No announcement yet.

Why did you switch to working security?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did you switch to working security?

I used to be a tropical plant care technician going to 5-10 office buildings a day caring for over 2500 indoor plants per week all over the DFW area of Tx.
    At some buildings the guard in the lobby would be reading a magazine or a paper while I'm sweating it out trying to maintain over $100K of indoor plants and trees.
    I finally got the hint when a friendly guard enlightened me that I was making the same $ as he was.
    I then switched over to working security and never looked back since.
    Observe and report what you saw with a good flashlight.
    Bedtime at sunrise

I started security because i wanted to work in law enforcement agina in some small way. I also wanted a fun part time job. My buddy used to work for the same company i did and it seemed fun.
    Robert
    Here endith the lesson

Comment

well, it wasn't for the money LOL

I prefer security jobs to other jobs because it allows me to be in control of what I do rather than a supervisor looking over my shoulder all day or a co-worker bugging me or complaining. It allows me to be the boss of the situation around me and lets me set the rules rather than an outsider saying that "the customer is always right" when they are not. The only people I have to listen to and obey is my boss and the client I'm doing security for.

Security is a very responsible job, but is is also not very stressful most of the time. You don't have to make quotas, deadlines, or anything like that. You just have to show responsibilty to get respect and appreciation from your employer and don't have to kiss any ass.

I never get stressed out doing security and never hate going to work like I have with other jobs where I know there's a lot of work ahead and I know it's going to be a bad day.

Since most security jobs are a 24 hr jobs, it is usually easier to find a shift that works best for you whether it is 1st, 2nd or 3rd. and if you want some overtime, I never worked any security that wasn't looking for people to work extra hours.

It is never hard to find a security job if you decide to relocate or change employers.

Comment

I wanna prove that I'm not a loser. I like telling people what to do.

Comment

Why did you switch to working security?

A person who believes being a police officer is a snap and telling people what to do gives you a thrill is not living in a real world. Next to being a parent, being a police officer was the hardest job I ever had. It is no place for a bully, not that you have to worry about that. The psychological testing and screening will preclude your acceptance. Working in nuclear and chemical weapons security was demanding but at least at the end of the day you didn't have to worry about not going home to your family. Nothing is routine in that job, there is always the unexpected. Not mentally preparing yourself could mean injury or death for yourself, your fellow officers or the innocent you have sworn to protect. That oath means you must be willing to lay your life on the line for them! Three things to remember if you make a mistake as a police officer: What are you going to say at the hospital?, What are you going to say at the funeral? What are you going to that image in the mirror staring back a you? Maturity and common sense are required?
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

I chose security because I've always enjoyed anything and everything involving safety. We all know that the $$ isn't the best. However, protecting people and property from danger makes it worth it. When I train a new s/o, I remind them that it was an alert security guard who discovered the break-in at Watergate--not a police officer. Like most jobs, it's attitude that makes the difference.
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

why

I have been in and out of the security field most of my adult life, I started in oil field security, then apartment security, now I am in Corporate Security and a company Employee. I have been here for almost 10 years and I plan on retiring, In fact I love it here, I work for a multi-Billion dollar Petroleum corp. I make better than normal pay and I do allmost nothing, except get a check every two weeks. some of us are lucky I guess

this is my first post I am a noob here.... If anyone needs advice, I'll try my best.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                A person who believes being a police officer is a snap and telling people what to do gives you a thrill is not living in a real world. Next to being a parent, being a police officer was the hardest job I ever had. It is no place for a bully, not that you have to worry about that. The psychological testing and screening will preclude your acceptance. Working in nuclear and chemical weapons security was demanding but at least at the end of the day you didn't have to worry about not going home to your family. Nothing is routine in that job, there is always the unexpected. Not mentally preparing yourself could mean injury or death for yourself, your fellow officers or the innocent you have sworn to protect. That oath means you must be willing to lay your life on the line for them! Three things to remember if you make a mistake as a police officer: What are you going to say at the hospital?, What are you going to say at the funeral? What are you going to that image in the mirror staring back a you? Maturity and common sense are required?
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill
                As far as not knowing what could happen to you. I would say even S/O's and we all know have the chance of being injured and or killed on duty. You never know what can happen. My way of thinking is i hope im always ok and will go home but i also know that i may not. And if by being a S?O one thinks its all easy and nothing may be possible to happen to you, I have to say you are not being true to your self. Any thing can go down not only to Sworn LEOS or S/O's but anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by S/O245
                  As far as not knowing what could happen to you. I would say even S/O's and we all know have the chance of being injured and or killed on duty. You never know what can happen. My way of thinking is i hope im always ok and will go home but i also know that i may not. And if by being a S?O one thinks its all easy and nothing may be possible to happen to you, I have to say you are not being true to your self. Any thing can go down not only to Sworn LEOS or S/O's but anyone.
                  Get hit by a bus, get blown up in a terrorist attack, have a heart attack, choke on your hot dog...

Of course, we have a higher chance of being killed/injured by other persons committing violence against us.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Actually progressivly for the last 10 or 15 years the security industry has had more LODD's than Sworn Law Enforcement.

Comment

I got into section 8 security as an experience builder as I pursue a career as a LEO. I don't plan on making a career out of it, but I do really really enjoy working with the public and learning alot of things to look for in my future career.

Comment

Well I worked in the beverage industry for some time and really hated it, worked for coca cola then for a 7up distrubuter, i just got tired of all the BS and how they took advantage of me. Like some guys would get off work early, because they did a real shoddy job and didnt care about anything, I was always the last one off usually alot later than everyone else in my department because the boss would call and ask hey where did so and so go?, I would say well he is always out of here by 1pm, my ex boss would go on and say yea well he did a real bad job here, I need you to come back and take care of it for me. And I would and they always did this to me, my ex boss would tell me that I did a great job and wished there was more of me in the department, well I just got fed up about why the guys who were being paid pretty good could not do a good job and I always ended up taking care of it, and they never got into any trouble for it or anything and I felt like I was being penalized because I was actully doing my job. I saw some armored truck guards around and that looked like attractive work to me. I now am a Full time armed airport security officer and a part time armored car guard which I enjoy both jobs very much and Iam not taken avantage of. Private protection services just really interest me. And since becoming a security officer I have not looked back at all and am extremely happy with the company Iam with and the people who I work with. Also I served some time in the Army national guard and I work with people who have/are serving and can relate. Always wanted to get a job/career with service and work with people proud to wear our uniform wether it be military or security.
                        Last edited by plankeye; 11-28-2005, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd_shift
                          I used to be a tropical plant care technician going to 5-10 office buildings a day caring for over 2500 indoor plants per week all over the DFW area of Tx.
                          At some buildings the guard in the lobby would be reading a magazine or a paper while I'm sweating it out trying to maintain over $100K of indoor plants and trees.
                          I finally got the hint when a friendly guard enlightened me that I was making the same $ as he was.
                          I then switched over to working security and never looked back since.
                          Uncle Dooly here... had to change my name cause I couldn't remember the email address I used to register (typical stupid guard, right?... haha)

I was a Night Club - Cruise Ship entertainer for 20 years (played most instruments, sang, show and dance groups, as well as an occasional single keyboard gig - did stand-up comedy, other things in the biz - still do an occasional local gig - http://www.johnmccoy.us ). About 10 years ago the club scene petered out (regular, nightly entertainment wise) and I could no longer make a steady living. When that happened I had to work ships, almost exclusively, which is a miserable life and after a few years I just couldn't stand it anymore. I had strong computer skills so I went into hardware/software support - worked for Allstate Tech Support for a while (phone support for Microsoft Office and Allstate Legacy applications for southern regional offices)... high pressure, high anxiety level. I was into Amature Radio (General Class - KC4YXO) and sometimes, late at night, I would talk to a Security Guard at a Mobile Home park near my house (Orlando). What he did sounded so calm and relaxing and, since my job was about to put me in a nuthouse, I decided to try it - and did. Like many people, I got sucked into it - easy job - minimal pressure - no irritating supervision - not to mention the fact that if somebody gave me any crap, I could quit and find another job in an hour or so as long as I maintained a little "up yours" money in the bank.... hehe.

The only problems I've had with the industry is, when you've spent your life dedicating 110% of your efforts to your chosen career, it's a little hard to deal with most provider's "warm body" approach and the "show up - shut up - collect the check - and go home" attitude of so many of my fellow "professionals(?)."

I, presently, work a large residential community in St. Pete, Fl. ... been there almost 5 years with a great group of officers.

That's my story and I'm stickin' with it.

Try some of my sites:
                          http://www.awfullyfunny.com
                          http://www.johnniemccoy.com
                          http://www.gulfcomp.com
                          http://www.webawebadoo.com (for small children)
                          If you can't see the humor, leave your gun at the door!

Comment

I can't say I "switched" to security work. It has been the only thing I have really done. Got my first job as a high rise building security guard when I was 19. Didn't think I would ever keep doing work in this field for as long as I have. Have done a lot of different types of work. I like what I do now.
                            "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

First message in this forum.

Hi; for those of you who may know me, yes, I am the same DMS 525 who posts a lot in Officer.com.

Why I switched to security? Try not to run on: I worked as a pt/reserve small town cop just before I went into the Army in the early 80's. When I was in the Army, I was stationed 8 hours from home for the first 2 years, so I still did reserve and fill in work when I could. I then went overseas for 2 years. That was when this stupid, stuffed-shirt state of mine decided to pass a law requiring a non-certified police officer to be academy certified within one year of hire. Fine and dandy, but in order to go to the academy in this state, you must be hired by an agency first! A lot of small cities, rather than pay you to be gone for 10 weeks, would much rather hire someone who is already academy certified. Biggest Catch-22 I have ever run into. Furthermore, in this state, there is a tendency towards it's not what you know, but who you know.
                              After I got out of the Army, I decided to give security a whirl, to hold me until I got a LE job somewhere. Ended up being in it for over 11 years. Most of what I did involved mobile patrols, alarm response, situation response, and standing duty at posts requiring an armed officer. Every company I worked for; I worked my way up to supervisor, and had my times, both good and bad, of dealing with all kinds of employees, and all kinds of higher-ups.

About 10 years ago, the one agency I worked for went out of business, which is about the time I decided to get into the only other thing I was any good at; driving a truck. Been offered security jobs since, but they didn't want to pay me for my experience and knowledge, so I told them to stuff it!

I may go into being a reserve police officer, but not at the expense of a lot of money, time lost for training, or running around with my nose up someone's backside! Not for a job that only pays a dollar a year.
                              Never make a drummer mad; we beat things for a living!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X