X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aka Bull
    replied
    Originally posted by kingsman
    Federal Bureau if Prisons officers go thru a 3 week training class at FLETC, same place I took customs training. most of them coming thru there looked like thugs to us.
    I worked in corrections as an officer at both state and county levels in my past and I have had the comment made to me that we looked like "goons". It is an old stereotype that corrections officers have a smaller IQ that their hat size.

It is unfortunate that such stereotypes continue the deviseness that occurs between professions. Judge the person not the profession.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    To a Marine, Air Force guys look like hippies. I've met cops who during their off duty hours look like Gangstas. Yet they're able to function as police officers on duty.

Leave a comment:

• kingsman
    replied
    Federal Bureau if Prisons officers go thru a 3 week training class at FLETC, same place I took customs training. most of them coming thru there looked like thugs to us.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by aka Bull
    It seems that new services like to call any protection force "guards" who are not police officers or federal agents.

The officers being arrested were Bureau of Prisons correctional officers, according to the press release below the BOP stated it was an exchange of gunfire "between federal law enforcement officers".

http://www.bop.gov/news/press/press_...L_shooting.pdf
    After a quick jaunt on YouTube, I understand where they get it from. People don't believe a "Security Guard" can posesss weapons, and the more they hear "Guard Killed By Cop," the worse off the profession looks.

Leave a comment:

• aka Bull
    replied
    It seems that new services like to call any protection force "guards" who are not police officers or federal agents.

The officers being arrested were Bureau of Prisons correctional officers, according to the press release below the BOP stated it was an exchange of gunfire "between federal law enforcement officers".

http://www.bop.gov/news/press/press_...L_shooting.pdf

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill Warnock
    Nathan:
    They are federal employees a part of the Federal Bureau of Prisons system. This was a two year ongoing investigation. As I was told, they may carry privately owned weapons, but must put them in a lock box prior to entering the corrections area of the facility.
    Further, the corrections officer in question went to the lobby to retrieve his POW and then opened fire on the DOJ and FBI agents. DOJ agent was killed as was the the corrections officer.
    Stuff like that happens at all levels of city, county, state and federal.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill
    Ok, so the AP and every other news source is calling the security guards for no reason, other than to make it sound like security guards are trying to kill cops.

I'd love to know who the original story was, and if they have an agenda. The Faternal Order of Police at national and state levels vehemently opposes the privization of corrections. (Note, of course, that they only represent sworn correctional officers. Non-sworn jailers like we have up here are on their own. They can be privitized and the FOP don't care, they're not cops.)

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    I've asked around, and have been told that they're contract security guards who are hired by the detention facility.

I can't get a straight answer, so I ran with what most of the articles are saying. If someone can show proof that they're federal agents, or security guards, or detention deputies... I'd love to see it.
    Nathan:
    They are federal employees a part of the Federal Bureau of Prisons system. This was a two year ongoing investigation. As I was told, they may carry privately owned weapons, but must put them in a lock box prior to entering the corrections area of the facility.
    Further, the corrections officer in question went to the lobby to retrieve his POW and then opened fire on the DOJ and FBI agents. DOJ agent was killed as was the the corrections officer.
    Stuff like that happens at all levels of city, county, state and federal.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    I've asked around, and have been told that they're contract security guards who are hired by the detention facility.

I can't get a straight answer, so I ran with what most of the articles are saying. If someone can show proof that they're federal agents, or security guards, or detention deputies... I'd love to see it.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied

Leave a comment:

• aka Bull
    replied
    According to several articles I've read on this incident the facility it occurred at is a Federal Detention Center next to the Federal Correctional Institution facility (minimum security female facility) outside Tallahassee. The officers were routinely assigned to either facility.

The officers in questions would be Bureau of Prisons officers, not private security guards.

Here is an article in the Tallahassee Democrat newspaper on the incident.

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs...606220344/1082

Leave a comment:

• EMTGuard
    replied
    What facility was this? No where in the article did it name the detention facility. Are they TRYING to be vague? That's what is so wrong with the media these days. No attention to details.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    started a topic Florida Security Guard Kills Federal Agent

Florida Security Guard Kills Federal Agent

From Officer.com...
    http://www.officer.com/article/artic...ion=2&id=31154

A furious gun battle erupted inside a federal prison Wednesday when a guard opened fire on FBI agents who had come to arrest him and several others on charges of having sex with female inmates in exchange for money, alcohol and pot. Two people were killed and another was wounded.

--

Everyone's running this as the gunman was a security guard. Till I see indications otherwise, this is probably one of the private prisons that uses D officers. The State has shut down their licensing portal today, most likely overwhelmed by people looking up the guard's licensing info.

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X