a fool take them aside and let them know, they might straighten up or leave.. problem solved
              That is, at least, doing something. Internal discipline. When it fails to work, then its time to go to your supervisor.

A reminder. As more and more companies expect more and more from their employees, they'll start asking (retorically) "Why didn't you tell us?" and then write "concealed information from supervisor" on the "why was this employee terminated with cause" form.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
                I really don't care. Unless it absolutely directly affects me (more than just annoying me), I probably won't do anything.

As long as the checks keep showing up, I generally don't care what goes on at work.
                Just as I thought..you just dont care

Fortunatley, my brother and sister Officers are not slackers and I have yet to encounter a circumstance of them being derelict in their duties. If the situation where to present itself I would issue a verbal warning to my fellow Officer, and let them know that if they did not correct the problem that I would advise the Supervisor.

I wouldn't just go about blurting behind everyones back....but if neccessary I would report.

Comment

Why would I? Most of the morons I work with have the same "there's a new sheriff in town" attitude you do.
                  Find a better class of morons?

Comment

I happened to have mentioned recently to my supervisor about a particular officer who is always late to work. Since I'm the one who he is relieving I have rhe right to complain.
                    My supervisor told me that they had trouble with this officer often and said that they don't see him on the job too much longer. Of course, the company needs officers real bad and aren't planning to fire anyone too fast until they get more dependable replacements. The trouble there also is the time it gets new people to get state guard licenses and then other officers quiting and they have to be replaced.

Good news is that I am getting a promotion and higher salary along with a couple other officers and will be of a higher rank than the officer in question who actually has been working for the company much longer than I have.
                    So though the company isn't real quick on firing the slackers, they do recognize and take care of the officers who do their jobs well.
                    The owner of the company said to me that the client I work security at said I was doing a very good job, which I suppose is a rare thing this client says about many other officers, so it feels good that I doing something right and being recognized for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Watchdog
                      I happened to have mentioned recently to my supervisor about a particular officer who is always late to work. Since I'm the one who he is relieving I have rhe right to complain.
                      My supervisor told me that they had trouble with this officer often and said that they don't see him on the job too much longer. Of course, the company needs officers real bad and aren't planning to fire anyone too fast until they get more dependable replacements. The trouble there also is the time it gets new people to get state guard licenses and then other officers quiting and they have to be replaced.

Good news is that I am getting a promotion and higher salary along with a couple other officers and will be of a higher rank than the officer in question who actually has been working for the company much longer than I have.
                      So though the company isn't real quick on firing the slackers, they do recognize and take care of the officers who do their jobs well.
                      The owner of the company said to me that the client I work security at said I was doing a very good job, which I suppose is a rare thing this client says about many other officers, so it feels good that I doing something right and being recognized for it.
                      I am reminded of "Rule One of Supervision." Do not fire someone unless you have a replacement available, unless your motivated (and able) to work that shift yourself.

I've seen guys get pissed off, immediately suspend someone and tell them to report to the office in the morning, then realize with dread that they're now going to have to work the guy's 12 hour shift - because they didn't bring anybody along to relieve the idiot. Thankfully, I learned through their example - and always brought along another employee when doing a post inspection, just in case.

Comment

Well if the officer is doing something that could cause harm to another officer or someone else then yes i will report them. Other wise if it is something such as being late i will adress them and say hey you are relieving me and i am always onto to relieve you so i appricate the same or something along those lines.
                        Robert
                        Here endith the lesson

Comment

Real professional of your supervisor to share with you that he'll be getting let go soon.
                          I kind of know what you're getting at, but it isn't like I am going to tell the guy he may be let go, plus there are a few of us officers who have a trusting relationship with the supervisors where we don't blab out what is said in the office between us.

Comment

When I was a supervisor at a previous job, I never would discuss personnel issues with other employees, it's just not professional and it's definately none of your business.
                            It is spelled out in my policy manual: Supervisors shall not discuss disciplinary actions against subordinates with other subordinates unless such discussion is part of an approved coaching, disciplinary, or training plan.

Supervisors should be using leadership principles to build cohesion and esprit de corps on their sites, their patrol groups, and their commands. Employees should be able to trust supervisors when they give them information it will not be abused. And supervisors should be able to trust that employees will report incidents and conditions that endanger EVERYONE's employment by losing accounts.

Does this mean that everyone should expect paper to be written for every informal counseling session? No. Sometimes, a slight reminder by a supervisor, or even another employee, that we all are a team, and dependent on each other's performance to keep the client happy, is enough.

That is something I cannot stress enough: Everyone is dependent on each other's performance to keep the client happy. If the client becomes unhappy, they may seek to break the contract, and then someone's getting fired, maybe an entire post of somebodies.

Comment

When I was a supervisor at a previous job, I never would discuss personnel issues with other employees, it's just not professional and it's definately none of your business.
                              I have to disagree that it is none of my business. If the security officer that is slacking off is causing me problems by being late to work, etc, then it IS MY business and if my supervisors wants to prevent me or other decent officers from getting fed up and walking out the door and quit, then they may just mention that people like him will get fired, so that we know the company will disclipline poor performing officers.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X