Salary/Benefits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salary/Benefits?

What is the beginning and top salary for security guards where you work?
    I work at a small, privately owned company which starts at $9/hr for a basic unarmed guard to $10-$12 for armed and then a bit more for supervisory positions. Which I think is about the average for most basic security companies unless you are working armored truck or at a more elite security force such as for VIPs and government officials.
    They also provide full medical for about $25/mo for a single person.

Originally posted by Watchdog
    What is the beginning and top salary for security guards where you work?
    I work at a small, privately owned company which starts at $9/hr for a basic unarmed guard to $10-$12 for armed and then a bit more for supervisory positions. Which I think is about the average for most basic security companies unless you are working armored truck or at a more elite security force such as for VIPs and government officials.
    They also provide full medical for about $25/mo for a single person.
    I will find the link, but the federal government has average rate of pay for most industries, including the job classification "security guard," which includes for OSHA/DOL standards "Security Officers, Security Guards, Campus Safety Officers, Campus Police Officers (Non-Sworn)," etc.

I believe the national average was $9.46 an hour. Since the majority of security guards are unarmed, that would be unarmed pay.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Well first off let me state that Security is my second job and i do it because i like it not for the money. I make 9.25 / hr unarmed at the local mall.My normal job is military firefighter.
      Robert
      Here endith the lesson

Comment

where are you gonna find a Campus Police Officer that is non-sworn? The word Police Officer is in their title!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mallpopo
          where are you gonna find a Campus Police Officer that is non-sworn? The word Police Officer is in their title!!!
          University of Wisconsin Protective Services, Carthage College, Saint Petersburg College...

Police does not imply a public authority in every state.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I checked the various UW websites. The Police Officers assigned to those campuses are SWORN Police Officers. I'm guessing because it is state property(much like public university/college police in Illinois). Nowhere on the Carthage College website does it say they are Police Officers. They are security and do not use Police anywhere in their title. I could not find a website for St. Petersburg

Comment

Additionally I don't know of any state where POLICE does not imlpy authority...Unless maybe if you are the fashion police

Comment

Originally posted by mallpopo
                Additionally I don't know of any state where POLICE does not imlpy authority...Unless maybe if you are the fashion police
                Wisconsin State Statue 440.26(1m)(h)
                (h) "Private Security Person" or "Private Security Personnel" means any private police, guard, or any person who stands watch for security persons.

Kenosha Private Police, Racine Private Police, and other companies with "Private Police" have non-sworn civilian security officers. They are authorized to use the term "private police officer," "private police agency," and other terms, by regulation and statute. This bestows no public authority on them.

Comment

"I've heard" that in N.Y. many guards are unionized and make considerably more then most states which might bring up the average. On the other hand I also have a friend that works as an unarmed post commander in Florida and only pulls in $8.25.

Here in California I'm making $9.00 an hour, which is considered decent pay for someone with no previous experience at an unarmed post. Most positions here start around $8.25-8.50 per hour.
                  Last edited by CAR54; 10-10-2005, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Unarmed guards here in Phx, Az. start at $9 p/h. I have talked to a few armed guards at Circle K & QuikTrip that are making $10 p/h. Most armored car companies are starting new people out at $ 11 p/h.
                    The contract security people at Luke AFB are making $17 p/h but NO benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
                      That's ridiculous.
                      That's the service industry. Isn't it wonderful? And the companies will fight any increase in wages, because the clients won't stand for it. After all, when your going with the lowest bidder, any company trying to raise the bar will lose their bids.

The only thing you can do is absorb loss whereever possible and translate that to increased wages, or demonstrate to the bidding client that you will provide a superior service than the idiot bidding 3 guards at 5.50 per hour. Especially when you point out that they'll be charging you 75 dollars when a supervisor does a post inspection for a "on site radio fee," or they'll be charging additional fees for having a cell phone on site ("We bid for a guard. You get one guard, one uniform, one log book. You want him to have a way to call the police? We lease cell phones, client responsible for billing."), or for a vehicle.

I've seen all these things happen, its rather amusing to watch a client's bill go from 8.50 per man hour to 12.50, while they're still getting an employee paid 5.50.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmoredTrk in Az
                        Unarmed guards here in Phx, Az. start at $9 p/h. I have talked to a few armed guards at Circle K & QuikTrip that are making $10 p/h. Most armored car companies are starting new people out at $ 11 p/h.
                        The contract security people at Luke AFB are making $17 p/h but NO benefits.
                        Who are those contract security? Wackenhut Government Services? Those may actually be "Wackenhut Federal Police," and they're SUPPOSED to be getting benefits.

Yep, Wackenhut runs a police department. And a correctional agency in Florida, and I believe several other states. Private law enforcement and corrections for state and federal government.

Comment

Originally posted by CAR54
                          "I've heard" that in N.Y. many guards are unionized and make considerably more then most states which might bring up the average. On the other hand I also have a friend that works as an unarmed post commander in Florida and only pulls in $8.25.

Here in California I'm making $9.00 an hour, which is considered decent pay for someone with no previous experience at an unarmed post. Most positions here start around $8.25-8.50 per hour.
                          When I was last in Florida, the average employee made 6.75 to 7.00 an hour. Supervisors got a .50 to 1.50 raise. Armed officers were paid 8.00 to 9.00 an hour. Supervisors got a .50 to 2.00 raise.

Most companies took the supervisors and made them salary employees, calling them "junior management." Great, you make 12 bucks, but you put in 4 hours at the office, then another 10 or 12 on the road at night. Oh, and your also the management representative, which means if something bad happens - your dealing with it, DO NOT CALL THE OWNER.

Comment

USProtect has an AF contract for several bases. I have a friend who has worked at Luke AFB as one of the contract guards. He started with Worldwide Protection , USProtect has had the contract for a year. They are not sure who will get the contract in Dec. They keep the same guards , just change the company and uniforms.

Comment

Contract Security Guards at the facility I work at start at $10.25 as a regular guard. $14.42 for the shift Lieutenant. No real benefits to speak of other than a weeks vacation and a real crappy accident and injury insurance plan. The in house security officers at the facility start around $15.00/hr full benifits. 3 weeks vacation, blue cross/blue shield, 401k, delta dental, and more. This is a large metropolitan hospital. Officers are unarmed and have no police powers.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X