Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got hired by PerMar, having problems getting assigned

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Got hired by PerMar, having problems getting assigned

    I was haired by PerMar last week. I have Il perc card and temp Iowa card. When I found by accident that the local college was changing security comanys and was probably going to PerMar, I applied. During my interview, I made it very clear that I wanted to be considered for site supervisor. I preiviously worked at this site for another company a few years ago, so I have knowledge of the site, the client, and the requirements. I am a retired Correctional Peace Officer and am retired from the Air Force, where I recieved a ton of management training. The person who does the branch office assignments is now saying that she is very busy and cannot gaurantee assignment where I desire, It is a thirty mile drive to thier other sites and although I am willing to drive there to fill in, I do not wish to be commuting on a regular basis. Am I being put off??
    Murphy was an optomist.

  • #2
    Originally posted by jeff194307
    I was haired by PerMar last week. I have Il perc card and temp Iowa card. When I found by accident that the local college was changing security comanys and was probably going to PerMar, I applied. During my interview, I made it very clear that I wanted to be considered for site supervisor. I preiviously worked at this site for another company a few years ago, so I have knowledge of the site, the client, and the requirements. I am a retired Correctional Peace Officer and am retired from the Air Force, where I recieved a ton of management training. The person who does the branch office assignments is now saying that she is very busy and cannot gaurantee assignment where I desire, It is a thirty mile drive to thier other sites and although I am willing to drive there to fill in, I do not wish to be commuting on a regular basis. Am I being put off??
    Possibly. What did she initially say regarding your request?
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

    Comment


    • #3
      She initially told me that she would use me as a floater until they got the contract
      Murphy was an optomist.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jeff194307
        She initially told me that she would use me as a floater until they got the contract
        Depending on the time line before the new contract starts; it may be a good way to get your foot in the door. If she seems evasive about committing to moving you to the new account as supervisor when they get it, then you might want to see what else is available with a different company. You seem to have the background to qualify as a site supervisor. If this company can't see it, maybe another one will.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

        Comment


        • #5
          What kind of college is using a contract guard service for security?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jackhole
            What kind of college is using a contract guard service for security?
            3 of the 4 major universities in Montreal use contract . 2 use in-house people as supervisors & 1 has "Special Constables".
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jackhole
              What kind of college is using a contract guard service for security?
              Keep in mind that in Canada the training among contract guard companies tends to be even worse than in the US-some companies here offer ABSOLUTELY NO training at all-no videos, nothing...

              Comment


              • #8
                It's a small private school,been around over 150 yrs. I want the site, how do I get it? Should I contact Corprate if she can't see my qualifications after say a week?
                Murphy was an optomist.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jeff194307
                  It's a small private school,been around over 150 yrs. I want the site, how do I get it? Should I contact Corprate if she can't see my qualifications after say a week?
                  Where you given, in writing, a statement that you would get the posting? If not, then contacting corporate would probably result in your termination. With most contract companies, you are posted where you are posted. If you don't like where you're posted, you can quit.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

                  "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    No, it is not in writing and no, I won't go to corporate. I cannot understand what happened, she was all for my help until Thursday, then she was too busy and corporate was coming to the branch for a visit, and she did not know where to assign me, yak, yak ,yak. Mind the fact that she has completely proscessed me into the company, uniforms and all, but I am not earning a thing.
                    Murphy was an optomist.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jeff194307
                      No, it is not in writing and no, I won't go to corporate. I cannot understand what happened, she was all for my help until Thursday, then she was too busy and corporate was coming to the branch for a visit, and she did not know where to assign me, yak, yak ,yak. Mind the fact that she has completely proscessed me into the company, uniforms and all, but I am not earning a thing.
                      Same thing happened to me at Wackenhut. After I had all my paperwork filled out, my uniforms fitted, etc. and she still didn't know where I was going to be working, how much I was going to be making, FT/PT, I told her to kiss my ass.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jeff194307
                        No, it is not in writing and no, I won't go to corporate. I cannot understand what happened, she was all for my help until Thursday, then she was too busy and corporate was coming to the branch for a visit, and she did not know where to assign me, yak, yak ,yak. Mind the fact that she has completely proscessed me into the company, uniforms and all, but I am not earning a thing.
                        Strange indeed. I don't get it. Give it another week??
                        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jeff194307
                          I was haired by PerMar last week. I have Il perc card and temp Iowa card. When I found by accident that the local college was changing security comanys and was probably going to PerMar, I applied. During my interview, I made it very clear that I wanted to be considered for site supervisor. I preiviously worked at this site for another company a few years ago, so I have knowledge of the site, the client, and the requirements. I am a retired Correctional Peace Officer and am retired from the Air Force, where I recieved a ton of management training. The person who does the branch office assignments is now saying that she is very busy and cannot gaurantee assignment where I desire, It is a thirty mile drive to thier other sites and although I am willing to drive there to fill in, I do not wish to be commuting on a regular basis. Am I being put off??
                          It is possible that Per Mar is not going to get into any deep conversations regarding staff changes until they are formally notfied that they have the contract. If that is the case, they can't make a hard committment to you at this point. I would be patient, but follow up with them every few days or so.
                          Richard Dickinson
                          Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
                          DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
                          www.hrdickinson.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            They were notified on the day that they hired me that they had the contract. The office manager even called me when I got home and wanted to know which nwespapers should have thier ad in them. I would understand this situation better if she would explain why she made the statement that she would not gaurantee me that site. I simply do not comprehend all of this, I am very qualified to be a site supervisor and the branch office is 99 miles from the college , but I live in the community. It would seem to me that they would want me there to prevent them from driving that distance whenever they needed to know something about the site. I should repeat that I worked this site for a short time when the previous company had it, so I aware of the site's requirements and can communicate with the client rep, who is a dean at the college.
                            Murphy was an optomist.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jeff194307
                              They were notified on the day that they hired me that they had the contract. The office manager even called me when I got home and wanted to know which nwespapers should have thier ad in them. I would understand this situation better if she would explain why she made the statement that she would not gaurantee me that site. I simply do not comprehend all of this, I am very qualified to be a site supervisor and the branch office is 99 miles from the college , but I live in the community. It would seem to me that they would want me there to prevent them from driving that distance whenever they needed to know something about the site. I should repeat that I worked this site for a short time when the previous company had it, so I aware of the site's requirements and can communicate with the client rep, who is a dean at the college.
                              PM me with your name and I'll make a call.
                              Richard Dickinson
                              Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
                              DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
                              www.hrdickinson.com

                              Comment

                              Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X