better job than police?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CAR54
    Everyone here is probably underpaid considering their responsibilities. There's really not that big a difference between $9 and hour and $12 or $14 if your trying to buy a house or support a family.
    USA Today, DHS, and alot of people agree with you. Unfournately, the people who count (The clients, and the companies), do not.

Be nice if that changed, especially before someone in Congress gets the idea of trying to artificially inflate the wages through regulation and training, and we find its impossible to pay for a college education to continue to be a security officer.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
      You just restated what I already said.
      You just restated what I had restated.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
        Youngster? I consider that a compliment actually, considering someone that's older than me is still wasting his life working mall security. What are you making? $9/hr.?

Nice try....more than that....wasting my life??

Hey, your the looser who trolls security and officer forums....get a life yourself!!

Comment

Gentlemen:
          Let us try to keep these posts at the professional level. That is the intent of this site. Sniping at one another is a childish trait.
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

Unless it involved some lazy-ass, loser of a police officer or at a place that a security officer was very familiar with and was new to the police officer, I cannot see with the greater power, training, equipment and information a police officer has over most security officers that a security officer could do a better job than the police.

The police officers that I come across in the course of doing my security job I have now have been very helpful and curtious and don't do anything to make themselves feel better than me or other security officers I work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Watchdog
              Unless it involved some lazy-ass, loser of a police officer or at a place that a security officer was very familiar with and was new to the police officer, I cannot see with the greater power, training, equipment and information a police officer has over most security officers that a security officer could do a better job than the police.

The police officers that I come across in the course of doing my security job I have now have been very helpful and curtious and don't do anything to make themselves feel better than me or other security officers I work with.
              Fundamentally, it depends on the job. I waited to touch on this till the war was over.

If its a law enforcement function, than the police officer probally can do the job better - even if they need the security officer's knowledge and human intelligence to be able to effect the enforcement action. After all, even if we arrest someone, we have to turn them over to the police.

But, if its not an enforcement function, then the security officer may be the better person to deal with the event. Police officers will defer to security in residential housing when its a petty noise complaint - knowing that the officer can only write a ordinance citation, where the security officer may be able to have the persons evicted through management.

Another function is "community policing," because the security officer has a very small "beat" and is able to work with citizens in the area of the client property, to promote such things as neighborhood watch, etc.

But, these are things that go beyond "observation and reporting of problems to the company," and require a concerted effort between client management, security management, and officers on the scene. Having seen a neighborhood watch program being "not effective" under community policing, then picked up and augmented by the local security company, to the point the police wanted in on what the company was doing with the residents - providing a cell phone for security that the residents could call, officers working with residents to identify and neutralize problems on and off property that affected them, etc. Residents didn't want to tell the police because the police "didn't do anything with it," but they would tell security because the security officers were always there, and felt to be more responsive.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Private sector security, like public law enforcement, is a shared craft. Neither can successfully exist without cooperation from those served. Those we serve, in either craft, have information that is vital to the success of the mission. We must create an atmosphere whereby those people can?t wait to tell us something out of the order. We for our part must make the provider of information feel he or she has just performed a wonderful service. When we in the private security do not do our utmost to cooperate with the public sector, we suffer and cut off our noses to spite our faces. That is a two-way street. Nevertheless ,it is wrong of us to withhold information that is beneficial to the public sector. If a person having knowledge of the actual commission of a federal felony conceals and does not report it as soon as possible that person faces prosecution for the violation of 18 USC Section 4, Misprision of a Felony. Some states have facilitation statutes, i.e., having knowledge of or encouraging. Sure we may run in to a public sector official who has an attitude, but don?t we all at some time or another. Get over it and move on. Just because a LEO shows a lack of professionalism does not mean we should loose ours. We have heard from childhood of two mules tied together, each trying to pull the other to a bale of hay, realizing the futility of it all, they join forces and eat both bales.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                  Just because a LEO shows a lack of professionalism does not mean we should loose ours.
                  Bill
                  Agreed, I dont lower myself to their level...I wont argue with them...but I will ensure that they face the consequences of their behaviour....as anyone else who sets foot on the property that I secure.

I will also extend courtesty to an leo if there is no attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by mallpopo
                    You ever feel you do a better job than the police???
                    No; I never compare my job to that of the police and in my experience, those in the security industry that do, get little co-operation or respect from the police.

I remember the days when there was no such thing as a Security Guard/Officer, they were called Night Watchmen and were usually 60 year old retired Cops or Military and they got more respect from the Police than some of the pumped up, bearded, head shaven individuals that ponce around the shopping centres today.

They also didn't work for some 'fly by night' security company, and as Security Guards, they were actually employed by the company that they were guarding and if they worked for a large multi national company, they enjoyed the benefits that the other employees were entitled to.

Actually I don't like working shopping centres, I prefer static guard and patrol duty on industrial plants.

Comment

To be honest, shopping centers bored me. Residential is the "hot" place, unless you get into specialized.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mayor
                        Agreed. I can do anything better than the police.
                        I dont have any comradery with them either. A while back I got pulled over. The officer approcahed my car and saw that I was in full Security Officer uniform. I asked for proffessional courtesy and he wrote me a ticket for not having my DL on me (my fault).....but still no professional courtesy The ticket was in the amount of $15.

Couple of months later.....

I see a car parked head out in my lot. I whip out the book issue a citation, put it on the windshield. As I am walking off the owner of the vehicle approaches me (with attitude) and asks me to "discard" the cite. I tell him that I dont write cites then change my mind. He whips out his badge (he is a cop) then says in a more demanding tone (with more attitude)...that I should pull the cite. The ticket was in the amount of $20.

His ego was suuuuucchhh a turn off.

I told him you have been cited for being in violation of parking regs. He then starts telling me about how he is an officer and...blah....blah..blah. Finally I just say "Sir, do not confuse your rank with my authority!"

And I left. you dont be proffessional with me........well thats what you get... cop or not.
                        I have been a police officer for 18 years. I have never badged my way out of a traffic ticket. Moreover, I know cops that have been ticketed and never pulled a badge and never mentioned they were cops.
                        I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
                        -Lieutenant Commander Data
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                          I have been a police officer for 18 years. I have never badged my way out of a traffic ticket. Moreover, I know cops that have been ticketed and never pulled a badge and never mentioned they were cops.
                          Welcome to SIW. Hopefully, you lost Brodie on the way here. While, you, personally have never asked for professional courtesy, there are quite a few police officers who expect it from each other, and demand it from non-LEOs who can cite.

As I said before, maybe its these people that the security company needs to write a nice letter to their local FOP lodge, and kindly ask the FOP to ensure this individual dosen't rock the boat. If worded right, the FOP rep is alot worse than reporting it through the LE agency chain of command, because it shows that the security company knows how to play the game, and get results.

I've had professional courtesy given to me, by state and local LE, but in connection with what I was doing. 15 over trying to get a site to check up on an officer who failed to respond to the status check on the radio, etc. Both I and others I know have told officers pulling us over, "Could you give me the ticket at the site? I need to get there to find out if my officer is alive, dead, or what. In fact, I'd appreciate it if you came with me."

Comment

Of the times I have pulled over SEO?s, I did give most of them special consideration. However, they did not demand it and they were tactful.

I did ticket a reserve cop once. He had a $hitty attitude and stuck a badge in my face as soon as I approached the car. He didn?t even roll down his window.

Do you think a signicant percentage of SEO?s are resentful toward LEO?s?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
                              Of the times I have pulled over SEO?s, I did give most of them special consideration. However, they did not demand it and they were tactful.

I did ticket a reserve cop once. He had a $hitty attitude and stuck a badge in my face as soon as I approached the car. He didn?t even roll down his window.

Do you think a signicant percentage of SEO?s are resentful toward LEO?s?
                              From my personal experience, there is a significant percentage of Security Officers who are resentful of other Security Officers (Ones who try to act professional), LEOs (For various reasons), and Management (The people who make them work.)

Like anything else, there are several demographics in the category of who a security officer is. You have professional companies who strive not to hire the idiots, you have warm body companies who practice liability management through lying, and you have security officers who are either to apathetic to care - or worse - swear to God they're a Special LEO who can kill at the drop of a hat, etc.

Then you have the professional who knows his job is related to law enforcement, but distinctly different. Only in one area do the two converge, and that is the prevention of crime and protection of the public. Police protect society's rights, security officers protect their client's (and the client's visitors, residents, employees, and even that cat on the site's) rights.

I'd say that the idiot SEO resents the police because they're up on charges for this or that, and their company hasn't found out - or there's no background run in their state. I'd say that the Super Trooper resents the police because his badge reads differently than what he wants it to read. And sometimes, the professional resents the individual police officer who may be better suited for the first two categories of security officer than police officer.

You, I have a feeling we'd get along fine at work.

Comment

That was good reading. I appreciate your insight.
                                sigpic

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X