Security Officer Fitness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Officer Fitness

What are your views on the physical fitness of the common security officer. I have been working here so long that I have gained over 25 pounds in a year. I fear that they may fire me if I don't get in shape. If they do, should I sue them?

I have noticed that many officers are over weight. Myself included. I am 6'2" and about 230 lbs. I am also in the military and need to get into better shape then i am in. I am working on it. I feel that security officers should be fit to do there job. If you have to chase some one, Fight etc.. Also it gices a more professional look whtn you are fit. That is why i am starting to work at it. Should they fire you over this NO. At least not without giving you a chance to get into shape after giving you a warning. I have gotten this bad due to getting injured a few months ago and not being able to run or lift weights. I just havent started to do it now cuz i have been lazy. My goal is to be in better shape by december.
    Robert
    Here endith the lesson

Comment

I've never heard of a security company, other than ones that do tactical operations such as CIS (Clearwater, Florida), or of course ones like Blackwater USA, require physical fitness.

Some states require that a doctor verify a person is physically capable of doing the job before the state will hand over a gun permit. Most doctors have no idea what that means, and make them take a work physical, then sign off on the thing without looking at it.

Basically, my view is that anyone of any fitness level can find SOMETHING to do in private security, but you had best match that person's ability level to their task.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Security Officer Fitness

When we fail to maintain physical fitness we may not only fail ourselves at a critical time but fail to accomplish the mission which is to protect lives and protect property. It is hard to do when your breathing sounds like a coffee perculator with no lid. Remember -- mission, mission, mission!
        Enjoy the day,
        Bill

Comment

I think we should eat as much as possible....People will leave me alone when I'm huge. I mean business always

Comment

I agree. My size is a part of my persona. People are less reluctant to mess with a shrimp. I enjoy eating and walking is enough. I also practice Aikido.

Comment

Originally posted by mallpopo
              I think we should eat as much as possible....People will leave me alone when I'm huge. I mean business always
              I have a site for you, all you do is sit there and wait for a red light and buzzer to go off. The computers do everything, you just have to sit there and wait for the red light and buzzer.

We tried to use trained monkeys for it, but the monkeys formed a union, and you KNOW how it is dealing with simian unions. I can't buy that many bananas, nor will they buy them themselves!
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Physical fitness is always a challenge when working most security jobs, especially if confined to a car seat or chair for long extended periods of time. The best system I have found, at least personally, is to adapt a program that incorporates aspects of cardiovascular training and anaerobic training, usually a combination of calesthenics and weight training. The cardio part doesn't last any more than 30 minutes, so it should be of sufficient intensity to be beneficial to the heart itself. Using high repetitions on each major muscle group stimulates atp/tp production and that assists greatly with alertness, motivation, and ability.
                "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Originally posted by wannabedafiveoh
                  I fear that they may fire me if I don't get in shape.
                  While your job is important, your health s/b far more important. Can you switch to a post that requires more walking? How about changing your diet? For example, I have a terrible sweet tooth. The solution for me: Frozen grapes. Instead of just giving up unhealthy foods, find a substitute that works for you. Ask anyone who is unhealthy and they will tell you that NOW is the time to do something about it.
                  Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X