Waiting for backup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiting for backup?

The other night, we had a situation at my location. We had been informed by the shift supervisor not to let a specific van onto the property because it would probably contain a certain person who has been banned from the complex, and who had a fight the day before with our security staff.

Stopping the van, I refused to let it on to the property. The driver was a known associate of the banned person, not the owner of the van. The owner showed up and I still refused to allow the van onto the property.

They refused to move the van from in front of the gate. I called the Detroit PD (which has an office 3 blocks away) but did not really expect them to come asap. It usually takes them 3 hours or more to check out disturbances.

In the mean time, a crowd of the trouble makers friends began to gather and taunt us. (2 white security officers in a all black complex at midnight friday)
    and a second call to the DPD recieved a promise to try to speed up the response.

So, while I am trying to continue my duties, my un-armed partner is making frantic calls to his brother, (a salesman for the company and friend of my supervisor) (anyone see politics coming into play) and telling him and the owner of the company (who his brother is with)that we are surrounded by 20 rock throwing people posing a serious threat to our safety. (actually 6 teen boys, 1 girl, and 2 grandmothers) At one point he told me the owner of the company had told him that if the threat was that bad, that we should both abandon the post.

He has completely bypassed the chain of command, and is telling very exaggerated claims of our situation. Now, while I did not feel safe, I also did not feel in serious danger. The situation was volatile, but manageable as long as we did not escalate. (In my opinion) I had asked dispatch to send a supervisor.

My partner was near panic. He saw us as 2 white targets in the hood. He continued to contact his brother, each time exaggerating the situation more and more.

Finally the owner of the van removed her vehicle from the gate, and parked in front of the complex as I had asked them to do. Shortly there after, my supervisor showed up, and my partner informed her that he was going home, that $8.00 an hour was not worth his life.

What would you have done?

And the detroit Police Department never did show up.

Comment

Originally posted by kingsman
      The other night, we had a situation at my location. We had been informed by the shift supervisor not to let a specific van onto the property because it would probably contain a certain person who has been banned from the complex, and who had a fight the day before with our security staff.

Stopping the van, I refused to let it on to the property. The driver was a known associate of the banned person, not the owner of the van. The owner showed up and I still refused to allow the van onto the property.

They refused to move the van from in front of the gate. I called the Detroit PD (which has an office 3 blocks away) but did not really expect them to come asap. It usually takes them 3 hours or more to check out disturbances.

In the mean time, a crowd of the trouble makers friends began to gather and taunt us. (2 white security officers in a all black complex at midnight friday)
      and a second call to the DPD recieved a promise to try to speed up the response.

So, while I am trying to continue my duties, my un-armed partner is making frantic calls to his brother, (a salesman for the company and friend of my supervisor) (anyone see politics coming into play) and telling him and the owner of the company (who his brother is with)that we are surrounded by 20 rock throwing people posing a serious threat to our safety. (actually 6 teen boys, 1 girl, and 2 grandmothers) At one point he told me the owner of the company had told him that if the threat was that bad, that we should both abandon the post.

He has completely bypassed the chain of command, and is telling very exaggerated claims of our situation. Now, while I did not feel safe, I also did not feel in serious danger. The situation was volatile, but manageable as long as we did not escalate. (In my opinion) I had asked dispatch to send a supervisor.

My partner was near panic. He saw us as 2 white targets in the hood. He continued to contact his brother, each time exaggerating the situation more and more.

Finally the owner of the van removed her vehicle from the gate, and parked in front of the complex as I had asked them to do. Shortly there after, my supervisor showed up, and my partner informed her that he was going home, that $8.00 an hour was not worth his life.

What would you have done?
      I probably would have done as you did. You appearantly did your assignment as directed with a cool head. Your partner appears to be the cowardly type who panics at a pin drop and has very little street smarts. One thing I 'would do', and I assume you have, write up a "complete report" naming names and every action to include the unsavory actions of your former partner. Your the type SO I don't mind working with.

Oh, and PS. Altho I've never had a problem with police not showing up, I attempt to handle issues as if they won't be there when needed.

Comment

That's... brilliant. This guy, obviously, still has a job, yes?
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

What was your plan if things went south?
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

What about filing a complaint against the DPD for failure to respond?
            Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
              What about filing a complaint against the DPD for failure to respond?
              Because it would probably go down with all the other complaints DPD doesnt care about.
              "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Kingsman,

Was the banned person inside the van? If not, why did you not allow the van and driver (who was not the banned person) inside?

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71
                  Kingsman,

Was the banned person inside the van? If not, why did you not allow the van and driver (who was not the banned person) inside?
                  Good point, however, there may be a rule stating that the property of the banned person is not authorized on the property.

Keep in mind that if you allow the van on, then they have a legal reason to enter the property to recover their property.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

From this quote I gather that the banned person was neither the driver of the van nor the van's owner.

Comment

We had been informed by the shift supervisor not to let a specific van onto the property
                      Sounds pretty specific to me. I would be weary that the person may not be driving, but may still be hidden in the van.
                      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

If you're worried the banned person may have been hidden inside the van there are two things to do:

1. Ask the driver if the banned person is inside the van.
                        2. If you think the driver was untruthful, then search the van before you allow it to enter.

There is some missing information to this story. Kingman says the driver is a known associate of the banned person, but is the driver a resident of the complex? Kingman says he spoke with the van's owner, who is a resident, it appears. Did the van's owner say the driver was the owner's guest?

Either way it was not appropriate for Kingman to deny the van entry if the banned person was not inside the van. I think he handled the situation poorly and unnecessarily put himself and his partner in a bad situation. Kingman's supervisor is also partly to blame for giving such a bad order in the first place.

Comment

It sounds like the supervisor did not want the van on site either. You would be giving the owner good reason to come on site to collect his property. Although, if people began to pelt rocks at me, I might just let it go.
                          "The Curve" 1998

Comment

3 hour wait for police backup is "normal"? Maybe in the woods, but not in a major city. Do you pay taxes? I'd be at the next city council meeting screaming!!
                            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Yes, he was hiding in the van. The driver was the nephew of the owner of the van, and the owner of the van is a resident. But I was instructed NOT to let the van in. As the van is not registered on the property, I do not need to let it in for any reason. they have been trying to sneak him in various ways ever since he was evicted last month. his homeboys still reside on the property.

What right would I have to search the van? I am a security officer, not the police. I have no right to search private property.

My understanding is that my ex-partner no longer works for the company. His reaction was very confusing, because he had no problem getting in a rumble with the guy the previous night, and he has worked security for 13 years, as a bouncer in a bar and as a private guard for strippers. (at least thats what he said.)

I had only worked with him for a week as he was replacing a guard who was transfered.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X