Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Just to clarify something, the numbers I cited in my post are from my tax form which is for SOw/EMT certification. I just asked my work partner, a Unarmed Security Officer and he told me he makes $8.50 per hour. I think, but not sure, that our company pays Armed SOs $9.50 per hour. So unless I become a supervisor I'm at the top of the pay scale for SOs with my company at $10.50 per hour that I get. That is pretty high for security positions around south Louisiana.

Leave a comment:

• Brent311
    replied
    I work as a private school security officer in central Miss., and make $8/hour. Of course I am going to college at the same time so I only work 20-30 hours a week, so I guess it would be considered part-time. That is good pay considering the Securitas and Pendleton agencies in my area start out between $5.15-$6.00/hour.

Leave a comment:

• FiveSeven
    replied
    Cost of living? Well, 1 bedroom apartment would be around $600. There are quite a few local companies that start @ $10-12 pay for armed officers. And like always you get what you pay for, not trained at all, unprofessional, uneducated (and I'm also talking about just plain common sense) and in most cases just borderline 5150's. Run across too many of them in the past, who knows maybe that's why the nationwide wages are so low in this field. I wish standards would be higher at least for the armed officers in this state and elsewhere.
    At my employment we get more professional type and people with good background in military/LE and such.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    What's the cost of living like in your area? I think that's an important factor when we all start citing pay rates. Look at NY, for example, where 10.00 an hour is cheap.

I'm a strong proponent of paying a living wage, and a little more if you can. Helping your employees with professional education. Making them feel wanted and needed, both financially and professionally.

I think we have such high turnover in this industry because people who just don't care come to work, figure out its more than sleeping at a desk, and leave.

WI's Security Advisory Committee, in 2001, discussed training for security. It never happened, but one of the reasons cited was "Persons with criminal convictions may be attracted to private security because of no pre-employment training or standardized testing." You have the sleep on duty crowd, the guys who got fired from the cleaning job for stealing on the clock, etc.

Leave a comment:

• FiveSeven
    replied
    In CA armed usually get paid more then "un". The place I work (armed)I get $15.00/hr + free med (17.50+ for Sgt). We are suppose to get about $1.50+ raise pretty soon. But requirements are pretty high at my employment and we have lots of training every month (range, simulator and summunitions once in a while).

Leave a comment:

• 1stWatch
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    The pay scale I saw in Tampa Bay was:

Unarmed
    6.00 Average
    7.00 Above Average
    8.00 Supervisory

Armed
    8.00 Average
    10.00 Above Average
    12.00 Supervisory

I know what some salary pay rates were, but am still bound by NDA.
    Those rates of pay are the average for Texas as well, except that the unarmed rates match the armed rates. Armed security usually does not get paid more.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    GOOD GRIEF! Do they get food stamps with that to?
    No, but you do get information on how to apply.

Leave a comment:

• Echos13
    replied

Unarmed
    6.00 Average
    7.00 Above Average
    8.00 Supervisory

Armed
    8.00 Average
    10.00 Above Average
    12.00 Supervisory

That's pretty much right on the head N.A. The same goes in the Orlando areas. I live between the two and it's the same, if not worse. The center of the state has more WBC posts than you can shake a stick at. Little or no in-house to speak of unless you consider the Disney areas and hotels. But honestly they do not pay that much better believe it or not.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied

Unarmed
    6.00 Average
    7.00 Above Average
    8.00 Supervisory..
    GOOD GRIEF! Do they get food stamps with that to?

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied

Unarmed
    6.00 Average
    7.00 Above Average
    8.00 Supervisory

Armed
    8.00 Average
    10.00 Above Average
    12.00 Supervisory

Leave a comment:

• hemi444
    replied
    Originally posted by medic15al
    Here in Birmingham the average pay is 5.15-7.00 an hour, armed or not.
    Any employer that pays that amount in my own opinion should not be in the busisness. I know in the city of Philadelphia the usual rate for an armed guard is around 12 an hour, but 12 is still not enough with the areas they have some s/o's posted. If you go out of the city except for the inhouse programs you are looking at around 11 for armed. Most unarmed outfits in the area, pay around 8+ pending on the contract. I know guardsmark pays pretty well for unarmed personnel. I am realy considering in applying with them for an armed accounts or wackenhut due to there contract sites, pay scale and benefits.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by medic15al
    Here in Birmingham the average pay is 5.15-7.00 an hour, armed or not. I make 9.00. Alabama is unregulated totaly in the security field. You can can wear any badge or patch as long as it doesnt acutally say "POLICE or SHERIFF on it.
    I've heard stories about Alabama. When an old company I worked for took over a VA Police account, the guards were prepared to gratify the operations manager. He gave them Flying Cross Shirts, Flying Cross Pants, Duty Rigs, Pepper Spray, Handcuffs, and did a day long certification on OC and handcuffing.

There were remarks stated that 1) The previous outfit gave them two patches to sow on a shirt and jacket, 2) they would do anything the operations manager wanted. And I mean anything.

Leave a comment:

• medic15al
    replied
    Here in Birmingham the average pay is 5.15-7.00 an hour, armed or not. I make 9.00. Alabama is unregulated totaly in the security field. You can can wear any badge or patch as long as it doesnt acutally say "POLICE or SHERIFF on it.

Leave a comment:

• hemi444
    replied
    Not that I have gottne my w-2 for this year but I know in 2004 returns I grossed 38,986. This year I look for about a negative 10,000 this tax season.

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    Resurecting this thread since my W-2 tax form came in the mail this week. Here's the run down.
    Hired fulltime in Louisiana for a contract Security Company in Febuary 2005 as unarmed Security Officer with Emergency Medical Technician duties.
    Pay is $10.50 per hour and I work 12 hour night shifts, 6pm-6am.
    Pay period is Bi weekly and I'm usually scheduled for a total of 84 hours per period (80 straight and 4 overtime) with occasional overtime shifts due to covering for fellow EMTs who were off duty.
    According to my W-2 form, Box 1, Wages, Tips, Other Compensation- $20722.30.
    Anyone else want to share?

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X