Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salary

Here are some Canadian stat's:

The average wage in Canada for a security guard/officer is around $10/hr. That includes LPO's. Most contract companies do not offer benefits, however, most retailers offer benefits for FT employees.

I am employed as a Special Constable (peace officer) and the pay range (depending on experience, who your employer is, etc) is $38,600 - $57,900/year. I've been here for a year, and have 8 yrs exp and bachelor in crim justice, and i Get $49,750/year with full benefits.

PI's can make some serious $$$, depending on the caseload. Corporate security advisors can make up to $70K here in Alberta, and higher in B.C and Ontario.

Adam

Comment

What benefits? I though medical was free in Canada. That is you guys pay 50% and up in taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveSeven
        What benefits? I though medical was free in Canada. That is you guys pay 50% and up in taxes.
        In many provinces most dental/optical work isn't covered; as well, private insurance often covers dispensing fees for medications, as well as stuff that isn't covered by public health insurance (such as anti-acne creams).

Comment

Canada is weird that way. Some provinces don't make you pay for 'basic' healthcare (Ontario for example) and some do make you pay (alberta). Anything extra, like eyecare, dental etc, can be covered by employers, or it cannot. For example, i get 100% coverage on dental, medical, prescriptions, but only get $600/2yrs for eyecare. Each company is different.

Most companies do not offer, any benefits to any part-time employees. Usually f/t and up. Furthermore, if you work for a gov't agency, the benefits are usually MUCH better. In addition, you don't really pay for the benefits. There are plans you can buy through private insurace (bluecross, etc) that get you benefits. And yes, our taxes are much higher than what you guys pay in the USA.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
            My rent was $330 a month - included all utilities, cable internet, etc. (lived with a friend in a decent home). The only other bills I had was cell phone and car insurance.
            Now it makes sense (cents).
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I work at a Hospital in Troy, NY. We're contract security, under Allied Barton and I make $9.50 and hour, their starting rate (for the site)

Comment

In Minnesota, the median wage for security officers is $11.11 per hour, or $1,927 per month for a full-time worker. Half of all security officers earn between $9.35 and $13.88 per hour, or between $1,620 and $2,406 per month.

Nationally, the median wage for security officers is $1,660 per month ($9.60 per hour). Half of all security officers earn between $1,370 and $2,090 per month ($7.88 and $12.06 per hour).

In Minnesota, about 14,963 security officers work in this large occupation.

Nationally, about 995,500 security officers work in this large occupation. security jobs are found all over the nation.
                "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Depends on the position and grade you're hired at with us. Starting is roughly 15.00 an hour for field officers and much higher for dispatchers and lead officers, averaging 19-22 to start. As they have several pay grades and steps its usually all over the place and takes a crystal ball and some runes to explain to new hires. But much better than comparable contract pays.
                  Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

The 3 hotels I work for have the same principal owner & same senior management but are registered a individual companies. Therefore pay & other things are not the same at each hotel.

The largest, the downtown hotel, pays $13.48/hour after 1 year. (It starts at around $11.50). We also give free meals. Free parking. Prescription drug coverage. Free rooms when you have to do 2 shifts with only 8 hours between them. Employee rate at any of the chain's thousands of hotels world wide. 7 legal holidays per year (double time if you have to work). 5 sick days.

The Officers working at the 280 room hotel by the airport are considered employees of the downtown hotel & receive the same pay & benefits. The downtown hotel bills the airport hotel. Both a francises (sp?) of the same chain

Our newest hotel which is right next door to the other one at the airport only pays $10.00/hour with almost the same benefits but no sick days.

We are In-House.

In Quebec most Contract Security Officers are unionized. Those that are not are covered by a government decree. (I don't know exactly how this works since I have not worked contract security since 1976!) I believe the set rate for the contract people is presently $12.50/hour. (Sounds high compared to what a lot of you in the US are making but remember Quebec is the highest taxed place in North America-granted we have free medical care-government car insurance etc-also it's in Canadian dollars so we need to pay about 20% extra for a lot of the things we buy from the US).
                    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

At Boeing where I work $14.25 - $30.00/hr. These are 1st shift wages. 2nd and 3rd shift wages are more due to shift differentials. We are all armed, proprietary security officers. We get all the same benefits as any Boeing employee.

Comment

1230 -1730 18.00 per hr
                        fri 1800-2400 22.00 per hr
                        sat 1800-2400 27.00 per hr
                        we also get first aid allowance.
                        i also work for another company and got paid $300 for 6hrs on a sunday thats after tax.

Comment

Originally posted by ozsecuritychic
                          1230 -1730 18.00 per hr
                          fri 1800-2400 22.00 per hr
                          sat 1800-2400 27.00 per hr
                          we also get first aid allowance.
                          i also work for another company and got paid $300 for 6hrs on a sunday thats after tax.
                          Have these rates been converted into US dollars?
                          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

no sorry i have no idea what the conversion rate is.

Comment

The starting wage here is minimum wage ($6.50/hr), for contratuals, that is. Except for Memorial University Campus Enforcement & Patrol (about $14/hr) I know of no in-house uniformed security personnel.

Wages barely go up, to a top of about $12 - $14 an hour, but that's for supervisors and the like, and it's still bloody rare. Once in a while you might find someone with a ton of training or experience that gets like, 10, maybe 12 bucks, but it's rare.

Wages fluctuate with the sites, because some clients are charged more. When I was managing supervisor I saw differences of as much as $5/hr for individual guards working different sites.

I get $10, only because my company values my skills...and I've proven myself at my present post.

Benefits? Yeah, at a rate of better than $40/month single coverage.

wjohnc
                              Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
                              "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Comment

oops, forgot something

For monetary conversion, check out http://www.xe.com.

wjohnc
                                Rule #1: Go home at the end of the day in an upright position, with everything attached, and with peace of mind for having done the job well.
                                "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Wayne (in his last movie 'The Shootist')

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X