Where's that news ticker thing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's that news ticker thing??

Just an observation: 5 of the last 7 posts (excluding this one) are news items.
    What happened to the forum I joined? Slow days on the farm?
    And what about the news ticker that should cover that kind of thing? Perhaps an administrator could let us know the progress on that front.

Why don't I post something interesting? Because I actually do have some slow days - I strained a ligament in my ankle (50 hrs last week, all walking at a mile each shift hour) and I'm off work for a few days. Without, I might add, any benefits to care for me. Thank heavens I more or less make my own schedule, so I can make up most of those hours next week - if I don't take a day off.

Somebody tell me again why I love this work...

wjohnc

live life happy; you're a long time dead
    Last edited by wjohnc; 06-23-2006, 09:49 PM. Reason: correcting spelling
    Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

News ticker? Never heard of it. I know that the main site has news articles related to physical and technical security.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
      News ticker? Never heard of it. I know that the main site has news articles related to physical and technical security.
      He's being facetious, I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by wjohnc
        Without, I might add, any benefits to care for me.
        Where's your nationalized health care system when you need it?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
          Where's your nationalized health care system when you need it?
          Not only that but in Quebec if you are injured at work you are covered 90% of your salary by Workers Compensation. We do pay high taxes in Canada but it does have some benefits.
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by wjohnc
            Just an observation: 5 of the last 7 posts (excluding this one) are news items.
            What happened to the forum I joined? Slow days on the farm?
            And what about the news ticker that should cover that kind of thing? Perhaps an administrator could let us know the progress on that front.

Why don't I post something interesting? Because I actually do have some slow days - I strained a ligament in my ankle (50 hrs last week, all walking at a mile each shift hour) and I'm off work for a few days. Without, I might add, any benefits to care for me. Thank heavens I more or less make my own schedule, so I can make up most of those hours next week - if I don't take a day off.

Somebody tell me again why I love this work...

wjohnc

live life happy; you're a long time dead
            Wjohnc:
            You have your answer those security related items from the news media are posted by astute members as are those headlines posted by Geoff are indeed commented by the rest of us who have an opinion they, myself included, think the other members might be interested.
            Look at the news item posted about the federal corrections facility in North Florida. Some of the information from the news media was dead wrong, and I my judgment purposefully so, and it was commented upon. On behalf of the other members, I emailed some old friends who gave me the factual story.
            I read every news item the members post, and you know something; I learn from those news articles and the comments posted by the other members.
            If you want to stay on top of your profession and stafe safe so as to go home at the end of your tour of duty, you have to read and read and listen and listen and what is good you keep the other stuff you discard. The good stuff you add to your training regimen and you train, train and train. If ever in your life you think you know it all and do not listen to others especially your fellows in the profession, you need to quit because you are a danger to yourself and others. Nothing in this profession is banal!
            Please consider your reproached.
            Enjoy the day,
            Bill

Comment

Whoa, easy Bill.

I, too, read everything in here, even the things that, at first glance, may appear 'banal'. Because you're right - see, hear, read everything; information is power.

It's just that, well, isn't there anything else going on besides national news, that's all. I didn't mean anything...bad by it, it was just a thought. Perhaps a poorly thought out thought it would seem...

I keep forgetting that sarcasm very definately does not come through in the written word, so from hereon in I'll knock it off - it gets too many people upset at me

And I wasn't being facitious about the news ticker thing...not exactly, anyway. A long time ago somebody suggested a ticker, and while I never did think it would work, there is plenty of space in the 13 varying forums at SIW for any information that sees the good guys home at the end of a shift, in an upright position, with everything attached on its own.

wjohnc
              i'm not 35, i'm 18 with 17 years experience
              Last edited by wjohnc; 06-24-2006, 09:26 PM. Reason: missed thought
              Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
              "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X