better job than police?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Mayor
    Marin County is a cake walk...keep guessing........
    Well that only leaves Sonoma, Solano and Contra Costa Counties. I haven't heard many nice things about Solano County, I know that...
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Doesn't surprise me.

Where I patrol, the police are busy doing speed enforcement 2 blocks down the road, rather than busting drug dealers who sell to children.
      Yea who cares about speeders? get the dealers out there! But then again if people are speeding into that area You have PC to stop them and then you can catch them with drugs especially out of town buyers and also it lets potential buyers know that the police are active in that area and may actually drive down business right? but the cops prolly dont think of that, they only think of bustin dem their brothers in security for not having a license on em

u should get the dealers urself and shoe thenm what a real officer can do

Comment

Originally posted by SEOHopeful1
        Yea who cares about speeders? get the dealers out there! But then again if people are speeding into that area You have PC to stop them and then you can catch them with drugs especially out of town buyers and also it lets potential buyers know that the police are active in that area and may actually drive down business right? but the cops prolly dont think of that, they only think of bustin dem their brothers in security for not having a license on em

u should get the dealers urself and shoe thenm what a real officer can do
        Are you serious???
        I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
        -Lieutenant Commander Data
        sigpic

Comment

u dont think that using traffic as pc to gain access to potential buyers and sellers is a good idea?

Comment

u dont think that using traffic as pc to gain access to potential buyers and sellers is a good idea?
            Security Officers cannot arrest on probable cause (some states or cities might allow it, but not most). More importantly Security Officers do not do vehicle stops, except in rare occasions.

For Police Officers using traffic to arrest for narcotics buyers and sellers, then I would say yes. If the officer feels that narcotics might be involved and the car has expired plates, then I would execute a stop for the expired plates. While i'm conducting the stop, I will search the vehicle if I have enough evidence to do so.

Security Officers though, in general, cannot and do not conduct vehicle stops.
            "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
              We have ANOTHER troll running loose. Davis002, I told you not to leave that bag of Purina Troll Chow outside. Now look, we have critters.
              What we probally have is a sworn officer from Officer.com being bored. Oh, well.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Oh, for those keeping score, there is a good way, in most states, to get drug dealers where they matter - on your property. Do a stop to determine if they have a legal reason to be on the property.

If they refuse to cooperate, then you have reasonable belief they're trespassing, and can have PD remove them, or remove them yourself.

If they do not have reason to be on the property, then have PD write a trespass. The officers in the area will probally know the area is bad and a drug hole, and will listen to "check this guy."

When you have trespass paper on them, and they return (your interfering with their livelyhood, they'll return, be sure of it), you now have an arrest/detainment for breach of the peace (trespassing).

They get popped again, and again, and they eventually learn its not worth it. They move on. Lather, rinse, repeat.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Hooked On Phonics Worked For Me

Oh... That is what you were trying to say. My bad.
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh... That is what you were trying to say. My bad.
                    sorry for not saying it better the first time.

no harm no foul.

anyway back on topic i'm hoping i can use this job as a learning expereince for become a police officer. whatever happens happens. thanks to everyone for putting up with my newbie questions

Comment

sorry for not saying it better the first time.

no harm no foul.

anyway back on topic i'm hoping i can use this job as a learning expereince for become a police officer. whatever happens happens. thanks to everyone for putting up with my newbie questions
                      Don?t fail to notice the importance of post secondary education
                      sigpic

Comment

The bottom line for this thread is this: LE and Security each have different and distinctive roles to perform. Security doesn't necessarily do a better job than LE and vice-versa. When our duties do overlap, we need to put aside our personal gripes, work together, and respect each others jurisdiction.

Being a cop does not mean that you are trained to handle fire panels, CCTV consoles, and have effective conflict resolution skills w/o resorting to force. Being a security officer does not automatically mean that you have the same powers of arrest, the same training, experience, and equipment for dealing effectively with extremely violent individuals.

We both have our job to do. One is not better than the other. Remember, it's all in the individual's perspective. For instance, the Fed's often look down on street cops for the same reasons some cops look down on security.

LE is not going away, and security isn't either. The sooner we stop with the 'my daddy is stronger than your daddy' child-like mentality, the sooner we can start working together peacefully. Some on both sides will never change their perspective. The rest of us need to move on.
                        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Most of the feds I know (if not all) were street cops. I trained several of them.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                            Most of the feds I know (if not all) were street cops. I trained several of them.
                            I'm glad that your experience has been positive with the feds. My point is that there is rivalry and strife between different LE agencies, whether it's a turf/jurisdiction issue or some other dispute. One has only to read the various posts on officer.com to see it with their own eyes. This 'we're better than you are' mentality is a significant factor in the poor relations between LE and security. As long as this proud and haughty attitude exists on the part of some in LE and security, there is going to be friction. If individuals on both sides are unwilling to change, then they are part of the problem instead of the solution.
                            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Tennsix, I think Mr. Security has a point. I've seen rivalries between a city and county LE agency, to the point that deputies and city officers were actively trying to run traffic against each other for every little violation, jurisdictions were challenged, and shouting matches occurred.

While I think that the Fed vs. Local thing is more myth than anything, at least in the times I've dealt with Treasury over counterfit bills, and FBI for suspicious packinging, the FBI and USTS behaved quite well with the city, and the city wasn't miffed that our protocol required we call the SAIC-WMD or SAIC-Counterfiting.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X