joining a union

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joining a union

I am a reporter working on a story about the security industry. I would like to talk to some security guards about how you would feel about joining a union, like the Service Employees International Union, which is actively organizing security guards. Do you think a union will help raise pay and benefits for workers, for instance? Please feel free to email me back at [email protected]. Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you. Kris

Originally posted by careerguy2005
    I am a reporter working on a story about the security industry. I would like to talk to some security guards about how you would feel about joining a union, like the Service Employees International Union, which is actively organizing security guards. Do you think a union will help raise pay and benefits for workers, for instance? Please feel free to email me back at [email protected]. Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you. Kris
    I suggest googling for the "Department of Homeland Security Police Officer's Union," as they are asserting that under federal law, a security guard union can only consist of security guards. This means that employers do NOT have to deal with the SEIU, or Teamsters, or any other union that does not specifically represent security guards, and security guards only.

I have no problems with Unions, however, where I'm from, organizing a union is a good way to be blacklisted from every security company in the state (Florida.) I knew a few guys who were part of the "Florida Security Officer's Association." They wore FSOA collar brass, and were terminated for "improper uniform," every last one, every company that had them in 1995. I understood that they were blacklisted from working in security for daring to organize a union.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I was working security when I was living around Chicago and was required to join the SEIU union in order to have the job.

This is what they provided after taking a big chunk of a low wage security guard's paycheck.

1. No higher pay than any other non-union security guard company
      2. Medical benefits...AFTER ONE YEAR EMPLOYMENT
      3. No one representing the union ever came forward to us.
      4. No contracts ever handed to us or information about contract negotiations.
      5. If you were able to call and beg and insist to the hissy-fit associate of the union for a copy of a contract, the one they send you has nothing to do with the company and area you are working in. The contract I was given actually had shown a lesser wage than I was making.

Can you say corrupt union?

Comment

Originally posted by Watchdog
        I was working security when I was living around Chicago and was required to join the SEIU union in order to have the job.

This is what they provided after taking a big chunk of a low wage security guard's paycheck.

1. No higher pay than any other non-union security guard company
        2. Medical benefits...AFTER ONE YEAR EMPLOYMENT
        3. No one representing the union ever came forward to us.
        4. No contracts ever handed to us or information about contract negotiations.
        5. If you were able to call and beg and insist to the hissy-fit associate of the union for a copy of a contract, the one they send you has nothing to do with the company and area you are working in. The contract I was given actually had shown a lesser wage than I was making.

Can you say corrupt union?

... And that, ladies and gentleman, is why I was leery of handing over my money to a union when I moved up here. If I wanted to see a contract for my former employer, I asked. They'd print it up, explain it to me, let me READ IT, and then let me ask questions. Why? Because that employee is supposed to follow that contract - why not explain it to them and let them see it for themselves?

I'd rather my employees know what my contracts say, up front, than have them do something that holds me in violation of it, because they didn't know.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Look what I found...

Anyone note the union name? Also, does anyone know of the Wall Street Journal did a story about SEIU integration into private security?

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
            Anyone note the union name? Also, does anyone know of the Wall Street Journal did a story about SEIU integration into private security?
            I don't get it, N.A. What did you find?
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I think I've posted something about this before. The employees of my hotel were unionized, members of a very militant Quebec union. The owner needed to save money because of a downturn in business. He asked for concessions in the existing contract but was told no. He keep the building & sold the management of the hotel to a friend for a dollar. The new management company went bankrupt 9 months later. All the unionized employees were out of a job. A new management company (owned by another "friend") took over & picked & choose the employees they wanted to hire. Everyone started at 0. They lost all their benefits. The ones that were not rehired picketed in front of the hotel for 3 years. I'm told the owner made the union an offer but it was refused because they were afraid that other hotels would do the same thing. Some departments were outsourced. After 3 years an agreement was made to take back the picketers that had not found other jobs except since the restaurant, bar & banquet salons were now concessions the cooks etc had to take jobs as cleaners. A lot of good the union did them!

Also the borough of Montreal where I live set up a Public Security force about 15 years ago. (By-law enforcement, parking etc). The 3 agents that were hired signed their cards to join the blue collar union that the public works people were members of. The next day the force was disbanded & a contract to provide the service was given to a rent-a-cop agency. (Sorry I mean contract security company )

Obviously I am not & don't want to be part of a union. Quebec labour laws are strict. After 3 years of service you have to do something very serious before you can be fired. I've worked for the hotel for 25 years!
              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                I don't get it, N.A. What did you find?
                Take a look at the post about what the SEIU didn't do for the guy who worked in Chicago.

Comment

Union=Gangster. Union=Corruption. 'You went on strike and you gained what?'.

Oh, and I sure do believe the part about being a repoter. Yeah, right.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    Take a look at the post about what the SEIU didn't do for the guy who worked in Chicago.
                    I already read it. I was looking for new information since your post was after that one. Disregard.
                    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

when i worked out inf SF, every company was union, when i first started we were IUSO (internation union of security officers), then we became SEIU 24/7,
                      the union actually worked great out there, in 2002 s/o's were getting 10.00 hr if you were lucky, now the get close to 12.00 starting wage, should be 100 health care, instead of 50 percent, when i worked out in San Francisco, we had a very motivated union, that could actually do things...

but out here in utah since its a right to work state, when employed we sign contracts with our employ that we wont unionize, because of the right to work status in our humble state, basically we can quit for whatever reason dont have to give notice, so no recourse on the employee for quitting, but also the same for the employeers the can let you go for what ever reason they feel, if they dont like you, you are gone, no questions asked. it kinda sucks this way, but its kinda good to, so your not required by law to give 2 weeks notice to a boss, so if you find a nother job, you can call in and say i quit, and thats it no recourse.
                      When not at work or out watching a moive.. passed out at the keyboard.

Comment

From the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

Main Entry: labor union
                        Function: noun
                        : an organization of workers formed for the purpose of advancing its members' interests in respect to wages, benefits, and working conditions

So saying that, would a union be working to improve the standards and training of the profession? I think not (at least in my experience with unions).
                        "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by careerguy2005
                          Personally the SEIU is quite distasteful to me, thier tactics in organizing would warm Jimmy Hoffas heart. I once was a secretary for a UPGWA local and we basically sent our dues to Detroit and represented ourselves, no thanks to the International. Unions have thier purpose but all too often they serve to shelter the lazy and incompetent and the coworkers wind up paying. But as too the SEIU, any union but that one. I want to be represented by someone whose main concern isn't dishwashers, custodians and hospital "aides". Harsh yes, but I bet at the WSJ you don't have the steelworkers representing the pressroom.
                          Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

I wonder if the SEIU also thinks they can get around the Taft-Hartley Act. Security cannot be represented by the same union as workers at a site. Thats why UAW, Steelworkers and other such shops have security represented by other unions. I have seen the SEIU use every dirty under-handed trick and use political blackmail to try to force themselves on some local employees. I would retire before I would be represented by them.
                            Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

Originally posted by ycaso77
                              I wonder if the SEIU also thinks they can get around the Taft-Hartley Act. Security cannot be represented by the same union as workers at a site. Thats why UAW, Steelworkers and other such shops have security represented by other unions. I have seen the SEIU use every dirty under-handed trick and use political blackmail to try to force themselves on some local employees. I would retire before I would be represented by them.
                              Is this still in force? SEIU seems to think private security is just another service occupation.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X