(on-call) dispatch phones........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (on-call) dispatch phones........

does your company use "on-call" dispatch phones were the phone is passed from supervisor to supervisor on a rotational basis ? if so do you like the idea? and what is the duration of your "on-call" dispatch ?

with my company each supervisor carries the phone for one week and is required to answer it from 6pm to 6am EVERYDAY even if your not on sched. YOU MUST ANSWER the phone, then notify who ever needs to be notified of the problem rather via radio or calling thier phone... we get lucky and only have to carry for 7 days.. sunday to - sat/sun , but ive heard of companies that do it on 30 day rotations... that would suck ! but then agian you wouldnt get it for another 3 months or so.... here we get it every 4th week.. basically 4 sups.... :P so basically once a month...
    When not at work or out watching a moive.. passed out at the keyboard.

The company I work for has 24 hour dispatch, It is passed from dispatcher to dispatcher at the conclusion of there shift (usually 12 hours) they are mobile units so they have the cell and a radio.

stay safe
    Ben

Comment

I've seen that. Personally, I would rather have a dispatching center. Using VoIP (with proper security), you can have the phone number(s) redirect to any internet-capable broadband location.

This means that it could go to someone using a VoIP soft phone and a Sprint EVDO card. Someone using a company's DSL or cable modem and a series of ATA hard VoIP phones from Cisco.

Yeah... Did I mention that one of my projects is mapping out a national VoIP system using Asterisk Open-Source PBX system so that no matter where someone is, they can call a local number and get the company? Then it just routes the calls to end points over the VoIP network.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Yeah...
        I would really prefer a dispatch centre, but it is what it is right

stay safe
        Ben

Comment

Up until recently I worked the 15h00 to 23h00 shift Sunday to Thursday. My boss was on call from 05h00 to 21h00. I was on call from 21h00 to 05h00. Now I work 15h00 to 23h00 Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. I work 07h00 to 15h00 on Saturday & Sunday. We've made arrangements where on Friday my boss stays on call until 02h00. Between 02h00 & 05h00 the staff are only to call in an extreme emergency. I take over at 05h00. On Sunday I do from 05h00 until 05h00 Monday morning. We use cell phones & pagers.
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

We have a supervisor on duty 24-7 as well as an on site control center that is always manned by at least a few officers.

Comment

We are told when hired that we are always on call. It's part of the job requirements to have a phone where you can be reached if necessary and a reliable means of transportation. Everyday that I'm off there's a chance I could be called in to work if another EMT calls off.
              Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
                We are told when hired that we are always on call. It's part of the job requirements to have a phone where you can be reached if necessary and a reliable means of transportation. Everyday that I'm off there's a chance I could be called in to work if another EMT calls off.
                We're the same way, but just because they call doesn't mean I have to come in. If I don't feel like working, they better find someone else.

Comment

There's never a need for an on-call supervisor here because every shift has a supervisor every day.

Comment

As S/S at my hospital, I get the pleasure of being "on-call" 24/7. The hospital provides me with a pager and I use my cell phone. This is where the importance of hiring quality/competent staff comes in. If they handle situations themselves, I do not need to respond.
                    ========================================
                    Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brain falls out! - Unknown

Comment

Supervision on Call

When workimg for the US Marshals Service, my team, two of us, had courthouse security responsibilities for anything West of the Mississippi River including Hawaii, Guam and US Administered Trust Territories where they had a US Court. Our duty day began at 0900 and ended at 1750 Eastern Time. All the folks responsible for that security had my pager & home phone numbers. I made it my business to have on our nightstand, numbers for our contractors, our maintenance log and government calling card. They were told to call at anytime 24/7. The word was: "if in doubt, call me." I called the contractors with the wording, if I'm up, you're up. Weekends were no exception. Worked like a charm, we didn't leave anyone hanging. Lives could be at stake!
                      My friends, that is what leadership and supervision is all about. You set the example and the others know it.
                      As a GM-14, we were not authorized overtime or comp time. If offered, I sometimes took it, but not always. Leadership should never be about the money. If you don't like the mission, move on.
                      Try it, it works.
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
                        There's never a need for an on-call supervisor here because every shift has a supervisor every day.
                        Technically that's the same with my situation. The Emergency Med Tech SOs out rank the regular unarmed SOs so at our post the EMT/SO is the shift supervisor over any other SO/s on duty. Then, the EMT/SO with the most time in service is the Site Supervisor and gets all the fun of stuff like keeping the schedule figured out and sending in timesheets each week. So when I'm on shift, due to my pay grade, EMT/SO, I am technically in charge of my SO coworker even though it's never really been an issue. He or she has certain SO duties which include walk throughs of buildings while I, being medical, have duties in the on site clinic (pee in the cup, dude. or Damn, is that all YOUR blood?). We share other jobs such as checking vehicles in the gate, answering the phone, logbook entries and routine paperwork and other chores.
                        Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Each of our shift supervisors and the ass't supv. is issued a nextel. Seperate dispatch centers for security, police and transit. Each officer is issued a take home radio, so all in all communications is in good shape.
                          Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X